Ran Jeep for 20 - 30 seconds w/o Oil

Made a mistake tonight. I was changing the oil on my 2005 Jeep GC 5.7. When I screwed a new oil filter back on, I got to what I thought was a snug point. As it turns out I wasn't close - my guess is there was crud on the threads. Started the thing, heard a weird whooshing noise pull the hood release and check the engine on top and below, and noticed the oil coming out - a lot and fast.

The whole ordeal was 30 seconds at an absolute maximum - probably closer to 20. The truck didn't move, nor did any lights come on - I don't know if the truck would register low oil pressure that quickly. When I filled it I ended up putting in about 5 quarts so I can assume there were two remaining.

What's the likelihood of damage? It seems fine but then this kind of damage is probably not obvious.

At idle there's like no wear. Slick 50 used to run Chrysler 2.2s with the oil pan and valve cover removed to show how much it protected the engine, when in reality an engine can run a long time at idle and no load without oil.

You likely didn't cause any damage, just keep driving it and pay attention for the next little while to see if anything seems amiss then forget about it if all seems well. My sister apparently started her Jeep Compass with the oil completely drained out of it a few years ago while her boyfriend was changing the oil a few years ago and it ran for a few seconds with no oil and it still runs just fine today.

At idle there's like no wear. Slick 50 used to run Chrysler 2.2s with the oil pan and valve covers removed to show how much it protected the engine, when in reality an engine can run a long time at idle and no load without oil.
Yep, and if I recall right Slick50 had to stop doing stupid marketing stunts like that when Briggs & Stratton sued them for using their motors because Briggs pointed out that their engines could often last several minutes before catastrophic failure with the oil removed.

Okay, assuming all goes well for the next 5k, I'm going to run a UOA. I expect to see no additional bearing metals!

Your engine runs about 10 seconds without oil pressure each oil change to begin with, running it another 10 seconds wouldn't hurt it due to the residual oil remaining.

And in your case it was most likely getting some oil to the engine.

This situation (no filter, double gasket, etc) happens all the time at quick lubes. If it really caused noticeable damage, many quick lubes would be out of business.

Given you still had about 2 quarts left, I would say you never actually ran out of oil while running. The pickup likely will still pull oil from those last 2.

I wouldn't worry about it myself. Nothing you can do either way anyway, but I honestly doubt you hurt anything.

I have been to a few events where they take a car and run it wide open without oil. It takes several minutes before the engine finally slows down and comes to a complete stop. Your engine will be fine.

Last August my nephew performed an oil change on our 2003 Camry and didn't tighten the oil filter (said he didn't want to "over tighten" it). When he started it the next day to go to work the car blew the filter off in the garage. There was a large puddle of oil on the floor plus the filter. He then proceeded to drive it to work (about 10 minutes away)...with the oil light on. I was preparing to install a new engine assuming it was toast (I posted about it here when it occurred). Long story short, I put a new filter on, filled it with oil and it's running fine. No noises, oil consumption, etc. We've added about 5,000 miles to the car and there are no signs of any noticeable damage. I think you'll be fine.

Made a mistake tonight. I was changing the oil on my 2005 Jeep GC 5.7. ... Started the thing, heard a weird whooshing noise pull the hood release and check the engine on top and below, and noticed the oil coming out - a lot and fast.

What's the likelihood of damage? It seems fine but then this kind of damage is probably not obvious.
No problem.

Back