Thoughts on a few SUVs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I might go looking this weekend to replace my wife's Xterra. The number of problems I am reading about on the Xterra and Frontier forums for the 2005 model has me spooked about keeping this thing long-term, so I might see about unloading it and upgrading before something big reveals itself.

We will probably look at a Toyota Highlander V6, Honda Pilot, Nissan Murano, and maybe a Subaru Outback. Unfortunately she seems least excited about the Outback, while I think it is probably the best one for our needs and price-wise. The Murano is probably the smallest of the group as far as cargo space. I don't care about third-row seats, even though the Highlander and Pilot have them.

What I am considering may be new or used. Currently the list prices for 1-2 year old versions of these are nearly the same price as I am seeing for new ones, so I guess it would depend on what price I could really get. Plus she wants bluetooth, since I upgraded the stereo in the X so she has BT streaming and her calls go through the speakers. At least for some models, finding the BT on a non-fully loaded model is difficult. It seems people either get the "standard" model or the top of the line model. No one gets a mid-range model and adds an option package for bluetooth apparently.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone owns one of these in their current model form and how the ownership experience has been.

Funny thing, Im going through a similar situation with my wife currently. Im getting her a new car early-mid March. She wants an SUV, I want to get her a car since gas isnt getting any cheaper. We tested the CRV, Rav4, and the subaru forester. She loved the forester, I wanted her to test the Outback since it suits our needs much much better. No chance, couldnt even get her to test-drive it. She does not want a van or a wagon.

For you, depends on how long you want to keep your car long term, its a better move to buy new, especially since the rebates on some models are pretty good. Out of your list, the highlander and pilot are top in the class, between them I cant choose.

As for BT, if all else fails, get an aftermarket stereo with built in BT or an aftermarket BT system. Will work out way cheaper than getting a higher-end car model just for that feature. Good luck with the hunt!

The XTerra is in a different class compared to the models you listed. Personally, if I were to buy a SUV, it would be truck based (full frame), with the exception of a Cherokee.

What type of service will it see? While I don't have personal experience with any of these models, I have wheeled with a local XTerra club and they are very stout vehicles (IMO). I haven't heard of many compaints from any of them. Any shortcomings of maintaining your current vehicle may be better than a new vehicle payment. I usually drive things to the ground, so that is my perspective.

Used car market, at least around the NY/NJ/CT/MA area is running higher and higher profits as more people cannot affor new. So + 1 to buying new if you can get the right incentive.

Pilot is an excellent choice!

Go for a Ford Escape V-6, 4WD if you want.

It's the last year they are making them, so you should be able to find a great deal on one.

I would try to get something smaller if you don't care about a third row seat. An Escape/rav4/crv is probably about the same size on the inside as an xterra and would get better gas mileage and be more carlike on the road.

The Pilot is a lot larger than the rest. The new Highlander isn't far behind. The Toyota V6 is a better mill than any of the others. Unfortunately on the Highlander it's still matched to a 5 speed. But that would probably be my choice of those you've mentioned. The Murano's strength is really it's looks and it's getting dated. She doesn't like the Outback. The Pilot is way bigger than you probably need and has the timing belt, bad mileage, always dicey Honda tranny.

Body on frame recommendations are always funny to me there is no mention of any offroading requirement. Maybe gas will drop to 89 cents a gallon this summer, right?

My MIL has the Forester V6, 1 year old. Useless SUV.
Loud and raspy engine, very hard plastic interior, and road noise is very loud. Try to avoid it if you can.

when I switched from H4 Subaru to V6 RAV4 I got identical MPG. You can get even better MPG in I4 RAV4. Toyota may not be the quality king it used to be, but it does have the best MPG numbers. Worth consideration with the $4+ gas prices coming soon.

Nobody's mentioned the Ford Edge or Mazda CX-9 yet?

For mpg, you could consider a Jetta TDi sportwagen, Golf 5-door TDi, or Prius. Spend the money you save not getting AWD on good winter tires. You will have quite nearly the cargo capacity of the smaller crossover SUVs if not more without the simulated truck suspension.

