Total Quartz Energy 9000 or Motul 8100 X-clean FE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jetronic,

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
Valvoline Synpower 5w30 (thinner than total, thicker than Gulf but most easy to get locally)all 3 are MB229.5

I am running this oil for the second year in my engine. The engine is running slightly rough compared to Elf Excellium 5W-40 which Nissan OD used previosly. But Valvoline has very good UOA results according to some of the eastern europe forums I am checking.

Originally Posted By: volodymyr
Jetronic,

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
Valvoline Synpower 5w30 (thinner than total, thicker than Gulf but most easy to get locally)all 3 are MB229.5

I am running this oil for the second year in my engine. The engine is running slightly rough compared to Elf Excellium 5W-40 which Nissan OD used previosly. But Valvoline has very good UOA results according to some of the eastern europe forums I am checking.

Good to know....

My attention got drawn to the total quartz energy because of the comments re extra smooth running here on the forum.

If you would like to check, also search for Elf Excellium full-tech 0w-30, it's the old name. I suppose it's an old Elf oil.

Valvoline oils are available in my area. They can be ordered from an online store.
And the selection is quite qood.

Shell Helix Ultra is also available from another online shop, which actually keeps in stock Castrol oils in 5 litre containers. Not any cheaper than other oils and a subject to delivery charges.

So, a wide enough choice when shopping online.

Seweryn,

Originally Posted By: Seweryn
So, a wide enough choice when shopping online.

My subjective opinion is:

- great choices are Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40, Valvoline SynPower 5W-40, Motul 8100 X-cess 5W-40 and Total Quartz Energy 9000 5W-40

- very good choices are Total Quartz 9000 5W-40, Fuchs Titan Supersyn 5W-40 and Valvoline MaxLife Synthetic 5W-40 (assuming your engine has big mileage, but this oil should be used when you have alread leaks, and not before)

All of the above oils are with-in the recommended specification of your engine according to your manual.

Hello Popsy,

Originally Posted By: Popsy
Why put quartz 9000 «above» energy 9000?
It has «only» 229.3 specs vs 229.5 for Quartz 9000 energy, just curious.

In my message I put Total Quartz Energy 9000 5W-40 (MB 229.5) above Total Quartz 9000 5W-40 (MB 229.3) implying that Total Quartz Energy 9000 5W-40 oil is better.

Seweryn,

My subjective opinion is:

- great choices are Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40, Valvoline SynPower 5W-40, Motul 8100 X-cess 5W-40 and Total Quartz Energy 9000 5W-40

- very good choices are Total Quartz 9000 5W-40, Fuchs Titan Supersyn 5W-40 and Valvoline MaxLife Synthetic 5W-40 (assuming your engine has big mileage, but this oil should be used when you have alread leaks, and not before)

All of the above oils are with-in the recommended specification of your engine according to your manual.

Thanks volodymyr,

The engine actually has low mileage (less than 100k km), no leaks or any detectable oil consumption, and currently runs on 5W30 oil. That is where my original idea of using lower viscosity oil came from.

I remember the Fuchs oils are also available locally, so may be another decent option.

Interestingly, there are no oils specifically dedicated to Diesel engines. I remember years ago there were oils specified for Diesel engines only (or petrols only).

Seweryn,

The engine actually has low mileage (less than 100k km), no leaks or any detectable oil consumption, and currently runs on 5W30 oil. That is where my original idea of using lower viscosity oil came from.

I like to play by the book (owners manual) because when you resell the car it is very easy to show the next owner the recommendations in the manual and then all the bills for oils used during the life of the vehicle. Also only Peugeot knows the best oil for your engine, so if they say 5W-40 you should use it. (there maybe some deviations here because 5W-30 oils with MB 229.5 will be probably as thick as 5W-40, but this is another discussion)

Since you just changed oil in Honda Prelude a wise choice will be to drive Prelude a lot and see how it runs on Quartz 9000 5W-40. If everything is fine you can use this oil in second vehicle. I used this kind of beta testing as well by first trying to test oil on cheap and old car before using in new/expensive one
smile.gif

Let us know your final choice and how the engine feels after you change the oil. Not many people come back to bitog to share the final choice with us
smile.gif

Last edited:
In my message I put Total Quartz Energy 9000 5W-40 (MB 229.5) above Total Quartz 9000 5W-40 (MB 229.3) implying that Total Quartz Energy 9000 5W-40 oil is better.

My bad, misunderstood this. The "Energy" is also slightly thinner if I remember corectly.

I ran Total Quartz 9000 5W40 for a short while, not bad, but my engine is smoother with M1 0W40 or SHU 5W40. Mobil oil are almost twice the price of Total here, though...I can almost buy Motul 300V for the price of Mobil 1 (if Mobil 1 not on sale).

