A Better Choice Than FL820S ?

I'm seeking help regarding finding a filter for my needs please. I have searched here extensively but it seems there have been a lot of changes to the recommended filters in recent history so I feel a new thread is warranted.

Use:
2020 Ford F350 7.3L
Used for job that requires a lot of idle time
Engine hours 3250 (2000hrs of those are idle time)
I use a 200hr OCI (250 max), usually 1-2 months between OCI
Would like a filter I'm comfortable using for two OCI.

History:
I originally bought a 12 pack of MC FL820S filters plus a extra when the truck was new, I still have one left I believe, shortly after is when I started to see all the reports of media tears so I searched here and at the time the WIX XP seemed to be a good choice so I bought 10 of them.

However in extreme cold starts (-40) I experienced some leaking from what appears to be around the base crimp, after some research this is not uncommon. That rules the WIX XP out for winter use, I still have 6 or 7 of them left so I will use them over the summers.

Which brings me back to looking for a filter again, I don't get a warm tingly feeling about the 820s, it seems the quality is really going down hill. I can't seem to allow myself to use it for two OCI.

So what options do I have?
The Ford racing 820s appear to be well constructed but are pricey (best I can find is $30 CAD when bought in bulk) and from my understanding they don't have great filtration specs for the price.

It seems Fram is highly regarded but also I read of recent changes with them as well? It seems the price is OK.

Fleetgaurd? Anyone have a part number for the 820 equivalent?

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

This experience is with my 2005 Ford 4.0l SOHC.
With a Fram Ultra XG-2 waiting on the shelf, I included a Bosch 3410 to reach free shipping on a recent parts order.
The weight of the Bosch was impressive and its ADBV holds longer than the WIX it replaced.
I believe the Bosch filters to be made well.

While I like the idea of opening filters for inspection, it's one of those things I don't get around to doing.

Is the Champion Labs PH820XL similar or identical to an STP S2?
I have one of those too but it will likely be given to a friend.

Thx to JMJNet for the nifty cross-ref site.

Last edited:
If tearing is your concern then Fram Endurance can be purchased from Walmart or if you're not worried about the greatest efficiency a Purolator Boss will work great. You're right That is a lot of idle hours.

Last edited:
With a Fram Ultra XG-2 waiting on the shelf, I included a Bosch 3410 to reach free shipping on a recent parts order.
The weight of the Bosch was impressive and its ADBV holds longer than the WIX it replaced.

While I like the idea of opening filters for inspection, it's one of those things I don't get around to doing.

Thanks, looks like that Bosch 3410 could be a contender and its available for $9CAD which is a bonus

Doing some research on the Bosch 3410, it has a base end bypass which was one of the things I liked about the FL820S. Good to see.

This is currently on the top of my list.

Bosch 3410
Base End Bypass
99% at 20 Microns
Synthetic Blend Media

Open to others opinions

Hi JWC86,
The criteria that impacted me the most was the 2 month OCI and a lot of idling. This means your going to be buying a lot of filters annually so performance with value is key. Combined with a poor history with Motorcraft, it's time to move on.

I recommend the Champ XL. It has a unit price of $3.51 at RockAuto. If you buy 6 at a time the $4.99 shipping ends up being $.83/filter for a total cost of $4.34. For that you'll be getting a 15,000 mile rated filter with 99% efficiency at 20 micron level filtering, silicone anti-drain back and synthetic blend media.

Similar but not identical.

I'm seeking help regarding finding a filter for my needs please. I have searched here extensively but it seems there have been a lot of changes to the recommended filters in recent history so I feel a new thread is warranted.

Use:
2020 Ford F350 7.3L
Used for job that requires a lot of idle time
Engine hours 3250 (2000hrs of those are idle time)
I use a 200hr OCI (250 max), usually 1-2 months between OCI
Would like a filter I'm comfortable using for two OCI.

History:
I originally bought a 12 pack of MC FL820S filters plus a extra when the truck was new, I still have one left I believe, shortly after is when I started to see all the reports of media tears so I searched here and at the time the WIX XP seemed to be a good choice so I bought 10 of them.

