Tires for the Avalon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firestone Destination LE2, a big improvement on the original LE which were bad.
Try tirebuyer.com and see the positive reviews on tirerack.com

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Either the Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum, or the Dunlop SP Sport Signature

Does your Avalon require a V-rating? I know many 90s Toyotas with that size had that requirement.

Sweet - Dunlop SP Sport Signature is on my list. I can use an H tire. It's on the upper end of my price range, but good tires just are not cheap.

Ran the same size on my 05 Camry...and liked the budget vanity brand/model (they're all the same) Doral SDL 65A/Sumic GT 65A/Aspen AS...that are all "out-of-factory" OEMs on new Camrys.....I was very please with them...
see...
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2855960/Re:_Same_Tire_Different_Brand

Last edited:
pablo although those engines are sludgers that car will run another 300,000 miles... that engine has a timing belt watch it closely but it is not an interference engine.

My father in law has three Avalons, he loves these cars and run Toyo Versado's on all of them!

hankook 727, altimax rt43, cooper CS4,michelin defender, michelin primacy mxm4 or mxv4. Just the start of a list. I'd go with price/performance.

Dunlop signature II

Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum

A cheap alternative, kumho Sense- Just got my step-sister a set of these for her malibu... much better than the baldies she drove back to ohio on from texas(just in time for winter)
but havent driven it much personally.
They looked decent in person, and H rated.
ku_sense_kr26_ci2_l.jpg

56$ each+ship
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?...mp;autoModClar=

Last edited:
check out cooper cs4 a really good tire IMHO, there are plenty good passenger car tires out there but this is one of the better ones in most aspects ( to me anyway).

Since you hate Michelin, the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus is probably the next best choice.

Costco should have them.

Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN
I just put Michelin Defenders on my Crown Vic! 90K mile tire! The best choice period! You will go through two sets of anything else before these are worn out!

I was strolling through the local Walmart this evening and saw Michelin Defenders for $85/tire. I thought that was a pretty good price for Michelin. Good in the snow?

Fair enough Pablo

Just put Dunlop Sport Blue Response on the Clio.

Very quiet tyre with excellent wet grip.

Bought them as they outperformed Michelin Energy Saver + in tests and the Costco offer was only £50 off a set of four so they were cheaper.

Very good so far.

Gor good mileage out Hankooks and Avons in the past also.

Never had a bad Michelin tyre though.

You had bad luck with yours though

Originally Posted By: ronbo
Firestone Destination LE2, a big improvement on the original LE which were bad.
Try tirebuyer.com and see the positive reviews on tirerack.com
those are truck tires I don't think you would want them on a Avalon, just saying.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Grip, cost, treadwear. 1-2-3 All season.

Well, they all grip quite well today. I have even had very good success with the "Low Grip" H727's as have others in our circle. If you don't encounter snow, which the H727's do very well, then for grip, I would look at other tires.

Those I have introduced to the H727's just love'em and have purchaced several sets after the H727's have worn out or for mulitple vehicles.

I think that the H727's(a good choice) may meet your criteria but, so many new & lesser expensive tires are coming to market quickly, and getting great reviews.

Avalon's are quite easy on their tires as they are build on a lengthened Camry Chassis and their aligment spec is as such that, the tires seem to wear slowly. At least this is our experience with most Toyota's

Also, due to the Avalon's quiet interior, a noisier tire compared to a quieter tire usually isn't a factor!
smile.gif

Last edited:
I highly recommend the Goodyear Viva 2 at Walmart for your application. We had those on a 1999 Avalon and really liked them.

Cooper CS4.

Heavy boatish 2000 Avalon V6, Rides like boat, corners like a overripe banana. Goes like a bat out of Hades on the straight away relatively speaking. It cost me nothing to acquire.

Perfect for my 16 YO daughter.

Needs new tires. Throwing to you guys. Has some worn out 205-65R15's, what are my options here?

I had a 2000 Avalon that had over 200k on it when I sold her (sniffle sniffle). Found that Yokohamas were a good balance of price/longevity/performance. Used Blizzak snows in the winter and was unstoppable. Worst tires on there were some budget Fuzion that handled horrible and were a bit noisy.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Since you hate Michelin, the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus is probably the next best choice.

Costco should have them.

That is exactly what the wife had thrown on by Costco yesterday midday (no wait on a Saturday!) for just above $400 total OTD. I will say this: we took the Avalon to the soccer game last night and wow way better than the junk nearly bald tires on the thing before. It was raining both ways and the car did fine. I was even worried they would have mould release slime, but no, they were great.

Hope they don't do the sidewall cracking thing!

Originally Posted By: The Critic

Costco should have them.

That is exactly what the wife had thrown on by Costco yesterday midday (no wait on a Saturday!) for just above $400 total OTD. I will say this: we took the Avalon to the soccer game last night and wow way better than the junk nearly bald tires on the thing before. It was raining both ways and the car did fine. I was even worried they would have mould release slime, but no, they were great.

Hope they don't do the sidewall cracking thing!

My wife and I have been very please with the Turanza Serenity Plus. We currently have about 7000 miles on these tires. They are a great grand touring tire. Very quiet, smooth riding, great wet/dry traction. Won't have to worry about snow here in FL. Enjoy in good health!

Glad your tire quandry was solved. Good choice IMHO.
Do frequent PCV valves changes as well as oil on that MZ-F1, and you'll be glad you did. The OEM part is cheap and easy to install, but they didn't solve the "oil gel" problem until '03.(different PCV design).
Good luck and enjoy the car. I sure did - 11 years and 200k safe, pleasant miles.

Late to the thread, as usual.

May want to change that spare, too... it's full size.

That car is stout in all respects; will probably last your daughter until she or you are tired of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back