A Better Choice Than FL820S ?

Ok, doing some more research on the Bosch 3410. Some of the cut opens show the bypass on the thread end and others on the dome end so they must have changed it. The question is did they switch to dome end or switch ti thread end…
I'd bet it was switched from a base end to a dome end. Base end bypass valves are more complicated and add more cost. It's another cost cutting move.

I'd bet it was switched from a base end to a dome end. Base end bypass valves are more complicated and add more cost. It's another cost cutting move.
Ya that’s most likely the case.

What do we think of the Fram XG2? I see that available on Rock Auto…

Many reports here of the Fram Ultra XG2 still being wire backed media. If so, can't go wrong with that.
Fram XG2 > Champ XL ?

I’ve considered the Ford Racing 820 also as the construction looks to be very good but looks like it’s not synthetic media? Disappointing for the price. When bought in bulk they appear to be about 2X the cost of a Fram XG2 for me.

Fram XG2 > Champ XL ?

I’ve considered the Ford Racing 820 also as the construction looks to be very good but looks like it’s not synthetic media? Disappointing for the price. When bought in bulk they appear to be about 2X the cost of a Fram XG2 for me.
The Ford Racing 820 prioritizes flow over efficiency-the XG2 will give you both flow AND efficiency. Good news is, I haven't seen a NON-wire backed XG2 yet, so the WMs (& Meijers, is any around), should have a solid selection of OG Ultra XG2s. Even Ford has moved on from the base-end bypass on the updated version of the FL820S, so I don't worry too much about it.

The Ford Racing 820 prioritizes flow over efficiency-the XG2 will give you both flow AND efficiency.
The Ford Racing oil filter seems to actually be pretty efficient. This is old data, but it shows the efficiency is 99% @ 20u. It also shows that it flows well (ie, a low dP vs Flow curve). You have official info that shows otherwise?

1687215402791.png

The Ford Racing oil filter seems to actually be pretty efficient. This is old data, but it shows the efficiency is 99% @ 20u. It also shows that it flows well (ie, a low dP vs Flow curve). You have official info that shows otherwise?

View attachment 162315
Is that a Mann/Purolator made filter? I wasn’t aware they made (or used) media that was rated that high? Still can’t believe it would out flow & out filter an OG Ultra, Ascent showed the original Ultra out filtered all the other filters they tested by a large margin, even hitting 50% @ 5 microns-no conventional or synblend media is going to be near that.

I run the 820S for years without issue. I do get it when people feel nervous over it. I’ve cut quiet a few open and never found any tears. I also never start the Mustang in the dead of winter. It’s just a summer car. I’ve never noticed any leaks from the oil filter.

I’ve run Fram as well. No issues to report.

Idling long periods with variable displacement oil pumps worries me. That 7.3 has had some lifter and cam issues. I somewhat think that oil pump is probably not giving enough oil to the engine idling.

I run the 820S for years without issue. I do get it when people feel nervous over it. I’ve cut quiet a few open and never found any tears. I also never start the Mustang in the dead of winter. It’s just a summer car. I’ve never noticed any leaks from the oil filter.

I’ve run Fram as well. No issues to report.

Idling long periods with variable displacement oil pumps worries me. That 7.3 has had some lifter and cam issues. I somewhat think that oil pump is probably not giving enough oil to the engine idling.
Ya it will be interesting to see if this truck will make it to 10,000 engine hours without eating the lifters.

When I bought the truck they advertised the 7.3 as being built for work truck duty’s including extended idling. Meanwhile it seems the trucks that are having issues are box trucks with extended idle hours and a good history of frequent oil changes….

It’s on warranty until 240,000km which should be around 9,000 hrs given my current use. If it makes it until then with out issue I’ll probably inspect the lifters and go from there.

Ya it will be interesting to see if this truck will make it to 10,000 engine hours without eating the lifters.

When I bought the truck they advertised the 7.3 as being built for work truck duty’s including extended idling. Meanwhile it seems the trucks that are having issues are box trucks with extended idle hours and a good history of frequent oil changes….

It’s on warranty until 240,000km which should be around 9,000 hrs given my current use. If it makes it until then with out issue I’ll probably inspect the lifters and go from there.
One could argue if you run the 820S while under warranty, then Ford can't make a stink about using another brands oil filter.

The ones I've cut open have never torn but they look sketchy. Millions of 820S have been used so its not like engines are blowing up everyday. Most people never cut oil filters open.

I've posted pictures of the filters over the years here. I generally only go through 1 filter a year, changed in the fall when I park it.

One could argue if you run the 820S while under warranty, then Ford can't make a stink about using another brands oil filter.

The ones I've cut open have never torn but they look sketchy. Millions of 820S have been used so its not like engines are blowing up everyday. Most people never cut oil filters open.

I've posted pictures of the filters over the years here. I generally only go through 1 filter a year, changed in the fall when I park it.
I’ve considered sticking with the 820s just for that reason but I guess I’m just not all that worried about it.

I’ve cut open a few of the dozen or so that I’ve used and also haven’t seen any tears but also have seen some things I didn’t like at all. I’ll probably go to the Fram Ultra in the fall after I use up a few more of my older WIX XPs in the warmer months.

I'm seeking help regarding finding a filter for my needs please. I have searched here extensively but it seems there have been a lot of changes to the recommended filters in recent history so I feel a new thread is warranted.

Use:
2020 Ford F350 7.3L
Used for job that requires a lot of idle time
Engine hours 3250 (2000hrs of those are idle time)
I use a 200hr OCI (250 max), usually 1-2 months between OCI
Would like a filter I'm comfortable using for two OCI.

History:
I originally bought a 12 pack of MC FL820S filters plus a extra when the truck was new, I still have one left I believe, shortly after is when I started to see all the reports of media tears so I searched here and at the time the WIX XP seemed to be a good choice so I bought 10 of them.

However in extreme cold starts (-40) I experienced some leaking from what appears to be around the base crimp, after some research this is not uncommon. That rules the WIX XP out for winter use, I still have 6 or 7 of them left so I will use them over the summers.

Which brings me back to looking for a filter again, I don't get a warm tingly feeling about the 820s, it seems the quality is really going down hill. I can't seem to allow myself to use it for two OCI.

So what options do I have?
The Ford racing 820s appear to be well constructed but are pricey (best I can find is $30 CAD when bought in bulk) and from my understanding they don't have great filtration specs for the price.

It seems Fram is highly regarded but also I read of recent changes with them as well? It seems the price is OK.

Fleetgaurd? Anyone have a part number for the 820 equivalent?

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.
FRAM ENDURANCE

View attachment 162315

Here’s the Ford Racing filter cut open and compared to a Wix Racing filter by Whip City Wrencher. Seeing this comparison video and the info posted by ZeeOSix, the Ford Racing filter looks like a really solid choice! I’ll be buying next for sure for my yearly OCI Fords.

Back