Top Tier gas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got gas at Shell today. The pump has a sticker but not sure if I'd call it "prominently displayed", at least based on the small size of the sticker.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by zrxkawboy
I use the Shell Fuel Rewards cards to get 5 cents off per gallon.

76 has a similar program. It varies by the day of the week, i save 6cents per gallon for filling up on Sundays or Tuesdays. Every other day is 4cts, I believe. My 76 I go to is typically 15 cents more than the ARCO across the street from it, so the 6cts makes me feel better. I don't mind ARCO gas if I'm in need, i just have been loyal to 76 and Chevron from my days growing up in CA.

Even in non top-tier fuel, there should be enough additive package to avoid serious drivability issues. This is not a CA thing, fuel detergents are required nationwide. With the DI Titan, check the manual to see what it recommends... would love to know if it's special fuel requirement. Post back.

Checked the pumps at a Shell station and two different Marathon stations. No sign of "Top Tier" anywhere on their pumps. I mentioned it earlier in this thread, but at least around here, Marathon-branded stations are always privately-owned and some are not the nicest looking places. I guess "older" looking is a more fair description.

How much teeth does this Top Tier thing really have ? Clearly it's not enforced and just because the sign on the station might be one on their list, I wouldn't trust that the fuel they supply meets their spec.

Originally Posted by Smokescreen
There are no stickers on any of the pumps since at least summer 2018...I even asked the attendant who verified.

The TT website only states, unless I missed something, that the TT logo be "prominently" displayed. Now we can discuss/debate what does or doesn't meet the definition of "prominently displayed" but my guess is a 3x3in sticker slapped anywhere will be in compliance with the requirement. Fwiw, TT also states enrolled brands/service stations are subject to unannounced inspection for compliance. (why a station wouldn't display the TT logo more prominently like you see on that 76 signage is beyond me. It's def a selling point for a lot of people like myself)

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Is TT even needed in DI engines?

Yes, the addtl detergents do a better job of helping keep clean the entire fuel system including your injectors, piston tops and combustion chamber.

Originally Posted by DGXR
Even in non top-tier fuel, there should be enough additive package to avoid serious drivability issues. This is not a CA thing, fuel detergents are required nationwide. With the DI Titan, check the manual to see what it recommends... would love to know if it's special fuel requirement. Post back.

The EPA mandated level is the bare minimum. AAA did a long term study and found significant benefits of using top tier detergent levels. Plus, in order to market your gas as TT, TT requires certain chemicals known to be problematic (like MMT) not be present in the fuel.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Got gas at Shell today. The pump has a sticker but not sure if I'd call it "prominently displayed", at least based on the small size of the sticker.

Our Shells have stickers, too, but even less prominently displayed than what you show. I think there's one sticker per pump. Maybe you could call it prominently, in that it's posted, if I recall correctly, near the inspection sticker. I'm not sure many have any idea what it means outside of people like us.

Originally Posted by Garak
Originally Posted by hallstevenson

Our Shells have stickers, too, but even less prominently displayed than what you show. I think there's one sticker per pump. Maybe you could call it prominently, in that it's posted, if I recall correctly, near the inspection sticker. I'm not sure many have any idea what it means outside of people like us.

I visit pretty much the same 76, Chevron and ARCO (-from time to time) and that's where they all have them. That's the first place I'll look for them if I'm road tripping. It's weird how the Costco pumps don't have them at the pump, given they're listed as a TT brand.

I haven't checked other pumps lately, since I haven't been at other pumps that frequently for a long time. I was with my god daughter when she filled at Mobil, and I didn't see anything, although it certainly is Top Tier. I may not have looked hard enough. As I've mentioned here before, the only company that really pushed Top Tier in their advertising ever was the Co-op, when they went Top Tier. They were handing out brochures about it.

I'll be darned.
Finally saw a "Top Tier" sticker. It was on a gas pump at a Shell station. First one I've seen after all these years.
Now I can sleep well tonight. Ha.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Garak
I haven't checked other pumps lately, since I haven't been at other pumps that frequently for a long time. I was with my god daughter when she filled at Mobil, and I didn't see anything, although it certainly is Top Tier. I may not have looked hard enough. As I've mentioned here before, the only company that really pushed Top Tier in their advertising ever was the Co-op, when they went Top Tier. They were handing out brochures about it.

Costco has Top Tier fuel and the corresponding badges slapped on the pumps.

Originally Posted by DaHen
I'll be darned.
Finally saw a "Top Tier" sticker. It was on a gas pump at a Shell station. First one I've seen after all these years.
smile.gif

I get my worst MPG on Shell.

Originally Posted by Tahoe4Life
Originally Posted by DaHen
I'll be darned.
smile.gif

I get my worst MPG on Shell.

And other Tahoe's in Mami have the best MPG's with Shell gas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back