Plumbing rates ?

I had two toilets and two faucets replaced in Jan. Local service call and the first hour was $180
That was for the plumber and a helper. They charged me $180 plus parts. Expected worse and they were nice folks.
I tipped them $20 each for lunch on me.
they were able to do 2 toilet and 2 faucets in an hour? plumbling is a numbers game to me . you bid high for 10 jobs. 6 of them will bite and the other 4 find other options.

I think all rates depend on how busy any small company is at any given time.
So the plumber with the $3000 quote is too busy to bother
I don't think they were too busy. His big selling point was he'd get it done today (at that price). I pointed out to him that we're standing in our main unit/space that has a working water heater so we're in no hurry at all. He's the one that went out to his truck and "called the office" and then came back with a $200 discount.

A water heater is most likely a DIY thing
it's time to learn the plumbing business and do it yourself. It's not difficult to change a HWT.
This is at work and to be frank, "not my problem". 🤣 I'm just the one getting quotes....

I believe professional water heater replacements were in the $1200 range in my area pre-covid.
We had the water heater in the other unit replaced in 2019 for $650. This one was mounted/located in a drop ceiling so a real pain in the butt installation. I knew it would be higher today "just because" and that same company gave us the $1450 quote.

All those prices seem ridiculously high to me. The job can't be more than an hour or so, unless there's some massive problem you've not mentioned.
None of the three made up stories that it will be a difficult job.... 🤷‍♂️ I've replaced a water heater at home but I won't do it at someone else's place (other than my kids). I'd help a friend if they asked though.

1698698875820.jpg
1698698900774.jpg

The add'l piping in the background is the incoming water lines for the 8-10 units in the building we're in. We just happen to be in the middle where they all come in via this closet.

they were able to do 2 toilet and 2 faucets in an hour? plumbling is a numbers game to me . you bid high for 10 jobs. 6 of them will bite and the other 4 find other options.
Yes they did 2 toilets and 2 faucets in an hour. 2 of them working. They charge $180 for a service call, whether it takes 5 minutes or an hour.

They throw out a number like that to see if you will bite. Many people do. If you don't, they can "call the office".
Years ago I met a retired plumber, Mr. Nicholas Lopez, who helps me. A really nice man. I always give him more than he asks.

They throw out a number like that to see if you will bite. Many people do.
I think all service providers like this keep tabs on their competition to know what others are charging so they're all at least in the same ballpark. They were DOUBLE the rate of two others. When he told me $3100, I told him "I've got quotes for HALF that amount" and that's when he called the office and dropped it .... $200. Still 2x the quote of one of the other companies.

We've had (3) estimates done for replacing a 19-gallon unit (it can be smaller but I doubt the cost changes much) and for the heater and labor the amounts have been: $1450, $1750, and $3100 😳.
20 gal tank water heater $350,

or a tankless for $250,

2 hours max labor to install. Anything over $600 is a ripoff. They see you're a business and not paying for it yourself so they figure you don't care about the price.

I think all service providers like this keep tabs on their competition to know what others are charging so they're all at least in the same ballpark. They were DOUBLE the rate of two others. When he told me $3100, I told him "I've got quotes for HALF that amount" and that's when he called the office and dropped it .... $200. Still 2x the quote of one of the other companies.
They must have people who will for over whatever price. It's a bummer when a local areas have people who apparently are ok with parting with their money.

I'm lucky . My son is a builder and when I need plumbing work done , he sends one of his subs over . They went to school together and we've known him for years . He fixed a broken water line in my yard after hours for $150.

The $3,100 guy was probably a franchised plumbing company. They are very expensive.
Yeah.

I got a quote for $4000 to replace my 75 gal HWH. I can get the HWH delivered to my house for $1500. $2500 for installation is outrageous. It does include $350 for the permit, but still....

Having anyone come out is very expensive.

~5 years ago we had our rental propane tank that was in a bad location taken away and bought our own. Long story short, we needed a new gas line ran from the furnace to the west side of the house. Maybe 20’ of pipe. I was quoted $1600 by a place we had used for an emergency call in the past. I couldn’t believe it and told the lady it seemed high after she bluntly asked when we’d like to be put on the books. I didn’t shop around, but she said that was the going rate. I said okay and that was it. Ran the line myself in yellow coated stainless flex for $100. Not pretty, but done right and bonded to the house’s ground, which it wasn’t before.

$1600 was high in 2019. I hate to guess what it is now.

I believe professional water heater replacements were in the $1200 range in my area pre-covid. A standard 40gal unit with install. I'd imagine the price is double like everything else today.
In 2016, embarrassingly we paid $1100 for a 12 year 40 gal. This included like $80 for a ball valve shut off to be added. The lesser options ranged down to $800. Also they took care of a permit and a town inspector showed up months later.

My relatives and old friend have DIY this job. I will say the soldering is much much neater done by the plumber than friends/relatives. This stuff is no win….our hvac job July 2020, online the condenser alone is like 35% more on the mfg website (I have to say wth it shows up to $16,800??? Looks like they finally changed the pic, when we got ours the web showed the old gen making me think I was taken {Trane})

Reactions: JTK
Many trades people who work for companies are labeled 1099 independent contractors for that company.
They can work off a base compiled price which is a min the company will accept and for them to get paid for the job.
They then can build whatever they want into the price and either keep the difference or share the “enhanced markup” with the company depending on the arrangement.

They have the freedom to extract as much money as they can from the job

Last edited:
I replaced the old one myself and wasn't really that hard. The worst was that it had hard lines running to the top of the heater and the new one was a different height so I cut the pipes shorter and got adapters that converted it to a hose which screwed into the water heater. I didn't do so well on the first one but the other one looks a lot better. I also added a junction box for the wiring since it was wired directly from the breaker box to the water heater and wasn't long enough for the replacement.

Reactions: JTK
Back