Today's Audi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most people on here know I'm not the biggest VW fan, but comparing them to ones of 30 years ago? That's just ridiculous.

That's like asking if today's Apple computers are any good because you had some experience with their 80's model.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Quote:
Audi, BMW and MB are set for European maintenance schedule which is a LOT more frequent than ours

Can you give examples as to what components are supposed to be replaced as scheduled maintenance at say 75K miles?

Window motors, door latches, trunk release etc?

Or are we talking about plastic components such as water pump, intake manifold, thermostat housing, coolant tank?

Or are we talking about all the rubber components on the engine?

Pretty sure the European maintenance schedule is not what is used in the US just like the European model of Audi or any of the others are not what we get. Different standards. You can google and look up and cars maintenance schedule or manual to see.

Overengineer? Why would you say that?

Toyota DOHC V8

Audi DOHC V8 (with the chains on the BACK of the engine)
No chance of anything going wrong there...

Guess which one gives 300K++ of service with 90K timing belt changes and which one might require engine removal and tensioner replacement.

Just a bit of funnin' here, (cherry picked example e.g) but hey, when stuff isn't as reliable as intended, over engineered stuff will clean your wallet.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Camprunner
Yesterday I went to a local VW dealer to look at a GTI and this dealer is also an Audi dealer. After looking at a VW the Salesman showed me an Audi A3 nice car with several models with different price points. Now what worries me!

Back in the 80's I had a friend who had a small shop and worked on all Europen makes and I recall there were always plenty of Audi's in the shop with plenty of them with serious issues. I recall asking the shop owner what is his opinion of Audi? He replied "Over engineered junk!"

So have things changed? How are today's Audi? Are they as reliable as most other brands?

Fair to look at VW/Audi like Toyota/Lexus? I won't compare GTi with A3, Gti is FWD and A3 is AWD. I asked a few questions here about Audi last week and i got a lot of good feedbacks. At least a few folks here confirmed what i know about BMW (cooling systems problems & various electrical issues and lower controls arms need frequent maintenance etc). I guess if you incorporate any AWD vehicles into the "reliability" category, it is automatically less reliable?

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

Guess which one gives 300K++ of service with 90K timing belt changes and which one might require engine removal and tensioner replacement.

Just a bit of funnin' here, (cherry picked example e.g) but hey, when stuff isn't as reliable as intended, over engineered stuff will clean your wallet.

I remember people complained about timing belt in the early 2000s, but it seems like they look better these days.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

Audi DOHC V8 (with the chains on the BACK of the engine)
No chance of anything going wrong there...

Just a bit of funnin' here . . .

I enjoyed the laugh!

(Retired IKE sailor here.)

Originally Posted By: shokhead
Originally Posted By: Vikas
Quote:
Audi, BMW and MB are set for European maintenance schedule which is a LOT more frequent than ours

Can you give examples as to what components are supposed to be replaced as scheduled maintenance at say 75K miles?

Window motors, door latches, trunk release etc?

Or are we talking about plastic components such as water pump, intake manifold, thermostat housing, coolant tank?

Or are we talking about all the rubber components on the engine?

Pretty sure the European maintenance schedule is not what is used in the US just like the European model of Audi or any of the others are not what we get. Different standards. You can google and look up and cars maintenance schedule or manual to see.

Woosh :)

Originally Posted By: Pelican
Therein lies the problem, Audi, BMW and MB are set for european maintenance schedule which is a LOT more frequent than ours.

Can you provide some info to back this up?

I've looked up Audi's service in the UK. Depending on how you use your car, you could be either on a fixed 10K mile / 1 year OCI or on a flexible schedule which can be up to 19K miles / 2-years OCI.

By comparison, in the US it's just a fixed 10K mile / 1 year OCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back