2018 tuned/tracked Golf Sportwagen 92K/5K OCI HPL Euro 5W40

TiGeo

$50 site donor 2024
2018 Golf Sportwagen. 91,790 miles/4,913 mile OCI. HPL Euro 5W40. This OCI includes 2 track days and general hard driving on an all-day mountain cruise. I could probalby run this stuff 10K miles TBH regardless but like a lot of us, 5K just works well and ~2 oil changes are a year aren’t breaking the bank even with the liquid gold. I have noted some minor consumption since starting to use HPL last year which is odd for this car so will just have to keep an eye on it – do the PAO/Ester oils show have this issue more than the Group 3 stuff? I’ve included my running graphs which are quite interesting to me and follow the expected trends w/r to adding new hardware, repairs, and possibly a bad air filter on this last one that has been changed out. Keep in mind for Si that HPL VOAs I’ve done show 11 ppm so hard to say. Looks like the impacts of the timing chain repair w/r to UOA are passing through/dropping so maybe next change the Fe + Al will return to normal pre-repair levels. This fill should stay in until later this year and will get several track days on it in warmer temps. Overall, the viscosity held in there better than most changes I've done and TBN is strong. At this point I'll stop paying BS $10 for TBN, not worth it, I'll never get close to having an issue. Overall, level 11 HPL fanboi unlocked! Always funny to read the comments - I'll actually email them my charts, yes, while the Al absolute is high the rate/1,000 miles is the better way to look at it and it's dropped off. That was a big repair and I'll bet next change it's lower.

Capture2.JPG
Capture.JPG

Comparing to your 8/24/22 sample, I’m not seeing a whole lot of difference. Yes, the fuel dilution is up.

2018 Golf Sportwagen. 91,790 miles/4,913 mile OCI. HPL Euro 5W40. This OCI includes 2 track days and general hard driving on an all-day mountain cruise. I could probalby run this stuff 10K miles TBH regardless but like a lot of us, 5K just works well and ~2 oil changes are a year aren’t breaking the bank even with the liquid gold. I have noted some minor consumption since starting to use HPL last year which is odd for this car so will just have to keep an eye on it – do the PAO/Ester oils show have this issue more than the Group 3 stuff? I’ve included my running graphs which are quite interesting to me and follow the expected trends w/r to adding new hardware, repairs, and possibly a bad air filter on this last one that has been changed out. Keep in mind for Si that HPL VOAs I’ve done show 11 ppm so hard to say. Looks like the impacts of the timing chain repair w/r to UOA are passing through/dropping so maybe next change the Fe + Al will return to normal pre-repair levels. This fill should stay in until later this year and will get several track days on it in warmer temps. Overall, the viscosity held in there better than most changes I've done and TBN is strong. At this point I'll stop paying BS $10 for TBN, not worth it, I'll never get close to having an issue. Overall, level 11 HPL fanboi unlocked! Always funny to read the comments - I'll actually email them my charts, yes, while the Al absolute is high the rate/1,000 miles is the better way to look at it and it's dropped off. That was a big repair and I'll bet next change it's lower.

View attachment 154365View attachment 154363
Nice report. Low iron levels. It's so nice to finally see someone with prudent OCI's designed to keep their engine clean from sludge and varnish.

Comparing to your 8/24/22 sample, I’m not seeing a whole lot of difference. Yes, the fuel dilution is up.
Yeah, almost identical, same oil, roughly same OCI. That oil on 8/24/22 was the oil in there at time of repair that was changed during the repair. Lots of new internal bits here so it's not suprising to still see higher metals at this point. I think next change will be lower across the board.

Nice report. Low iron levels. It's so nice to finally see someone with prudent OCI's designed to keep their engine clean from sludge and varnish.
I did a 9K OCI early on but it was tuned and did have a larger OE turbo (not as big as one now). Just really no need to push it on this car and 5K is just the way to go here. I have no reason to try to save money on this one with long oil changes. In fact if you look at my signature, I basically do 5K on all of them. I had a '00 Jetta I bought new in '99 and did do 10K changes on that car for quite a long time b/c I was driving it 30K/year almost all highway. That car went 14 years/220K without major issues so 10K changes with M1 0W40. I'm sure the engine was ok looking inside so keep in mind in that use case, longer OCIs are fine/make sense so you aren't changing your oil all the time but here, with 10-12K annual mileage? ~5K changes all day so 2x a year at most. Short trips + DI + fuel dilution = 5K regardless of oil type for me.

Looks good under the circumstances & we'll keep a watch out for the higher aluminum. Not paying for a TBN just makes sense in this situation, to save the $10, since your 5w-40 HPL comes with great TBN retention.

You've heard me before but I'll say it again. I like your graphs! 😀

Do you run 1/8th or 1/4 mile in your area track?

Looks good under the circumstances & we'll keep a watch out for the higher aluminum. Not paying for a TBN just makes sense in this situation, to save the $10, since your 5w-40 HPL comes with great TBN retention.

Both. Track is this:

I've done lots of drag racing. 1/4 mile and 1/8 mile. The 1/8 mile no-prep street racing is my favorite. Car surprises a lot of folks. DSG trans and launch control is great for it. Car at best has done 12.10 @ 113.43 in the 1/4 and 7.79 @ 90.87.

Last edited:
Both. Track is this:

That is great! Liked the hand wave to the car in front. lol Your car has very good times!

Not to muck up your thread but this is a brand new race track that was developed, in last couple of years, just 15 miles away from where I live. (Track in Gravois Mills, MO)

Last edited:
That is great! Liked the hand wave to the car in front. lol Your car has very good times!

Not to muck up your thread but this is a brand new race track that was developed, in last couple of years, just 15 miles away from where I live. (Track in Gravois Mills, MO)

Hand wave was waving off a pass/point-by. Sometimes it's fun to just follow folks. I'm still pretty new to the track thing, I've had a total of 10 days on track all at VIRginia Internatinal Raceway.

Hand wave was waving off a pass/point-by. Sometimes it's fun to just follow folks. I'm still pretty new to the track thing, I've had a total of 10 days on track all at VIRginia Internatinal Raceway.
And I bet you're getting better with each pass. Thanks for sharing!

And I bet you're getting better with each pass. Thanks for sharing!
For sure, at least at VIR I'd say I have several hundred laps so the racing line is not an issue...just getting faster in a few areas to the limits I'm comfortable with...always have to keep in mind this is my daily vehicle.

For sure, at least at VIR I'd say I have several hundred laps so the racing line is not an issue...just getting faster in a few areas to the limits I'm comfortable with...always have to keep in mind this is my daily vehicle.
I know what you mean there. I raced my 98 Eldorado quite a few times & was always waiting for the head gaskets to pop which they eventually did stranding the wife & I 1500 miles from home. :cautious:

Back