Tire pressure gauges- don't let the package provide confidence in the measurements

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Checking tire pressure this morning before work. Using the fancy looking accugauge. Thought the readings may beoff, so used two other gauges.

None of the three provided exactly the same readings, but the built in gauge and the cheap spine gauge provided results +/- 1lbs of each other. The accugauge was off by over eight lbs.

Guessing one may need to buy a aviation air gauge for confidence in tire air pressure.

PXL_20230711_142541021.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20230711_142541021.jpg
    PXL_20230711_142541021.jpg
    296.9 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
I have one of those round dial-type gauges - like it a lot because it's so easy to read. Mine seems accurate too, well, at least if I check with 1-2 others and it's close. The most convenient is the built-in type but the readings/markings are way too sloppy. You basically get "around 30" or "about 35" if you're aiming for 30-36 psi.

I bought a cheapie dial style gauge similar to yours, but with an extension hose, as it makes it much easier to check the pressures on my motorcycles from Amazon and it seems to be close enough to my pencil style and the gauge on my inflator. That’s good enough for me.

IMG_2463.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a dial gauge from Slime with the Dually hose/end. I find it’s been as accurate as my commercial dual head inflator. Very satisfied with the slime gauge.

Attachments

• 8E66870A-C5DD-4A30-97D0-D8E0A40E8480.jpeg
    8E66870A-C5DD-4A30-97D0-D8E0A40E8480.jpeg
    72.2 KB · Views: 11
  • Helpful
Reactions: GON
I bought two dial type gauges made by Vondior. They came with a certificate of calibration. I tested them and both read consistently the same. Then I compared them to an old dial type gauge that was probably 20 years old. That gauge was off by 3 lbs compared to the Vondior gauges. I used to run my tires +1 lb. over the recommended pressure so I was really under inflated by 2 lbs per tire for many years.

Then I compared the new Vondior gauges with the digital readout of each tire on the dashboard display of my Jaguar. The Jaguar reads 1 lb. less than the dial gauges. Close enough for me. I stopped using a pencil type gauge decades ago but when I checked an old one that I had lying around it too was about 3 lbs low compared to the new calibrated gauges.

Unless you have a calibrated and certified gauge to compare with you are just guessing. I have always just taken my readings with a grain of salt and hoped for the best.

The Milton I purchased on Amazon 5 years ago, has matched the TPMS within 1 psi on all 3 of my vehicles in that period. It was like $7

Last edited:
Milton and U.S.A. made…
Milton's are Made in USA with outsourced components.
I've ben buying and using Milton gauges for 40 years. Used to be ale to send them back to be refurbished.
Todays Milton's cant handle the abuse they once did. Yes, they can be recalibrated but the question is what is your benchmark gauge?
I use an old trailer tire and set it to 40PSI and then test pressure using a high quality 14 " tire/truck gauge. If they're with a pound or so I'm Ok.

Checking tire pressure this morning before work. Using the fancy looking accugauge. Thought the readings may beoff, so used two other gauges.

None of the three provided exactly the same readings, but the built in gauge and the cheap spine gauge provided results +/- 1lbs of each other. The accugauge was off by over eight lbs.

Guessing one may need to buy a aviation air gauge for confidence in tire air pressure.

View attachment 166300
Nothing fancy about the Accugauge. It's cheap for a reason.

Gotta be >40 years ago when my dear mom bought 2 rubber clad dial gauges with cloth hoses from Brookstone.
While I'm completely aware of calibration, I have never done it.

Ha, the closest I've ever been to calibration was buying a pros old oscilloscope which had been calibrated annually and bore a row of stickers.

Since my tires have always worn straight and true, I arrogantly conclude my tire gauges and my mechanic's alignment tools are in spec.

I find a couple of pounds either way doesn't ruin the tire nor my day......
No but 8lbs is absurd. Especially if it's something like my JL where I run ~25

I've had similar experiences to @GON where Milton gauges have sometimes left me unimpressed while cheap bulk AutoZone specials are seemingly accurate and repeatable.

I don't know what the answer is but I'm gun-shy on name brand or more expensive gauges now. If it's a crapshoot either way I'll take my chances with inexpensive and at least have less money at stake

• Helpful
Back