However in extreme cold starts (-40) I experienced some leaking from what appears to be around the base crimp, after some research this is not uncommon. That rules the WIX XP out for winter use, I still have 6 or 7 of them left so I will use them over the summers.

Which brings me back to looking for a filter again, I don't get a warm tingly feeling about the 820s, it seems the quality is really going down hill. I can't seem to allow myself to use it for two OCI.

So what options do I have?
The Ford racing 820s appear to be well constructed but are pricey (best I can find is $30 CAD when bought in bulk) and from my understanding they don't have great filtration specs for the price.

It seems Fram is highly regarded but also I read of recent changes with them as well? It seems the price is OK.

Fleetgaurd? Anyone have a part number for the 820 equivalent?

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Look 4 an Oil Filter with a Wire Backed Media!

Hi JWC86,
The criteria that impacted me the most was the 2 month OCI and a lot of idling. This means your going to be buying a lot of filters annually so performance with value is key. Combined with a poor history with Motorcraft, it's time to move on.

I recommend the Champ XL. It has a unit price of $3.51 at RockAuto. If you buy 6 at a time the $4.99 shipping ends up being $.83/filter for a total cost of $4.34. For that you'll be getting a 15,000 mile rated filter with 99% efficiency at 20 micron level filtering, silicone anti-drain back and synthetic blend media.
I noticed you were considering the Bosch brand. It is at 99% @20 microns also but is 10,000 mile rated and is a little more expensive at $4.17 plus $4.99 shipping at Rockauto.

I noticed you were considering the Bosch brand. It is at 99% @20 microns also but is 10,000 mile rated and is a little more expensive at $4.17 plus $4.99 shipping at Rockauto.
Im seeing conflicting information as to the Bosch 3410 having a inlet bypass or dome end bypass. If it is indeed a inlet end bypass I will just buy a dozen of them and be done with it.

Might have to see if I can find one local if no one can confirm.

Hi JWC86,

Yes I agree about moving on from the Motorcraft, they are probably fine but I hate having the doubt in the back of my mind.

The Champ XL is high on my list also.

These will do two OCI’s any day

Agreed but there's a couple of tradeoffs.
Positive - only removing the filter 3 times a year versus 6
Negative - the Endurance is $12.97/2 or $6.48 / oil change versus $4.34 for the Champ XL, $2.00 more per OCI.

Ok, doing some more research on the Bosch 3410. Some of the cut opens show the bypass on the thread end and others on the dome end so they must have changed it. The question is did they switch to dome end or switch ti thread end…

It’s crazy how often these manufactures change their designs. When I settle on a filter I think I will buy 20 of them just to not have to go through this so often.

Ok, doing some more research on the Bosch 3410. Some of the cut opens show the bypass on the thread end and others on the dome end so they must have changed it. The question is did they switch to dome end or switch ti thread end…

It’s crazy how often these manufactures change their designs. When I settle on a filter I think I will buy 20 of them just to not have to go through this so often.

I like your thinking on 20 oil filters, I have a Fram FE2 and a Fram XG2 on my Desk, I have 3 new XG2's and 1 FE2 in my stash. The XG2 is a bit longer than the FE2. If you really want 20 oil filters then go to WalMart with a flashlight and make sure the XG2's they have are Wire Backed.

I also have a Royal Purple 20-820 oil filter that is maybe just maybe slightly heavier than the FS2

If you get rid of your vehicle there will always be buyers for the old XG2 Oil Filter, kind of like the people that love the old Mobil 1 2 stroke oil, was it called XT1?

Doing some research on the Bosch 3410, it has a base end bypass which was one of the things I liked about the FL820S. Good to see.

This is currently on the top of my list.

Bosch 3410
Base End Bypass
99% at 20 Microns
Synthetic Blend Media

Open to others opinions
Looking at photos of the Bosch 3410, it doesn't look like it could have a base end bypass valve. Where did that info come from?

Back