Miles on oil: 3,689

Oil Used: Frankenblend
1 qt Pennzoil Platinum HM 10w30 SP
1 qt Pennzoil Platinum HM 5w30 SN
1 qt Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 SP
1 qt Quaker State Full Synthetic 10w30 SP
.8 qt Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5w30 SN

Filter: ACDelco PF47E

Here is the oil analysis for the Frankenblend that I ran in my LaCrosse this spring. It turns out that blending
a bunch of Shell/Pennzoil products together produces an oil that is, well, not much different than the
previous oils (STP and PP) I used.

The first run dated 10/29/22 was STP Full Synthetic 5w-30.
The second run dated 3/18/23 was Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30.

Compared to those oils, and accounting for the mileage difference from run to run, the
level of calcium, moly, phosphorus, and zinc of the Frankenblend was very similar. The magnesium level
was lower than the other oils. With the exception of the magnesium, the differences
look like noise to me.

The Frankenblend held viscosity better than the STP (although fuel dilution was a problem with
that run) and slightly worse than the PP, although not by much. Again, could be noise.

Funny enough, the wear metals were actually the best of the three. But again, the differences are small.
As before, I had to top off about half a quart during the run, which isn't much for an old 3800.
Visually, the spots on the garage floor from the leak are smaller for this run, not that they were big
in the first place.

Overall, the Frankenblend was not significantly different than the previous oils and was certainly
no worse from the look of the wear metals. The engine is healthy for its age, with no sign of
coolant in the oil, which is my main reason I do these UOAs.

The current fill is Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage 10w-30. I will run this oil for between 3500 and 4000
miles, which is the target I shoot for. Blackstone thinks I could go up to 6000, but oil is cheap
and I sleep better with a shorter run.

Thoughts?

05 LACROSSE.jpg

Last edited:
After Hurricane Katrina i had 2 friends move in with me for a few months from New Orleans. 1 Bought a late 90s Pontiac Bonneville, another bought a mid 90s Buick something something, both with the 3800. The Pontiac was ragged out but was a strong runner with 230k. The Buick had 320k. The Pontiac was resold after he got a better job, My Buick friend lost his vehicle to a engine harness fire at around 340k which I was sure was some sort of oil leak issue.

I love the frankenblend, looks great man. Thank you for sharing.

The similar brand oils you mixed up have a good chance of maintaining the same or similar add pack so there is no surprise there. If you would've used all different brands it may have looked differently. Either way, it appears this Buick is in excellent shape with 160k on it! You could live dangerous & bump it up to the 6k they referenced without fail.

Thanks for sharing!

It is always good when potassium and sodium are in check with a 3800 engine.
I've owned this car for a year now. Engine is very sound. The rest of the car has the normal issues you'd expect from an 18 year old vehicle. I need another 5 years out of this car and I don't doubt the 3800 engine will make it...we will see about the transmission and the rest of the car, 😆

These are all related SOPUS oils with similar addpacks...
True. The Euro L has almost no moly and low magnesium, but that was balanced by the higher levels of those additives in the QSFS. So those two cancelled each other out and since the PP and PPHM are very similar to each other, we end up with a frankenblend that looks very much like PP.

Which is why I felt safe using up the odds and ends from my garage.

I've owned this car for a year now. Engine is very sound. The rest of the car has the normal issues you'd expect from an 18 year old vehicle. I need another 5 years out of this car and I don't doubt the 3800 engine will make it...we will see about the transmission and the rest of the car, 😆
They are good engines as long as coolant stays put when the intake gaskets hold up. The transmission is another story. They are not very good for the long haul.

They are good engines as long as coolant stays put when the intake gaskets hold up. The transmission is another story. They are not very good for the long haul.
Previous owner did the gasket job and installed the metal coolant elbows, so the major design flaws with this engine have been dealt with.
However, I am still paranoid and monitor the coolant levels closely. As for the transmission, I know it was properly serviced by one of the
previous owners, the fluid looks OK, and it shifts well. But it's a GM transmission, so yeah, I'm prepared for it to need "attention"
at some point.

Back