Best oil for Audi R8 V8

Hello everyone!

I'm looking for some advice on which engine oil to use for my Audi R8 V8.
After some research, I've narrowed my options down to three:
- Castrol Edge 5W30 Professional LL (which has been used on my car for over 10 years)
- Motul 8100 X-Clean+ 5W30
- Mobil 1 ESP 5W30

All three oils have a similar price point of around 12€ per liter and meet the specification 504 and 507. However, I'm still struggling to decide which one to go with.

I've come across some older posts on this forum, but I know that things can change quickly in the automotive world. So, I was hoping to get some recent feedback from anyone who has used any of these oils.
What has been your experience in terms of performance, reliability, and overall value?

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you so much in advance for your help!

Xclean+ is well regarded and if they're all equally priced or so I'd use that. But any of them will make that engine last long enough to where wear wouldn't be the killer. It would be some odd failure which no oil would've prevented so you can't fault yourself.

Hello everyone!

I'm looking for some advice on which engine oil to use for my Audi R8 V8.
After some research, I've narrowed my options down to three:
- Castrol Edge 5W30 Professional LL (which has been used on my car for over 10 years)
- Motul 8100 X-Clean+ 5W30
- Mobil 1 ESP 5W30

All three oils have a similar price point of around 12€ per liter and meet the specification 504 and 507. However, I'm still struggling to decide which one to go with.

I've come across some older posts on this forum, but I know that things can change quickly in the automotive world. So, I was hoping to get some recent feedback from anyone who has used any of these oils.
What has been your experience in terms of performance, reliability, and overall value?

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you so much in advance for your help!
If you need mid-SAPS C3, which it sounds like your engine specifies in the EU, I would choose Mobil 1 ESP X3 0W-40. If you insist on a 30 grade, other mid SAPS options with slightly higher HTHS are Ravenol REP or VMP 5W-30. Those are all fairly expensive oils, but this is an Audi R8. I'm sure the ESP or Castrol you listed are fine, and if you've been running it for 10 years already then it's probably working fine.

Thank you guys!

I have noticed that many people recommend Mobil 1 0w40 on this forum. However, as I live in Italy, I'm not sure if this grade would be the best choice for my car, given the typical temperature range of 0°C to 35°C.
The recommended grade for my model [Audi R8 V8 309kw 2007-2010] in the EU is 5w30.

@chris719, I value your expertise on this topic. Considering the factors mentioned, would you still recommend Mobil 1 0w40 for my car? Thank you in advance for your response.

Thank you guys!

I have noticed that many people recommend Mobil 1 0w40 on this forum. However, as I live in Italy, I'm not sure if this grade would be the best choice for my car, given the typical temperature range of 0°C to 35°C.
The recommended grade for my model [Audi R8 V8 309kw 2007-2010] in the EU is 5w30.

@chris719, I value your expertise on this topic. Considering the factors mentioned, would you still recommend Mobil 1 0w40 for my car? Thank you in advance for your response.
I assume you are no longer under warranty, so you are fine to deviate. A Euro 0W-40 and 5W-30 are actually not too far apart. VW 504/507 is similar to Porsche C30, while the 0W-40s will be Porsche C40 / VW 511. For an engine like the R8 has, I would personally prefer a C40 / 511 oil. The Mobil 1 ESP X3 0W-40 is used in all 911s including the GT3 RS. I would also recommend you use the ESP X3 0W-40 over the regular Mobil 1 0W-40 FS because your car specifies a mid SAPS oil. The regular 0W-40 FS is full SAPS. The only meaningful difference for your engine is that the ESP X3 might keep your intake valves cleaner a bit longer.

I would say it really doesn't matter that much. You've used the Castrol 5W-30 for years and as long as you are not tracking the car a lot, I am sure it's adequate. Still, if I owned an R8 I would use a 0W-40 or 5W-40. Motul X-clean Gen 2 5W-40 or Castrol Edge 5W-40 M would be fine too.

Last edited:
Thank you guys!

Yeah a lot don't take a hint when liters and non $ is used so I didn't recommend M1 FS 0w-40. Had you used dollars and quarts i too would've suggested that though. But yes M1 0w-40 is suitable for the 4.2 v8. I don't think it's available in most of Europe so buy within your local market to avoid added costs.

Yeah a lot don't take a hint when liters and non $ is used so I didn't recommend M1 FS 0w-40. Had you used dollars and quarts i too would've suggested that though. But yes M1 0w-40 is suitable for the 4.2 v8. I don't think it's available in most of Europe so buy within your local market to avoid added costs.
I'm pretty sure M1 0W-40 FS is widely available in Europe. The main issue is that it is full SAPS and his engine is an early VAG GDI engine which are notorious for intake valve deposits. This is why I recommended he stick with C3 oils that are mid SAPS.

7k1sy1.jpg

Back