Winter Tires or All Weather Tires

only studded tires for me in winter time. Hate the ice, and even more if it's a soft layer of snow top on the ice. And in northern Finland they don't even use salt on the roads.

In this part of the world, studs are illegal except for an extremely limited exception in state law or for non-mn plated cars transiting through.

And ironically, I've tried studless winter tires and winter tires that can be studded without the studs, and my favorites to date are the winter tires that can be be studded... Go figure... Perhaps the combo of weather and types of snow we tend to get more often. Of course this year so far seems like a waste...

And I suppose in answer to the OP's question, I have a Ford Fusion Energi, and it came with the Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady tires on it. (General Altimax Arctic 12's if anyone cares) The weatherready's carry the 3pmsf rating on them.

I still put a set of dedicated winter tires on. The rubber is noticeably harder on the weatherready tires as one would expect. In the limited low traction snow and ice conditions we've had since I got the car, the winter tires were hands down more predictable.

In a marginal climate or if I had no storage options or limited budget, I suppose they are better than nothing, but they still are not a full replacement for winter tires.

If I lived in an area where ice and very low temperatures are a winter norm, I'd run dedicated winter tires. I've had Blizzaks on cars in the past and found them pretty amazing.
Here, we don't get enough really bad winter weather to make them all that necessary, and we can always stay home for the day after, as I did one day last winter just before Christmas, when we saw heavy fresh snow over a nice base of what turned into ice, having fallen as accumulating sleet at warmer temps the day before. -10F the following morning and nasty road conditions, so staying home was probably the correct choice.
If I lived in a place like North Dakota where severe winter weather and remote living are common, I'd probably plan on two sets of mounted tires with one being a dedicated winter.
These tires can be picked up cheap on clearance each spring and any yard can supply rims.

In this part of the world, studs are illegal except for an extremely limited exception in state law or for non-mn plated cars transiting through.

Same thing for my province but it's legal next door in all of Quebec.

In 2005, research showed some studs do 75% less damage compared to when they were banned.

MTO recognizes the importance of studded tires in adverse winter conditions in Northern Ontario, especially since research shows that studded tires are more effective than other tires under icy conditions, particularly on wet ice.
Background:
Studded tires were originally banned in Ontario in 1972 after a technical review established that the studs caused extensive damage to roads. Several other North-American jurisdictions also banned them at that time.
However in 2005, Ontario introduced studded tires legislation and synchronized the period (October 1 to April 30) with Quebec and Manitoba where studded tires were permitted. MTO also prescribed the use of Scandinavian standard lightweight studs, which are lighter than those used in tires that were banned in the 1970s, resulting in approximately 75% less damage to the pavement. The legislation limited the use of studded tires on vehicles over 3 ½ tonnes to municipal emergency and winter maintenance vehicles.
Source: https://www.ontariocanada.com/registry/view.do?postingId=15402&language=en

Reviews for tires like the hakkapeliitta 10s make me jealous as you're often faced with bad weather when driving on the best ski days

Screenshot 2023-12-16 at 6.47.44 AM.png

Cooper Evolution Winter . They'd be good with or w/o studs . Have them on the FIT w/ studs . Plenty of deep sipes and good tread design ( pattern ) to expel rain , snow , etc.. They're T rated and have a reasonable price . Get good ratings at TIRERACK and other sites .

IMG_2123.JPG
IMG_2124.JPG
IMG_2125.JPG
IMG_2126.JPG
IMG_2127.JPG
IMG_2387.JPG
IMG_2386.JPG

Last edited:
found the Utube link about winter tyres I was referring to:

I think in europe studed tyres are not legal for road use. Back in 1994 I was in lillehamer winter olympics. Lot's of snow and cold (-25C @ night). My hired hertz car was fitted with studless winter tyres.
During another late winter motoring trip to norway We put wedestein winters on the car befor leaving UK. Again drove through a mixture of dry, snow covered and light icy roads. Had to use a pair of chains a couple times on narrow tracks

studded tyres are often illegal to use on roads not covered with snow and ice here in europe, but it really depends on the location
Studded winter tyres are popular in the Nordic countries but completely banned in Germany and Poland, for example.

After running Blizzaks on a couple of 4WD trucks and hardly ever needing it, I went back to 2WD vehicles with them and do just fine.
All vehicles use all 4 wheels for braking and turning, which is more important most of the time. I can blow away the big bro-trucks with the huge tires on it pulling away in the snow with my Camry, which adds to the fun.

After running Blizzaks on a couple of 4WD trucks and hardly ever needing it, I went back to 2WD vehicles with them and do just fine.
All vehicles use all 4 wheels for braking and turning, which is more important most of the time. I can blow away the big bro-trucks with the huge tires on it pulling away in the snow with my Camry, which adds to the fun.
At work we had three Chevy Cruze, each with winter tires.

Driving N on I93 one morning in a bad snow storm, the traffic was so backed up detoured just E to Route 28, Which mostly parallels 93. Temp in high 20’s so the snow was coming down and packing hard: plows couldn’t get out at rush hour.

Pulled up to a traffic light and a brodozer changed lanes to get next to me: guess he thought I’d hold him up. Being a child at heart, when the light changed gave the Cruze Turbodiesel (a mighty 137hp) all the throttle it could handle. Brodozer sat there spinning all four “Monster Mudders“ as we blew past.

On a back road near Sunapee, had a similar truck riding the bumper of our Honda Odyssey, which had Nokians. We pulled over and let him past. At the next corner, he lost it and drove the truck 3/4’s of the way into a snow bank.

Just changed over so here’s the difference between a Nokian One A/S tire (L) and the General Altimax Arctic 12 (AKA Gislavid NordFrost 100) winter tire (R). Current tread depth on both is just over 10/32nd.

Along with softer tread compound the winter tire has a lot more tread cuts, more blocks, and siping. This particular tire is dealer studdable.

The “Chevron” center section seems to be a common design feature on many winter tires.

IMG_0757.jpeg

I put winter tires on the truck from late November till late March or early April. This year seems like a waste due to higher temps and only snowing twice so far. Previous seasons they grip better then my Michelin LTX Defender especially when heading to the UP for snowmobiling trips.

Attachments

• 74FE9FDA-A178-40D0-AB8B-E4F462473233.jpeg
    74FE9FDA-A178-40D0-AB8B-E4F462473233.jpeg
    182.9 KB · Views: 16
AWD is a gamechanger for me, though. Being able to accelerate like it's dry out even when it's wet or there is a bit of gravel/sand on the road or whatever is useful. Also making it up hills in icy/snow with AWD that you won't go NEAR with RWD or FWD.

AWD is a gamechanger for me, though. Being able to accelerate like it's dry out even when it's wet or there is a bit of gravel/sand on the road or whatever is useful. Also making it up hills in icy/snow with AWD that you won't go NEAR with RWD or FWD.
This is in your kia ev? If so, that heavy battery probably helps some in snow traction

A correction to my ealier post.
Currently studded tyres are not illegal in all european countries. Even in the uk, it is not "recommended" but not illegal.

So I was given incorrect information when driving in norway back ni the 90's!

3PMSF rating is an EU standard not US so M&S, winter tyres are not automatically 3PMSF rated

3PMSF rating is an EU standard not US so M&S, winter tyres are not automatically 3PMSF rated

Just to be clear, the Alpine symbol (3PMSF) was developed in the US in about 1999 for use by the Canadian government to be able to delineate winter tires. EU regulations were first used in 2021.

I go into more detail here: Barry's Tire Tech: Winter and All Weather Tires

Back