Toilet Wax Rings ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, tell me whatever you can about them. I need to replace the wax ring in the toilet located in the master bedroom. I've never done one before. To tell you the truth, I'm scared to death of it. I don't know what I'm gonna find when I lift that toilet up off the floor. Every time the main sewer line clogs up, the water backs up and comes out around the base of the toilet. If the sewer line is clear, the toilet will flush without leaking. I know I got a bad sewer line, but I want to get that one toilet squared away before I replace the sewer line.

The wax ring is nothing to worry much about, but the past back ups could mean rot problems to fix-good luck

oh what a pickle. i can sort of tell you the worst case which happened to me. basically the metal ring around the pipe busted, so i could no longer seat the wax ring. it was time to call the professionals and he welded in a new one. if someone knows how he didnt ignite my house from the sewer fumes i am morbidly curious.

1. I like to use the extra thick with flange for wax ring.
2. Also like to replace the toilet bolt hardware with new while I am doing this.
3. Clean all the old wax, dirt, etc off. I generally use paper bag, putty knife and a bunch of rags.
4. Install new by affixing hardware to toilet and ring to the toilet and carefully insert onto the sewer flange. Push down hard and rotate quarter turn or so left to right to get a good seal.
5. Tighten down snug the toilet bolts.

Remember that even a new wax ring may not stop the leakage you see. Fixing the source of the problem may be the only solution.

I have replaced th m before.

First, don't panic. Even if you find something wrong, it can be fixed. I usually panic, but it's something I am working on.

Get some rags, old shopping bags, and a big black trash bag. Rags to clean flange and base, shopping bags to use as "gloves" to get the big globs of wax off. Black trash bag to sit toilet on. Definitely have a helper. BTW. Good time to paint behind there.

Good luck.

The wax ring should last nearly forever unless the toilet base is loose allowing movement. The two bolts on either side of the bottom flange should be snug. If they are loose that is probably why your leak started. The bolts can rust away over time. And check for floor rot as previously mentioned. You want the base to be secure to prevent further problems.

There are all sorts of fixes and repairs for your situation in a good hardware store. Porcelain is brittle and heavy, be careful, don't over tighten. I continue to use the wax rings, If one leaks, it is usually due to a bad install or a deeper problem.

That wax ring is only supposed to seal for gases, not water backing up in the line. You need to get that backup fixed first and soon.

If you use a wax ring make sure it is thick enough to compress. Do not use the bolts that hold the toilet to the pipe flange to compress the wax ring. Sit on the toilet to compress the ring then snug the nuts ,you can easily break the toiled .

it's not normal for a sewer line to back up. there is a partial blockage further down the line. it could be in the house, outside the house, down the street...

Biggest thing is use a 1/4 ratchet if you can and tighten the bolts up equally and carefully don't crank it down.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
That wax ring is only supposed to seal for gases, not water backing up in the line. You need to get that backup fixed first and soon.

+1 This. Rent a main line snake and clean it out. If that's not enough, fix the line. All other fixes are for naught until these are done.

I don't do toilets. But my plumber lightly tightens the bolts and then comes back 3-4 weeks later and re-tightens them. Then he seals the toilet to the floor with matching silicone caulk.

I like to use some rubber gloves when removing the old one and cleaning up the mess. A putty knife works good to scrape it up.

Flip the toilet over and stick the new one to the toilet, then put the toilet back down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back