rough riding tires?

You'll get 0.16" or so (about 5/32, half typical tread depth) extra sidewall. For more comfort, you'd be better off to look at tires optimized for comfort. Tirerack only shows 3 tires in 215/70-17 as well. 225/65-17 is very popular. For snow traction, look at (yeah, I'm a broken record, sorry) tires optimized for that. Tirerack will have comparisons where you can see many advantages and disadvantages of different product.
You did the math - I was scratching my head at the same thing and agree. The change from 225/65-17 to 215/70-17 basically keeps the same sidewall height for a skinnier tread patch. It might still be a ride improvement because of the longer, skinnier tread patch, but not from sidewall height. A possible detractor is the sidewall might also become more straight with less curve (“pooch?”) to flex, if that makes a difference. I’d think something like 225/70r16 might have better results… double check my guesswork with a specs chart or maths to make sure that’s right. In my opinion, 70 series starts riding like a softer vehicle with a more traditional, “average” steering response…

You'll get 0.16" or so (about 5/32, half typical tread depth) extra sidewall. For more comfort, you'd be better off to look at tires optimized for comfort. Tirerack only shows 3 tires in 215/70-17 as well. 225/65-17 is very popular. For snow traction, look at (yeah, I'm a broken record, sorry) tires optimized for that. Tirerack will have comparisons where you can see many advantages and disadvantages of different product.
Yes, I play around with Tire Rack comparisons every now and then. I'm just south of Houston so I don't have to worry about snow performance.

You did the math - I was scratching my head at the same thing and agree. The change from 225/65-17 to 215/70-17 basically keeps the same sidewall height for a skinnier tread patch. It might still be a ride improvement because of the longer, skinnier tread patch, but not from sidewall height. A possible detractor is the sidewall might also become more straight with less curve (“pooch?”) to flex, if that makes a difference. I’d think something like 225/70r16 might have better results… double check my guesswork with a specs chart or maths to make sure that’s right. In my opinion, 70 series starts riding like a softer vehicle with a more traditional, “average” steering response…
225/70-16 would definitely be a good choice but I'm told 17's are the smallest that will clear the brakes so 16's aren't an option. I'll research it more when I eventually get to the point of replacement.

This^^^^^^^^. The more sidewall between the rim and the road, the softer the ride. ex. I prefer the 65 aspect ratio for my '17 Camry.....Better ride than the 55 or lower aspect ratios.

Ya want some sidewall do ya ?

151B1D25-7D23-4D37-BAF2-0922DC06AFC0.jpg
9BA151A5-1A1F-4DEF-B040-6FB79C128293.jpeg

Reactions: FZ1
Back