Took the Amsoil plunge today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 340_Magnum
Originally Posted By: Dallas69
Amsoil is for people that want to pay twice the price to be seen as different
That's a very broad and inaccurate stereotype. I tried Amsoil because of its quality reputation. I couldn't care less about being seen as different.

X2

To be fair, let's not forget that statistical analysis was done for Iron only and Amsoil/Pennzoil have a tie. But I believe Amsoil has a higher HTHS viscosity which can make it a better oil in terms of Copper wear, i.e. journal bearings wear.

Originally Posted By: davison0976
To be fair, let's not forget that statistical analysis was done for Iron only and Amsoil/Pennzoil have a tie. But I believe Amsoil has a higher HTHS viscosity which can make it a better oil in terms of Copper wear, i.e. journal bearings wear.

I can't seem to find HTHS numbers for the latest Pennzoil Platinum PurePlus version.

Amsoil is listed at 3.2 to 3.3 depending on product line as referring to the 5W-30s.

I also find the ACEA specs or lack of ACEA specs interesting:

Product---------------------------------------PP-------SS--------XL------------OE

ACEA A1/B1-----------------------------------Yes--------Yes------Yes------------No

ACEA A5/B5-----------------------------------Yes--------Yes-------No------------No

A1/B1 Oil intended for use in gasoline and car + light van diesel engines specifically designed to be capable of using low friction low viscosity oils with a High temperature / High shear rate viscosity of 2.6 to 3.5 mPas.s. These oils may be unsuitable for use in some engines. Consult owner manual or handbook if in doubt.

A5/B5 Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use at extended drain intervals in high performance gasoline and car + light van diesel engines designed to be capable of using low friction low viscosity oils with a High temperature / High shear rate viscosity of 2.9 to 3.5 mPa.s. These oils may be unsuitable for use in some engines. Consult owner manual or handbook if in doubt.

When the verbage for A5/B5 calls out things like "Stable", "Stay-in-grade", "Extended Drain Intervals" and "High Performance", does it or should it mean a more robust oil versus an A1/B1 only oil?

And, can one conclude anything when an oil will not claim any ACEA spec?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back