Thoughts on Fram TG 7317 for Honda

Status
Not open for further replies.
I inherited a Fram TG 7317 today, it got me thinking. Its VERY similar to the Honda A02 from the looks of the outside, and hopefully tomorrow ill cut it open and see how well the innards are constructed. I tried looking for the TG 7317 cut open and only found 1 post and it was a used one that looks different than the one I have, mine looks newer and has a different base plate, exactly the same as the Honda A02. The only reason I use Honda filters is because of the good flowing properties and the fact that it is made to Honda specs. I like the fact that the TG is more efficient. I would like a more efficient filter but last time I tried that the engine ticked (Fram Ultra). Anyway does anyone have experience with the TG in a Honda? What does your car sound like (ticking wise) with the filter...after an oil change did it knock? (mine sure did with the Ultra). If I decide to give it a try it will be after the winter months most likely. I still have two Honda A02's for two more oil changes. Comments are welcome, no bashing though.

I did, on here and on google. Only came back with ONE TG7317 and it was an older model that was used.

Main thing I am looking for is to see if the construction is any better than the A02 I just cut open and am currently using. Things like misaligned endcaps and media that is not fully glued to the endcaps. Personally I have no issues with Fram, other than the OCOD. Even those arent THAT bad.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
You should use Hyundai filters - they cure ticking.

Im not necessarily looking to switch filters. The Honda OEM filters have stopped the loud ticking that it had with the FU....still has "normal" engine ticking sounds on some start ups, but nothing that really concerns me. But if the TG had good construction and didnt have any issues with ticking in my application then I would run it. The fact that its more efficient intrigues me.

Last edited:
I've got one on my Ridgeline. Haven't experienced any ticking, but then again with the near-constant "ticking" discussion here on BITOG, either I don't have a correctly calibrated ear, or I've been very fortunate with my engines.

No abnormal noise on post-OCI startup, and the oil pressure light went out immediately. I do, however, pre-fill the filter. I used the very light Mazda 0W-20 w/ moly, if that has any bearing on the discussion. I liked that the TG7317 is a similar build to the OEM A02, but the high efficiency (especially compared to OEM) is what sold me on it. I don't fear the fiber endcaps, especially compared to the no endcap designs of the low efficiency OEMs.

Next OCI, I'll be synced up with the A/B code on the MM, and I'll switch to a Fram Ultra for the *gasp* 2 OCI per FCI schedule. I'll keep my ears open to see if I can contribute a data point regarding ticking/knocking.

(no bashing, but I'll get my opinion in: give the MM a chance!)

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Comments are welcome, no bashing though.

I like this rule. Why don't you give it a try?

Well guys I just cut it open, I can post pics if you like. Its really the exact same as the Honda filter. Just different media, exact same end caps, same ADBV, same design of pressure relief (not sure if its the same spec though. Same baseplate as well.

Quote:
..... Just different media.......

Which is a huge 'just', as it's 99% vs 66% @20um for A02. TG is much more efficient. Too bad you wasted a good filter as many have been posted previously on the net and youtube dissections. Only difference now is the once highly touted screen over bypass has been eliminated.

I'd have no problem using the TG if the price was right, not everyday Wally price. In fact it would be my preference over the A02. But, having used different aftermarket filters on my Hondas with no issues, and knowing the oil filter flow is an insignificant consideration in pc use, no reason to chase the oem.

The Tough Guard has a much higher efficiency than your Honda filter. Tough Guards are also the only filter that will rival a Motorcraft for start ups on my finicky Jeep, good filters. I would be very surprised if you get any start up ticking with a Tough Guard.

TG's are well made and a good bargain at WW. Shame to cut one up when there are already pix here of that brand-specific product. But to each his own ...

I like the TG; excellent efficiency, silicone ADBV, decent construction. It's not top-tier (that would be the Ultra) but I do use the TG in some applications. Never had one reason to doubt their performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back