I know, I know.....the regular Prius is not a wagon and you have to get the newer Prius V. But do not underestimate the cargo capacity of a good hatchback. My Mazda6S is my "SUV". For example: A store employee was helping me move my new wood-chipper to the car. When we arrived at my car he took one look and rolled his eyes no doubt thinking, "this will never fit in the trunk of a sedan." The whole back of the car opens and the container easily fits.
"Wow, Are they all like this?"

If you want something a little closer to the Xterra in design, maybe you could consider the Jeep Liberty?

My roommate has a badly beaten 2004 Liberty Sport with the 3.7 V6 and 4WD. It's closing in on 200K miles and still runs and drives great with the bare minimum amount of maintenance (first ATF change was at 186K miles). The body is starting to fall apart, but the way this thing gets used that's no surprise. It needs a couple window regulators replaced and the tailgate no longer opens, but as far as starting and driving every day without problems it's hard to beat.

The Highlander sounds like a great option.
What about the Venza? Better mpg on city and highway, and a bit cheaper.

Last edited:
decide if you want fwd, awd, 4wd, decide what HP you want..

that will eliminate about half the choices in 5min.

Then go test drive and sort out which one you like best and what the best value is.

IMO the new chevy equinox is very nice but its more minivan than old school suv

Last edited:
Murano is pretty solid. Proven platform, proven motor. Nice all-around vehicle. Should be pretty reliable.

Let me throw one more option into the group. Check out a Mitsubishi Outlander. Large cargo capacity, comfortable ride, and if you buy new they have the same 5yr/60,000 mile 10yr,100,000 mile powertrain warranty that Hyundai and Kia have.

I bought my 08 Outlander new in June of 2008 and am very happy with it. No problems so far and Consumer Reports rates them above average in reliability. Price wise they compete with the CR-V, RAV4, Rogue,and Outback.

I can say that FWD with a good set of tires still isn't AWD. I've been looking at RAV4 for myself, as my Jetta Wagon lacks a bit of winter grip. 99% of the time it's sufficent. It's that 1% that makes one wonder. That, and the number of times I don't do something because I don't know if I will have traction...

I'd avoid VW, unless if you can get good non-dealer service. Maybe they are better. Probably not. Good vehicles, but they have lots of little issues. Love mine, would keep if it was AWD. Will likely do so, as it's hitting 48mpg now that I've taken to setting the cruise to road-legal speeds. But it needs repair every year, and has done so since 3years/100kmiles. I'm hard pressed to believe that the new ones are much better; and they have more expensive diesel emissions equipment. The other vehicles should have similar vehicle repair histories and real world mpg histires--another reason why I'm thinking Toyota for next time.

I'd figure out what you need, versus want, first; then figure out what it's worth to you. Then narrow the field to a vehicle, or a range of them. Gas will only go up in price in the future, but if you drive few miles/year it may not be a big issue.

If that '05 Xterra is paid off, why even bother? What future problems are you hoping to avoid (I have an '06)? If it is the contaminated antifreeze/transmission fluid issue, there is a simple bypass that takes about 10 minutes that eliminates that threat. If you are worried about the timing chain tensioners, it's a '05, so if you haven't experienced problems yet, you probably won't. Those are the only two "big" problems I am aware of with that model. There is NO WAY I would trade in a paid off '05 on fears of what MIGHT happen in the future. The current generation Xterra's are robust, built on a truck frame and made to last. I think the term "drives like new" is overly used when describing used cars but my '06 Xterra (with 113K) drives just as it did off the lot..no rattles, firm, etc.

Thanks for the input. The Xterra worries me because of the timing chain tensioner issue seems to not be "solved" by the repair, just replaced. So I'll pay $1500 for an issue that may reappear. I also would have to replace the radiator, as I don't want to just do the bypass as Ryansride mentioned. I just feel like the design is like that for a reason, even though the X forums report close to normal temps from the bypassed tranny. I also read about issues with the differential on the '05 X. It seems like this truck has a case of "first year" quality issues that you think would be a thing of the past by now. The fact I haven't had anything yet doesn't mean I am out of the woods, it means I could just be gearing up for some expensive repairs on a truck she really doesn't want.

