Thoughts on this high mileage 2020 MAZDA CX-9

Umm...no, $12,900 auction price + maybe $500 buyers fees + $200-$400 shipping. That's $17,995 retail out on the lot.
I thought a person bought it, but no matter. If a dealer bought it that thing will be on one of the "buy here, pay here" crappy credit lots.

Most people only care about how a car is right now. Plus there is no reason the piston rings or rod bearings couldn't go another 100,000 miles or more. And even if they went soon, it would only cost maybe $2000 of the $10,000 they saved over a low mileage example.
$2k to swap engines?

To replace the rings and bearings.
Seems low for stripping the front of the engine (while in vehicle), pulling the head, pulling rods, then going in reverse. Lot of labor--which is why I was wondering if a low mile swap was cheaper.

Plus for what Astro14 went through with an engine open to the air and what can get inside of the engine when someone doesn't do at least one of the steps right... never mind the fact that the cylinders could be scratched, oval or pistons beat up, valve train wear... you're not quite in the cleanroom that engine assembly is normally done in.

Now if one could do the work themselves, yeah it's probably a grand in parts? just not sure it's $2k to pay for that, labor&parts.

Good prediction by you.

I still can’t fathom this mileage. An OTR trucker will do 100 to 120k a year on the high end. This thing would have to have been going turnpike speeds 8 or 9 hours a day (with fuel/food breaks) minimum, every work day, no breaks, for 3.5 years. Assume it went in service 10/2019 and came out this summer to go through the auction system and be spat out now (it takes a while usually). 3.5 years would equal 360 miles every single day of a five day week, no vacation/holidays what so ever.

How?

Most people only care about how a car is right now. Plus there is no reason the piston rings or rod bearings couldn't go another 100,000 miles or more. And even if they went soon, it would only cost maybe $2000 of the $10,000 they saved over a low mileage example.

I don’t disagree w/your thinking overall about this.

I read in a mechanical journal a thorough study estimated that 5k highway miles worked out to the same wear mechanically, overall, as 800 city miles. Apply that rule to this car and it’s like a 65k mile NYC car.

To replace the rings and bearings.
$2,000. Maybe from your life long best friend who is a mechanic that owes you big time for saving his life. :)

Now a days the starting point I think would be more around $3,500 if it was not you who did the work. And who knows if there is a lower end main bearing cap sub-frame unit for the main bearings that would need the transmission disconnected to pull the main caps? Add another $1,500. The turbo if original, is on it's last legs. Like the above poster suggested his price point, no more then a $8,000 gamble car. I myself would only gamble with my hard earned money at $5,000. It would be interesting to "follow the VIN# online with "The Google" and see if the new seller advertises a lower mileage #.

Last edited:
Having bought a few very high mileage cars, cheap, I would not have hesitated to give this on a look at the right price. I would rather buy a radically high mileage car than an average one. The mileage discount is usually well worth it, and the car, with less cold starts heat cycles and stop and go is usually in better shape than the average miler. It may have some unusual service needs, but overall it will likely cost less over the next 100k miles than an average miler unit. Then, factoring purchase cost delta, it’s a no brainer. This one went away way too expensive though.

Back