Tires on new Camaros cracking due to very cold weather

So now we're comparing tires to ice cream to justify their flimsy construction. This is getting better.
Here is proposition for you:
Why don’t you patent whatever idea you have, bcs. “Obviously “ you know what Good Year SHOULD do. You will make a lot of money, and make life of people who use cars like this much easier.

Here is proposition for you:
Why don’t you patent whatever idea you have, bcs. “Obviously “ you know what Good Year SHOULD do. You will make a lot of money, and make life of people who use cars like this much easier.
You should stick to telling tall tales of watching careful drivers sliding into ditches. You're a lot better at it, than you are at trying to put this train wreck back on the tracks.

You should stick to telling tall tales of watching careful drivers sliding into ditches. You're a lot better at it, than you are at trying to put this train wreck back on the tracks.
I don't know why people are still trying to convince you. You're happy in your ignorance and stubbornness, and I'm happy to leave you there.

Make sure to tell the dealer that you would like different tires when you order your ZL1.

You should be asking them that. I can't figure it out. It's funny as hell to listen to, I'll give you that. I better put my ice cream away before it melts!
You forgot to quote this:
I don't know why people are still trying to convince you. You're happy in your ignorance and stubbornness, and I'm happy to leave you there.

Actually very good question. Everyone has that “uncle.”

This is a logistics and training failure. UHP tires are unsuitable for cold weather...RTFM.

This is exactly it only it goes further up than training. If cars are going to be equipped with these sensitive tires they need to be flagged internally when ordered that they require special handling related to environmental conditions ,or ,fitted with shipping tires as noted previously. The truck driver is in a bad spot, he needs to get the cars off the trailer. The dealer has no control over when the cars arrive and likely don't have a bay where a car hauler can sit inside until the tires warm up, like the truck driver can wait a day if they did so they unload the cars and the tires get replaced. Didn't hurt the car any. If GM has to replace enough of these expensive tires someone up the food chain will notice and make changes.

Hopefully when someone orders these on a car they're given clear warning about using them at low temps and they will not be replaced.

Bill's point that tires that can't even be backed off the car hauler without major damage doesn't make sense is valid to most of us but give him a break, there haven't been any clouds in the skys over Arizona to yell at for quite a while and he's a bit grumpy. :ROFLMAO:

I drove my Pilot Super Sport tires on my M5 when it was 0C, the weather suddenly changed and I hadn't parked the car yet. That was...scary. Surprisingly, they didn't crack though.
I did the same with my old bfg sport comp 2s and I was pretty surprised how well they did in 0C with in wet(they are a -7C cracking tire). I'd guess they still had better braking than most snow tires I've run in the 2000's who didn't do well in wet grip. The engineering explained guy also did some cold weather tests on clean dry pavement of summer performance tires and still found the large tread block won out over the squirm and air gaps of winter tires by quite a big margin.

My sisters ex-boyfriend did get his Viper home somehow in an inch of snow with pilot super sports but I doubt he's ever tried that again!
Now for sure I'd always recommend a good winter or all season tire for dealing with all fall conditions though. But if you are caught with summers with just near freezing temps and a bit of moisture, for 2 lane roads anyways, I'd just tip toe it home, and swap to winters that night.

Last edited:
I did the same with my old bfg sport comp 2s and I was pretty surprised how well they did in 0C with in wet(they are a -7C cracking tire). I'd guess they still had better braking than most snow tires I've run in the 2000's who didn't do well in wet grip. The engineering explained guy also did some cold weather tests on clean dry pavement of summer performance tires and still found the large tread block won out over the squirm and air gaps of winter tires by quite a big margin.

My sisters ex-boyfriend did get his Viper home somehow in an inch of snow with pilot super sports but I doubt he's ever tried that again!
Now for sure I'd always recommend a good winter or all season tire for dealing with all fall conditions though. But if you are caught with summers with just near freezing temps and a bit of moisture, for 2 lane roads anyways, I'd just tip toe it home, and swap to winters that night.

I think these Good Year’s are step up from Michelin PSS. They are in class of Michelin Pilot Cup2 and Bridgestone Potenza RE71. PSS and tires in that class are more forgiving in cold weather.
These are I think UTQG 200 tires. PSS is up a bit.

In all fairness if somebody has a ZL1 LE, they probably have another car, most likely a DD. If they don't then...well....they get to reap the "rewards"

Maybe it's that specific tire model that's more susceptible to cracking from very low temperatures but not all max summer tires will crack and certainly not like the picture. AFAIK DOT-approved tires are only tested for speed and load @CapriRacer (?). Most cars that I've been in that come from the factory with an option of these extremely high performance summer-only tires do have some sort of warning sticker on the car that warns the owner about operating such tires in freezing weather.

This was the sticker on the evo:
1644863381895.jpg

Rubber designed for high temps doesn't do well in low temps. More at 11.

I think some manufacturers just cheap out on whatever UV inhibiting formula exists. I've used several Motomaster (Canadian Tire store brand) tires and they always seem to start cracking after a few years regardless of if it's an all season or winter tire. I believe they're manufactured by Continental, so not like they don't know how to make a good tire. But maybe something in the cheapening process to make a store branded tire they left something out.

AFAIK DOT-approved tires are only tested for speed and load @CapriRacer (?).
There are several tests that have to be performed:

Step Load
Bead Pushoff
Plunger Energy
UTQG Treadwear rating
UTQG Traction rating
UTQG Temperature rating (This is very similar to Step Speed)

And that is in addition to all the markings, treadwear indicators, etc.

Back