Torn Purolator UOAs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Putting out an all-points bulletin to encourage people to post UOAs of OCIs with torn Purolators. Having hard numbers will only help in pushing Purolator to step up quality, and I'll bet many of us are curious to see how much the media tears affect insolubles.

Knowledge is power! ...or something.

Torn media certainly can't help a UOA.
frown.gif

Oil will still get filtered with the tear at the media, but it might take multiple passes to catch something large than a single pass which could result in more wear.

I would be interested to see these uoa too, but probably no worse than over loaded filters I've seen produce high insolubles in the past.

Here is a uoa with 0.7 insolubles by Blackstone with only 5 ppm iron. You can see a torn media slit might not even effect wear if that was the case. This thread actually has the filter cut open but no tears.

http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f169/pennzoil-ultra-5w40-used-oil-analysis-4700-miles-612876/

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Torn media certainly can't help a UOA.
frown.gif

Of course not. I'm not sticking up for Purolator at all, but I bet a UOA won't be that bad either. The majority of the oil will still be going through the media and will be getting filtered, it's just that some of the oil will not be filtered.
One must remember 50+ years ago, there were bypass filters on a lot engines, especially agricultural engines and many of them are still going strong without ever getting an overhaul. A bypass filter from this era MIGHT filter 5% of each oil pass.
I'm not sticking up for Purolator in any way here. It's just that the majority of the oil going through an oil filter that has compromised media will get filtered. I'd be more worried about the media that completely separates from the filter and exits out the filter completely and plugs up an oil passage.

My line of thinking is similar to Kruse's. It's unacceptable for filters to be tearing as the Purolators are but I think they will still return a semi-decent UOA under normal conditions.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
I'm not sticking up for Purolator in any way here. It's just that the majority of the oil going through an oil filter that has compromised media will get filtered.

It really depends on how big the tear hole is. The larger the tear, the more unfiltered oil will pass the media. The laws of fluid flow says it will always take the path of least resistance, so if the tear becomes large and produces a path with much less resistance, then a lot more unfiltered oil will pass.

This tear was pretty large IMO ... I'm sure it was allowing quite a bit of oil volume through. Plus, there was a similar tear on the other end of that same pleat. The cross sectional area was probably equal or greater than the bypass valve, so it would be like running the filter with the bypass valve open all the time.

DSCF7137a.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back