Tick...Tick...Tick.. Vroom!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have noticed that when it's below zero and I start my 2012 Nissan Pathfinder 4.0 V6 I get a Tick...Tick...Tick .. When it starts. It only seems to do this when the temp is below zero and only for a second usually three quick quite audible ticks. I'm guessing this is the oil pressure trying to come up? Im running Formula Shell Full Synthetic 5w30.

I hope you realize that the oil drains from the oil passage ways with the engine turned off so when you start your car the oil displaces the air first?

If your saying it's only a sound presented when very cold I'd lean towards injectors,not oil.
But imposdible to diagnose over the Internet

Originally Posted By: Clevy
If your saying it's only a sound presented when very cold I'd lean towards injectors,not oil.
But imposdible to diagnose over the Internet

Yes I understand it's a reach for you all without hearing it. So are you saying that the injectors would react different when real cold?

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Sounds like my Jeep! I would blame the filter. What kind are you using now?

Fram TG

Originally Posted By: RamFan
The Hemi does the same thing, just pressure building.

Really? Mine doesn't. Strange!

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: RamFan
The Hemi does the same thing, just pressure building.

Really? Mine doesn't. Strange!

I've noticed that if I start her up and throw her into drive in a couple seconds that it'll tick 2 or 3 times. If I let her idle for a little bit before driving off she's butter smooth. I can only attribute it to the colder temps causing the oil to take a bit longer to fully lubricate all moving parts.

When I owned my 2.5L Altima before it's precat imploded, it used to make a ticking type noise in colder whether. Common issue in the 2.5L of that era. Some said it was the timing chain and/or timing chain tensioner. After the engine got warmer and oil more viscose the sound would go away. Filter brand made no difference, and I ran 5w30 all the time as spec'd. Realize it's a different engine(lucky for you), but something to consider.

If it bothers you that much could try a 0w30 oil in winter to see if it makes a difference. As the filter is also an easy thing to change, you could try a change, but ime I'm doubtful it will make a difference.

Other than that, just give it a little while longer to warm up and take it easy on acceleration after start up.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
When I owned my 2.5L Altima before it's precat imploded, it used to make a ticking type noise in colder whether. Common issue in the 2.5L of that era. Some said it was the timing chain and/or timing chain tensioner. After the engine got warmer and oil more viscose the sound would go away. Filter brand made no difference, and I ran 5w30 all the time as spec'd. Realize it's a different engine(lucky for you), but something to consider.

If it bothers you that much could try a 0w30 oil in winter to see if it makes a difference. As the filter is also an easy thing to change, you could try a change, but ime I'm doubtful it will make a difference.

Other than that, just give it a little while longer to warm up and take it easy on acceleration after start up.

Pretty common problem that turned out to be the injectors. Loudest cold injectors I have ever heard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back