Fram Ultra 7317 C&P x3 20k miles each

Three Fram Ultra XG7317 filters that were run on my 2021 Honda Accord Hybrid for 20k miles each. These are all the OG wire-backed synthetic media Ultra's that I picked up several years ago when Fram made the change. The oldest has a sticker and no date code could be found. All ADBV were flexible and the relief valves were all coil spring.

I change the oil at 5k and the filter every 20k. This is a normally aspirated, port injection, Atkinson cycle engine. Honda recommends 10k+ miles and a filter every other change as usual.

Enjoy.
Filter 1 is the 60-80k mile run
IMG_0090.jpeg
IMG_0091.jpeg
IMG_0092.jpeg
IMG_0094.jpeg

Filter 2 was run from 40-60k miles
IMG_0096.jpeg
IMG_0097.jpeg
IMG_0098.jpeg

Last is the 20k-40k mile run.
IMG_0100.jpeg
IMG_0101.jpeg

20k miles on the OG Ultra, no problem. The older XGs used an etched type date code that could be difficult to find/read. I still have one same application OG left, currently saving it for posterity. :)

Thanks c&p.

Three Fram Ultra XG7317 filters that were run on my 2021 Honda Accord Hybrid for 20k miles each. These are all the OG wire-backed synthetic media Ultra's that I picked up several years ago when Fram made the change. The oldest has a sticker and no date code could be found. All ADBV were flexible and the relief valves were all coil spring.

I change the oil at 5k and the filter every 20k. This is a normally aspirated, port injection, Atkinson cycle engine. Honda recommends 10k+ miles and a filter every other change as usual.

Enjoy.
Filter 1 is the 60-80k mile run
View attachment 217353View attachment 217354View attachment 217355View attachment 217356
Filter 2 was run from 40-60k miles
View attachment 217359View attachment 217360View attachment 217361

Last is the 20k-40k mile run.
View attachment 217362View attachment 217363

Nice photos. What oil and filter went back on and in? I Thank You sir 🍺🇺🇸👍

Nice photos. What oil and filter went back on and in? I Thank You sir 🍺🇺🇸👍
I have the last of the OG Ultra's on the car now, will go to 100k. I'm looking at filters now to replace the Ultra. I have used 0w-20 PPPP, Valvoline AFS, and now have a stash of clearance Castrol EP. I have a stash of oils so in the summer I mix in a quart of 5w-30, in the winter i mix in Castrol 0w-16 to use them up. Thick 20 in summer, thin 20 in winter is my thinking to use up my clearance stash.

I have the last of the OG Ultra's on the car now, will go to 100k. I'm looking at filters now to replace the Ultra. I have used 0w-20 PPPP, Valvoline AFS, and now have a stash of clearance Castrol EP. I have a stash of oils so in the summer I mix in a quart of 5w-30, in the winter i mix in Castrol 0w-16 to use them up. Thick 20 in summer, thin 20 in winter is my thinking to use up my clearance stash.

Since you are actually running them 20k, the Fram Endurance would seem like a natural replacement.

Did you mean to say you changed the oil every 5k? Those filters looks real clean for 20k which is understandable with oil changes. You're still getting your money's worth out of them. Nice job!

Did you mean to say you changed the oil every 5k? Those filters looks real clean for 20k which is understandable with oil changes. You're still getting your money's worth out of them. Nice job!
Yes, 5k mile OCI. Since the engine is NA and port injected I’m sure I could go 10k, especially with my 25k/yr highway miles. But I have a stash of clearance and sale oils so it costs less than $10 per oil change. A new premium filter costs more than the oil. I’m still using up RGT and M1AP!

Eric @ I Do Cars on YouTube has convinced me that long OCI’s aren’t good.

Last edited:
Yes, 5k mile OCI. Since the engine is NA and port injected I’m sure I could go 10k, especially with my 25k/yr highway miles. But I have a stash of clearance and sale oils so it costs less than $10 per oil change. A new premium filter costs more than the oil. I’m still using up RGT and M1AP!

Thanks for the clarification. It is very cost effective to replace oil at $10.

Lotl I see that your car is a Hybrid, in those 20,000 miles do you have any idea how many of those miles were run on the Gas Engine itself? I am assuming that when you changed your oil every 5000 miles, some of those miles were not on the gas engine.

I only ask because I do not know how Cars that are Hybrids calculate mileage, is there one for the Electric Engine and 1 for the Gas Engine?

Lotl I see that your car is a Hybrid, in those 20,000 miles do you have any idea how many of those miles were run on the Gas Engine itself? I am assuming that when you changed your oil every 5000 miles, some of those miles were not on the gas engine.

I only ask because I do not know how Cars that are Hybrids calculate mileage, is there one for the Electric Engine and 1 for the Gas Engine?
I guesstimate 70% ICE on. It’s not a plug-in so all energy is derived from gasoline.

Since day one I’m averaging 2.08g/100 mi, or 48.1mpg over 83,774 miles.

I guesstimate 70% ICE on. It’s not a plug-in so all energy is derived from gasoline.

Since day one I’m averaging 2.08g/100 mi, or 48.1mpg over 83,774 miles.
Hold onto that Oil Filter and maybe wrap the media in a paper towel to dry it off, ZeeOSix can give you some pointers. I am guessing with your type of driving you could easily go 25K on an oil filter, that oil filter now would be the Fram Endurance.

I would not go 20K on the new Fram Ultra.

Hold onto that Oil Filter and maybe wrap the media in a paper towel to dry it off, ZeeOSix can give you some pointers. I am guessing with your type of driving you could easily go 25K on an oil filter, that oil filter now would be the Fram Endurance.

I would not go 20K on the new Fram Ultra.
Price per mile the Ultra is still a better deal if I stick to 20k/filter change.

$7.67 Amazon S&S XG7317 20k miles $0.38/1k miles
12.97 Walmart exclusive FE7317 25k miles $0.52/ 1k miles

Same filtration specs so the Ultra wins. And I don’t have to go to Walmart🤮 I could run a TG but the $0.50 difference over 20k miles is nothing.

Last edited:
Back