Yes it is paid off, but my wife also wants something that rides nicer. I'm in the club of not buying a car for the sake of buying a car (my 12 year old Civic is proof), so normally I would say keep pushing on with this one. I wasn't around when she bought the X new, so I don't know what the thought process was when she bought an off-road oriented SUV. She certainly doesn't drive it on trails. It does see a little "off-road" action when we go camping or our weekly trip to a place for the dogs (it is just a bad dirt road though). Every time we take a road trip in it, she complains that it isn't as comfortable as being a passenger in my Civic. I point out she bought a truck made for off-roading, not highway cruising.

Anyway, we hit Honda yesterday and Toyota and Subaru today. She didn't even want to drive the Outback. Said it was too small. Personally I thought the Subie felt like the highest quality car as far as interior materials and "thud" of the door. We drove a Highlander SE and was a little disappointed. A few too many cheap feeling surfaces inside, gaps on interior panels and exterior panels didn't seem all that tight. Drivetrain was nice and smooth and rode nice. The radio kept trying to pair itself with a bluetooth device for some reason.

We drove a Pilot EX-L with Navigation and she seems to have anointed it the winner. It does have a ton of space. Adequate power. Felt solid, but did also suffer from some cheap interior touches (my 2000 has nice plastics than some of these new cars), but the overall fit and finish was a bit tighter than the Toyota IMO. I'm going to scour over the Pilot forum and see what issues, if any, this truck has. From what I can tell though, sticking to the maintenance (or a little aggressive on something like the ATF) should keep it ticking for a long time. I also might see what kind of deal I could get for a CPO 2010-11, if I find one in the right color/trim. Advertised prices aren't showing much of a deal though.

We ended up ditching the Murano as an idea. I threw out the CX-9 to her as an option, but she didn't like the colorful gauge cluster, which does seem a little busy. Plus Mazda lost out by not having a dealership nearby to stop into without much effort. No interest in the Ford Edge.

Regarding fuel economy, her commute is about 12 miles a day, so we won't be bankrupted by this thing. In the summer we have a long drive once a week where it sees its limited "off-road" action. Mostly the 4WD/AWD is the usual "perceived" need" that so many have. There is no real "need" for the ability. I like to point out to her that I never got stuck or in a ditch in Upstate NY with a Civic with all-season tires on it. Yet she wants AWD/4WD. She did grow up in the DC area, so I guess snow is scarier down here.

She has no interest in Jeep, and her sister and her husband had a Dodge Durango that crosses that brand off the list as well.

I actually would prefer going the CPO route, but for the Pilot, they did make some notable improvements in the refresh for '12, in particular regarding noise reduction.

I still might look at another Highlander and see if the one I looked at was just a poor example, but right now the Pilot is #1 on the list. The feedback on Pilots I've read over the 'net doesn't reveal too many issues though. The Highlander forum did have some interesting issues popping up that seemed very un-Toyota-like.

Originally Posted By: VicVinegar
She has no interest in Jeep, and her sister and her husband had a Dodge Durango that crosses that brand off the list as well.

I actually would prefer going the CPO route, but for the Pilot, they did make some notable improvements in the refresh for '12, in particular regarding noise reduction.

I still might look at another Highlander and see if the one I looked at was just a poor example, but right now the Pilot is #1 on the list. The feedback on Pilots I've read over the 'net doesn't reveal too many issues though. The Highlander forum did have some interesting issues popping up that seemed very un-Toyota-like.

Yeah, there are alot of un-Toyota-like things popping up at Toyota lately! I think it's time to move on to other vehicles, as least IMHO!

Over the last 25+ years, I've been driving lots of Honda's Toytoa's and recently Nissan & Mazda but, they're not the big splash in the pool anymore. There are too many good choices to stick with or only consider them(HonYotaSanZdaBaru). The tide is turning and the domestic vehicle are on the rise...Finaly!

I was mad at the domestic vehicle MFG's for not building the vehicles that they should have been building and I stuck with'em for a long time. Finaly, I cured my car problems by swithching manufactures and went with the Asian MFG's over the past 1/4 century.

Now, I'm turing back! I drive lots of vehicles and at one time the Asian vehicles had more of what I liked. Not anymore! Now, they feel cheap and poorly put together compared to some of the better domestic vehicles. I think that the reliabiltiy thingy is more of a hit and miss now with any of the MFG's including HON/YOTA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back