If I had a car with 2.0L HDI motor, I'd have a hard time choosing between xW30 and x40 oil. These motors can run an almost anything in temperate climates..including Total Quartz racing 10W50
smile.gif

Edit : BTW I'll switch GF's car to Total 0W30 for the winter (probably), probably this week end if I can find the oil easily, will report back on how it runs.

As volodymyr said, use the Total mate, it's really good and you can rationalise to one oil then.

The climate of Blighty and Eire is temperate/moderate which is the easiest climate to operate in.

Last edited:

Let us know your final choice and how the engine feels after you change the oil. Not many people come back to bitog to share the final choice with us
smile.gif

Sure, I am back just minutes after I got the oil changed
smile.gif

Finally, I have decided on the Total Quartz 9000 Energy 0W30, which was my original first choice, but I wanted to thank you all for other recommendations. The online shop selling this oil had some price drop on the Black Oil Friday of whatever you call it, so I went for it.

The old oil was black as black oil can be, but looked fine to me and I can't say the oil change was overdue (about 15k km / 9k miles since changed last if the last owner was honest).

Changed the oil this morning, but I only started the engine to hear how it runs and then my other half took the car, as she is the main driver of that car. The first impression I had is that the engine runs fine on idle, is quiet, and all seems fine, but I will report back after I take the car for a longer spin, start it from cold, etc. This may not happen for another couple of weeks, but I will be back when it happens.

The filter in that engine sits horizontally, so I could only prime it with a few drops of oil. When starting the engine after the oil change, would say 20 sec. be enough before you apply a load to the engine? The oil pressure light was off 2-3 sec. after I started the engine, but I am not sure how soon the full pressure builds up on the bearings after the start post oil change...

Thanks again and I will update on the subject when I get to drive the car.

Thanks for your return on this oil.

The oil filters sit horizontally in all but one of my car, when I change a filter I usually fill it around half full, then spin it to let the media be impregnated by oil, then I try to screw it as fast as possible so there's no oil dropping.
The Colt has a vertically mounted filter, much more practical (even when removing it).

Depending on the weather, I usually wait 30-45s after starting the car to put any load...the oil pressure light goes off as soon as the starter makes the engine turn so I don't think it is a valid indicator!

I took the car for a long journey last night and noticed the engine ran really well. Not sure if it runs much or any better than before, but sounds as smooth as ever and is lively at higher speeds.

Starts easily and is smooth from cold as well.

So far so good.

smile.gif

Sure, I am back just minutes after I got the oil changed
smile.gif

Finally, I have decided on the Total Quartz 9000 Energy 0W30, which was my original first choice, but I wanted to thank you all for other recommendations. The online shop selling this oil had some price drop on the Black Oil Friday of whatever you call it, so I went for it.

The old oil was black as black oil can be, but looked fine to me and I can't say the oil change was overdue (about 15k km / 9k miles since changed last if the last owner was honest).

Changed the oil this morning, but I only started the engine to hear how it runs and then my other half took the car, as she is the main driver of that car. The first impression I had is that the engine runs fine on idle, is quiet, and all seems fine, but I will report back after I take the car for a longer spin, start it from cold, etc. This may not happen for another couple of weeks, but I will be back when it happens.

The filter in that engine sits horizontally, so I could only prime it with a few drops of oil. When starting the engine after the oil change, would say 20 sec. be enough before you apply a load to the engine? The oil pressure light was off 2-3 sec. after I started the engine, but I am not sure how soon the full pressure builds up on the bearings after the start post oil change...

Thanks again and I will update on the subject when I get to drive the car.

That's what I've been using for about 3 weeks now.
Got it from a shop in Swansea. 24 pounds + shipping. (5 litres)

Hi Guys,

Due for an oil change again in the 406. I used the Total Quartz Energy 9000 0W30 ever since (I think three changes), however would like to listen if there is any new alternative preferably in 0W30 or 5W30 Diesel specific without the DPF additives.

I've had a few 406s myself. They're fantastic motors!

I'd look at a heavy duty engine oil. They're not fussy on viscosity at all. Any *w30 or *w40 would be fine. Either ACEA A3/B4, E6 or E9.

I used to run mine on Millers Oils Trident 10w40 Semi Synthetic.

Originally Posted By: Bailes1992
I've had a few 406s myself. They're fantastic motors!

I'd look at a heavy duty engine oil. They're not fussy on viscosity at all. Any *w30 or *w40 would be fine. Either ACEA A3/B4, E6 or E9.

I used to run mine on Millers Oils Trident 10w40 Semi Synthetic.

Yeah, they are great machines with reliable and economical engines and not fussy on oil in general. I am not planing changing the car, so would prefer to treat it well
wink.gif

Last edited:
Just one more oil for comparison as an option, I hope you don't mind:

Shell Helix Ultra ECT 0W30 - API SN, ACEA C3, MB 229.51

(there is also a version called ECT C2/C3, MB 229.52 also 0W30).

Edit: just noticed it is DPF compatible oil...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back