Thoughts on buying a slightly used Mitsu Outlander

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been thinking about purchasing a slightly used 2014 or 2015 Mitsubishi Outlander because I understand that the value of those cars is very low. Lower than the Subarus, Hondas and Toyota crossovers etc. What is it that is so bad about these cars that they don't sell? It seems like you can pick one up for much cheaper than the competition.

I like the brand but they've fallen on hard times the last 10 or so years due to lackluster models etc. I'd prefer the 2015; not only does it look better (IMO), it has various driving enhancements over the 2014.

2014-mitsubishi-outlander-us-pricing-57134_1.jpg

mitsubishi-outlander-2015-(2).jpg

If you like the vehicle, the price is right and you have dealer service nearby to honor the warranty, go for it. They are trying to make a come back and I hope they do. More choices out there never hurts.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
It was years ago but I had a Mitsubishi truck.worst car I ever had.never again

What was wrong with it, and do the Outlanders have the same problems?

Originally Posted By: wemay
I like the brand but they've fallen on hard times the last 10 or so years due to lackluster models etc. I'd prefer the 2015; not only does it look better (IMO), it has various driving enhancements over the 2014.

What exactly are the differences?

Have you driven one? I looked at the 2016 ES FWD. Thought it was a lot of car for the money (heavy discounts available.) Very roomy, lots of cargo space with the 3rd row folded away and very nice fit and finish. Then I drove it.

The CVT paired with the somewhat underpowered 4 cyl was a real deal breaker for me. Just felt like a bloated pig to me. Stomp on the gas and get a lot of noise with little acceleration. I'm sure the V6 is much, much better, but it's a lot more money too.

Go drive it and see if you like it. I sure didn't.

Originally Posted By: 7055

I thought the mitsu trucks were really rebadged Dodge trucks
so that answers your question.

I'd buy one cant be any worse than the issues with some other new cars such as the 9-speed Cherokee abortion problem.

Originally Posted By: Rand

I thought the mitsu trucks were really rebadged Dodge trucks
so that answers your question.

I'd buy one cant be any worse than the issues with some other new cars such as the 9-speed Cherokee abortion problem.

Depends on which ones you are talking about.. The old D50's were Mitsu trucks badged as dodges. The newer raider trucks were dodges badged as mitsu's.. You sound like quite the Chrysler fan..

From a friend who recently (within the past 6 years) had an EVO and an Outlander (both purchased new) this sounds like his sentiments.

It seems like everyone says they're so bad but nobody can give any specifics on what's bad about them.

Last edited:
Mitsubishi reliability was worse than average in Consumer Report annual edition for many year. Consumers stay away from them and their sale volume keeps dropping every year. That why you can buy any Mitsubishi vehicle for much less than competitors.

Is it just the reliability that causes their value to be so low? Also is it plausible to be able to predict the future reliability of a car that's only 1 or 2 years old?

Reliability is the main problem, the others are resale value, parts availability and price, dealer service ...

If a manufacture had reliability below average for 20-25 years for all its vehicles, chance is that newest vehicles will suffer the same problem.

Mitsubishi is still recovering from hard times in the first decade of the 2000s. They had gotten in over their heads with some sort of no down payment financing scheme, then got hit by the general auto industry crisis before they could recover from that. The quality and number of products available here suffered during that time, but have been steadily improving for the last few years.

One issue with Mitsubishi can be their dealer network or lack of it. Not a big deal most of the time for BITOG types, but it can be an issue if you need something like a key replaced, or want to get an OE part today (which may be all that is available), or need warranty work done.

My parents purchased a brand new Outlander in 2007. Not sure what if any is similar to the newer models you are looking at.

Theirs has proved to be a great value. Now at 105k miles and it has not had a single issue. Tires, brakes, oil changes- nothing outside of regular maintenance. It is still putting around and holding up great. I was never impressed with the interior and the sea of plastic everywhere. Theirs is the V6 which is quick.

Only thing I know about them is the reviews which are easy to find online. Lower scoring compared to competition.Seems they are a generation behind in engineering and amenities, ride/handling, under powered with the 4 cyl/cvt combo etc.

If you like the looks, the way it drives and the price, no reason for you not to buy it. You are the one driving and buying it. Just remember resale (if that is important) will be lower as well.

Originally Posted By: tenderloin
Only thing I know about them is the reviews which are easy to find online. Lower scoring compared to competition.Seems they are a generation behind in engineering and amenities, ride/handling, under powered with the 4 cyl/cvt combo etc.

If you like the looks, the way it drives and the price, no reason for you not to buy it. You are the one driving and buying it. Just remember resale (if that is important) will be lower as well.

True, but that's why I would buy used, to take advantage of the low resale.

How about the reliability of Subaru Foresters?

It seems like everyone says they're so bad but nobody can give any specifics on what's bad about them.

Everything. Constant drivability concerns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back