Thoughts on buying a slightly used Mitsu Outlander

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Well history is all that we have to go by. They initially made a quality product that killed many Americans.

Thank the Lord that VW, Mercedes Benz, BMW, Audi, and Porsche never were used in the taking of American and allied lives in WWII.
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: Shrubitup
Well history is all that we have to go by. They initially made a quality product that killed many Americans.

Thank the Lord that VW, Mercedes Benz, BMW, Audi, and Porsche never were used in the taking of American and allied lives in WWII.
smirk.gif

Technically, if you're a tree hugger then you'd believe VW's Dieselgate is still killing Americans.

Originally Posted By: macarose
Hey there. My name is Steven Lang. Feel free to Google my name and 'cars', and you'll know exactly who I am and what I do.

A two to three year Outlander is a fantastic value IF you can get it with a stick. Those vehicles lose their value quick. Not because they're unreliable, but because Mitsubishi simply doesn't invest much marketing muscle in the US market.

Long-term reliability can be found here.

http://longtermqualityindex.com/vehicles/Mitsubishi_Outlander.html

Feedback from actual owners can be found here.

http://www.carsurvey.org/reviews/mitsubishi/outlander/

I just bought an AWD 2012 model yesterday for only $7000 plus a $205 auction fee. It has 56k and is still under warranty. One important thing to note. If you do get a CVT model get the fluid changed every 30k and stick with the Mitsubishi fluid. The transmission is not the same as the ones mentioned earlier. Nissan and Renault do use that CVT but that unit is only shared with European models.

Hope this helps!

https://www.facebook.com/steven.lang.923

What's wrong with the CVT transmissions? I am not interested in a stick shift

Seems like a decent reason to buy one used. Depreciated, and so far, no real proof (outside of the CVT's) that they have real issues. Buy cheap enough and you might not care if it does take a hard failure--use, abuse and throw away when done.

Originally Posted By: 7055

Steve says it's not the same CVT as... other vehicles. Maybe it's a good unit, but so far old CVT's haven't been reliable. That might be different today on the newest units; Toyota and Subaru have gotten into the game and sold them in large quantities.

Originally Posted By: supton

Steve says it's not the same CVT as... other vehicles. Maybe it's a good unit, but so far old CVT's haven't been reliable. That might be different today on the newest units; Toyota and Subaru have gotten into the game and sold them in large quantities.

Are you saying it's an old CVT in the Outlander with proven reliability issues or a new CVT?

Are you saying it's an old CVT in the Outlander with proven reliability issues or a new CVT?

No, I have a apologize--I don't know much about Mitsu at all, and no idea about their CVT's. Only the generality that CVT's have been problematic, and that I'd be concerned about their CVT's in general, and anything "old" in particular.

Originally Posted By: macarose
Hey there. My name is Steven Lang. Feel free to Google my name

You're the American actor and playwriter who starred in "Avatar"?

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
What is it that is so bad about these cars that they don't sell?

It's their well deserved reputation for poor reliability.

I offer this as further proof:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Philippine_Sea
The four Japanese air strikes involved 373 carrier aircraft, of which 130 returned to the carriers. Many of these survivors were subsequently lost when the carriers Taiho and Shōkaku were sunk by submarine attacks on the first day of the battle. After the second day of the battle, losses totaled three carriers, more than 433 carrier aircraft, and around 200 land-based aircraft.

Losses on the U.S. side on the first day were only 23 aircraft. The second day's airstrike against the Japanese fleet saw most of the aircraft losses for the U.S. Of the 215 aircraft launched on the strike, only 115 made it back. Twenty were lost to enemy action in the attack, while 80 more were lost when they expended their fuel returning to their carriers and had to ditch into the sea.

So of the 123 aircraft lost by the US, really only 43 were lost due to enemy fire. The Japanese lost 550–645 aircraft. These air planes were mostly made my Mitsubishi, so as you can see, their reputation for building shoddy merchandise goes back far.

This is one of the more idiotic posts I have seen recently related to modern automobiles. next are we going to going on that Ford was Nazi supporter and call them something.

Originally Posted By: Silk
I work for a Mitsi dealer, we only see Outlanders of any year for servicing, nothing at all goes wrong with them. We did lose an engine at 140km, but it had only had 3 oil changes in that time. Our Mitsubishis are made in Thailand, where are the US ones made?....if they are made locally, that could be your quality problem.

I have to agree with Silk.

Our European Outlanders are made in Japan, and are faultless. Nothing goes wrong with them, excluding always short tripping a diesel with DPF resulting in fuel dilution.

It's an honest product. I don't need to wory about breaking something if I dismantle the interior for adding some electronics (parking sensors or tow bar electrics). Clutches are extremably good in the manuals, we hadn't had a single one in for replacement in the last 3 years. I like how the SUV's drive better than the others we sell, though I'm not an SUV guy.

We also sell Hyundais. They look nice but it's [censored] in reality. I could never recommend anyone a recent Hyundai. If you need to remove interior parts, you're lucky if there's only invisible damage. The electrics are poorly made and run through the vehicle aswell. Most of the engines are poor both in fuel economy and durability. 5 times out of then, there's something wrong when they come in for a service though the owner might not know. Owners are lucky to get 60k out of a clutch. Quality of build has dropped significantly in the last 10 years and the signs for the future aren't positive.

Keep on top of the fluid changes and the Mitsubishis will last until they rust out. This takes about 20 years here with cars that are always outside (salted roads in winter) but even then they could be repairable. We don't get all the engines/models here though, for either brand.

I LOVED my Mitsubushi (3000GT). If I ever see a low mileage pristine stock one,I'll buy it in a heartbeat.

smirk.gif

Yes, we shouldn't bicker and argue about who killed who.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y34RlJ0L0xE

smirk.gif

Technically, if you're a tree hugger then you'd believe VW's Dieselgate is still killing Americans.

Maybe not dieselgate but blown glass art studios are choking up Portlandia.
shocked.gif

https://www.yahoo.com/news/green-minded-portland-rocked-heavy-181434267.html

I have never known anybody who was disappointed by mits. realibility in their cars or dodge rebadged. They mostly all had average experiences .

If the price were right and did not hate driving it I'd bite on one.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
What is it that is so bad about these cars that they don't sell?

It's their well deserved reputation for poor reliability.

I offer this as further proof:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Philippine_Sea
The four Japanese air strikes involved 373 carrier aircraft, of which 130 returned to the carriers. Many of these survivors were subsequently lost when the carriers Taiho and Shōkaku were sunk by submarine attacks on the first day of the battle. After the second day of the battle, losses totaled three carriers, more than 433 carrier aircraft, and around 200 land-based aircraft.

Losses on the U.S. side on the first day were only 23 aircraft. The second day's airstrike against the Japanese fleet saw most of the aircraft losses for the U.S. Of the 215 aircraft launched on the strike, only 115 made it back. Twenty were lost to enemy action in the attack, while 80 more were lost when they expended their fuel returning to their carriers and had to ditch into the sea.

So of the 123 aircraft lost by the US, really only 43 were lost due to enemy fire. The Japanese lost 550–645 aircraft. These air planes were mostly made my Mitsubishi, so as you can see, their reputation for building shoddy merchandise goes back far.

This is one of the more idiotic posts I have seen recently related to modern automobiles. next are we going to going on that Ford was Nazi supporter and call them something.

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ A ridiculous argument to have in this forum.

What do you think about a 2 year old Dodge Journey?

A vehicle that gives Chrysler the deserved reputation of producing awful vehicles. That being said did you test drive it, my experience was a rental "upgrade" when the compact was not available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back