Time for brakes again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time for pads and rotors. 2010 Ford Fusion. Daily driver, don't track but I am aggressive with braking and acceleration often.
Currently running akebono street performance pads, and I like them a lot. Rotors are generic autozone brand I think.

I've heard good things about EBC Black stuff for my type of driving, I'm looking for a not quite track performance pad with good cold bite.

The EBC Blackstuff is awesome. I have them on my car.

They are good pads, but they may dust a bit more than Akebono. However, my wheels were already dirty and couldn't be cleaned even before I bought the car. So, I cannot accurately judge how dusty the EBC pads get.

If you like the current pads, why not stick with them?

For my driving technique, I prefer certain Carbotech pads. For me, Carbotech pads from their base 1521 pad, all the way up to XP10 (on my high HP stuff) work very well on the street. The more robust pads have a touch of noise, plenty of dust, but the best feel of any pads I've ever tried. Remember, most of my stuff is er, well, I'm not going to admit anything..... Let's just say that many of my high HP vehicles did not have monster brake kits and still offered fantastic braking performance everywhere.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Cujet
If you like the current pads, why not stick with them?

For my driving technique, I prefer certain Carbotech pads. For me, Carbotech pads from their base 1521 pad, all the way up to XP10 (on my high HP stuff) work very well on the street. The more robust pads have a touch of noise, plenty of dust, but the best feel of any pads I've ever tried. Remember, most of my stuff is er, well, I'm not going to admit anything..... Let's just say that many of my high HP vehicles did not have monster brake kits and still offered fantastic braking performance everywhere.

I want more bite when I slam on the brakes. I was involved in an incident in May where I pushed current pads too hard and got fade. These are really great for urban and suburban environments but fail after a couple of 80-0. (I'm not admitting anything either)

Originally Posted by SilverFusion2010
I don't give a hoot about dust, I'm all about good braking.
I'm actually giving the red stuff and yellow stuff pads a hard look

If you need cold performance, do not get the yellowstuff, and the redstuff might not be too great, either. The Ultimax/Blackstuff is the best EBC pad for daily driving.

EBC's plain rotors are also very good.

I want more bite when I slam on the brakes. I was involved in an incident in May where I pushed current pads too hard and got fade. These are really great for urban and suburban environments but fail after a couple of 80-0. (I'm not admitting anything either)

You can't have both. You can either have pads with good grip when hot, OR cold, or not great at either, a compromise.

I'd recommend that you stop driving recklessly. You already admitted that caused an accident and that's not fair to other drivers on the road.

Time for pads and rotors. 2010 Ford Fusion. Daily driver, don't track but I am aggressive with braking and acceleration often.
Currently running akebono street performance pads, and I like them a lot. Rotors are generic autozone brand I think.

I've heard good things about EBC Black stuff for my type of driving, I'm looking for a not quite track performance pad with good cold bite.

Perhaps if you could share with us why it's "Time for pads and rotors" it would help us choose for you. What is the mileage, pad thickness, any symptoms or issues?

One thing I would suggest, if you really need a step up from OEM performance, stop pairing generic autozone rotors with expensive pads. Buy matched sets.

I'm also running the Akebono Street Perfomance pads with the Centric Premium H/C Cryo rotors on my G37 and I've never had them fade under "aggressive braking conditions" some at speeds potentially northward of that #. What was the last time you flushed your brake fluid? I had been a little neglectful of mine last spring and what I thought was fade with the new(er) pads turned out to be a little water in the fluid. Some fresh Valvoline Super 3/4 and those pads grab like magic, and barely wear at all with the cryo rotors.

Actually I didn't cause an accident, I was being pursued by a psycho with road rage and I tried to make a hard corner and the brakes didn't grab like I needed them to.
Approx 60k on pads, starting to get squeaky under light braking. Some judder.

Originally Posted by Dave9

You can't have both. You can either have pads with good grip when hot, OR cold, or not great at either, a compromise.

It's true that brake pads capable of great high temperature performance often don't provide good initial bite. But few people choose full race pads for the street.

However, is is good to understand that extremely rapid initial bite is often not a desirable thing for performance drivers as it can lead to immediate lockup and subsequent ABS activation. A properly chosen pad with 0.25 second temperature ramp-up is a non issue, does not elongate cold stopping distance and in fact will almost always test about 5 feet shorter in all tests from cold to hot.

It's also good to understand that there is little difference (about 5 feet) in 60-0 cold stopping distance among quality pads from the most basic organic to ceramic to semi met pads to full race pads. Often with the semi-met to race pads stopping a few feet shorter.

Quote the test below: "As the number of high-speed stops continued, the average semi-met pad had, by far, the most consistent braking performance"

http://www.hendonpub.com/resources/article_archive/results/details?id=1569

High performance semi metallic pads will please capable drivers. There is a reason very high quality semi metallic pads are universally chosen for police cars.

EBC rotors are either UK or USA higher carbon rotors, not chinese cast as most are, pick your pads depending on what you want + need. put their smooth rotors + yellow pads on my 2011 frontier, great braking + minimal dust!! shop on-line for best delivered price

I'm leaning toward the yellow stuff. Is there really a performance difference in rotors? I figured a slab of iron is pretty much a slab of iron.

If it's just a matter of the cheap rotors wear faster then I don't think the markup is worth it, if there's a legit performance improvement then I'll buy accordingly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back