Tire Rotation/Balance

Status
Not open for further replies.
When do you guys/gals rotate and balance your tires, at how many miles?
I have Goodyear Wranglers on my Dodge 1500 and the first set I got 65,000 miles out of. The second set had 2 damaged when I hit a block of concrete in the highway running 65 mph, I replace the 2 out of my pocket since insurance was replacing 2 (and 2 rims)at about 35,000. I now have about 47,600 on the current set and it looks as if I'll get another 10,000 miles or so out of them, I have moved and it is a little harder to get by where I bought them and as a result I haven't rotated them as good as I should have.
I know some folks do it every other oil change, I run Amsoil on extended OCI's of 20,000. Would every 5000 miles do or is 10,000 miles to far?

Balance only when it feels like a weight fell off. Keep in mind that tire shake can have other causes than balance...out of round, road force (stiff sidewall in one area and soft in another), and other causes.

Rotate about 10k, but oftener might result in slightly better tire life.

I've never had a decent set of Goodyears. I think they are the worst value for the money. My last set of TripleTreds took seven to find four round ones, and with some wear they rode like bricks. My Marathon trailer tires were not round. A friend's GY separated and wiped out a fender and brake line. Martin Truex Jr. in last week's Nascar Sprint Cup race complained that his final set of Goodyear race tires was inconsistent with the other sets, didn't handle right, and cost him the win.

Goodyear offers at least ten different Wrangler models. Some get execrable reviews from the public on tirerack.

Sounds like your mostly highway, around town tires dont last that long. Rotate just before winter every year regardless of miles.

Rotate? Whenever more then two tires come off the car for something.

Balance? When they were installed.

Even after I fixed a flat, didn't rebalance, didn't worry...hasn't exploded yet.

I do them at my seasonal changeover. On average, about 12,000 km / 7,500 miles +/- are put on each season for me, so close enough to the normally recommended rotation intervals. I just mark where the tires were when taken off, and when they go back on again the following winter/summer, they go on rotated into the new positions. Worked well for my first summer (OE) set and first winter set.

Just had my Energy Saver A/S rebalanced after the first 5,000 miles of use. All 4 tires were off by more than an ounce. Ride is significantly improved after the balance.

I have noticed this to be common with most tires due to the bead slipping from lubrication.

I rotate at every oil change which is 5k for me. Only balance if I feel a vibration. In my experience the Wrangler AT/S has been the best all around truck tire. I have the silent armors now they are great on-road so far but I have not been off road or in snow with them yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back