Plumbing rates ?

How are plumbing services charged nowadays ? At work, we have two side-by-side units (spaces) and the water heater in one failed. We have a working water heater in the other unit so we're not in an emergency situation. We've had (3) estimates done for replacing a 19-gallon unit (it can be smaller but I doubt the cost changes much) and for the heater and labor the amounts have been: $1450, $1750, and $3100 😳. In 2 of the 3 cases, a plumber has come to do the estimate which made me think, do these folks work on commission now ? When the guy told me $3100, he certainly saw my eyes go wide-open. I told him "your price is double two quotes I've gotten" but I don't think he believed me. Watched him go back to his truck and not leave.... told my co-worker he's re-working the quote, which he did. Came back, said he "called the office", and would do it "today" for $2900. I told him no again and this time, I showed him the quotes so he saw that I wasn't making up amounts.

Do most larger shops just have flat amounts already worked out, i.e. water heater replacement costs "X", replace toilet wax ring costs "Y", and so on ? Do the tech/plumbers work on commission ?

The shop that I use is a family owned business. I know that they do have some standard prices for some stuff, such as water heater and pressure tank replacements. I think those kind of things are pretty cut and dry USUALLY that they can get away from it.

I did feel a little bad for the guy that had to hoss a full pressure tank out of my basement because I don't have a sump pump, but they didn't charge extra for that condition.

I also wouldn't mind help a little if they let me. Such as, I'm due for a water heater and no sump pump. That's going to be tedious to drain, probably 5 gallons at a time. I have no issue running buckets to help.

Contractors charge one of two ways time and material or flat rate. Most have gone to flat rate. Flat rate is a profit generator.
I think flat rate is also better for the common homeowner, even it it ends up costing a little more.

I need a thing, that thing is $500 all in. Much better than I need a thing and it's $200 plus installation. Too open ended for many.

I think all rates depend on how busy any small company is at any given time.
So the plumber with the $3000 quote is too busy to bother unless the customer wants to pay the $3000, its supply and demand for a service.
The $1,400 and 1,750 quote wants the job.
A far as the media piece "Should Plumbers charge by..." well, that is up to the plumber and customer could pick what they like. To me, that story is more generated media clickbait stuff.

How are plumbing services charged nowadays ?

dr-evil-one-billion-dollars.gif

A water heater is most likely a DIY thing. I've even replaced a main drain that was buried on the yard. Around $125 in 3-4 years ago prices or $1600 (or more) from a plumber. Over July 4th weekend. Used a beach umbrella to keep the sun off of me.

I believe professional water heater replacements were in the $1200 range in my area pre-covid. A standard 40gal unit with install. I'd imagine the price is double like everything else today.

I think all rates depend on how busy any small company is at any given time.
So the plumber with the $3000 quote is too busy to bother unless the customer wants to pay the $3000, its supply and demand for a service.
The $1,400 and 1,750 quote wants the job.
A far as the media piece "Should Plumbers charge by..." well, that is up to the plumber and customer could pick what they like. To me, that story is more generated media clickbait stuff.
$3k should be two commercial grade units and then some

We had ours replaced in Oct. 2022. $1,100 for all-in for a new Bradford White turbojet 50gal gas water heater. We didn't have to lift a finger.

With those quotes, it's time to learn the plumbing business and do it yourself. It's not difficult to change a HWT.

Had a AO Smith 40 gal water heater installed by LOWES 2 yrs ago for $1700 bones, old original AO Smith heater started leaking leaving water all over the garage, was 28 yrs old.

[QUOTE="I We had ours replaced in Oct. 2022. $1,100 for all-in for a new Bradford White turbojet 50gal gas water heater. We didn't have to lift a finger.
[/QUOTE]
That's a super price given that HWT alone has to be $700.

I had two toilets and two faucets replaced in Jan. Local service call and the first hour was $180
That was for the plumber and a helper. They charged me $180 plus parts. Expected worse and they were nice folks.
I tipped them $20 each for lunch on me.

Its in your best interest you get multiple quotes. There are less than intelligent people who do not and get taken advantage of.

Back