Are you normally a new or used vehicle buyer?

Because I've been a fan of Japanese cars for several years and they don't appreciate much, I've bought new. I bought my Maverick new as that's all there was.

Depends on the car. Something like a couple year old Camry, might as well buy new.

In 2019 I bought my 2015 Genesis for $21k, was $53k new.

In 2023 I bought my current 2018 Genesis for $27k, was $57k new.

We've gone both ways over the years and we have had some really good used cars.
OTOH, if you do the math it isn't dramatically cheaper to buy used if you plan on keeping a car and running it past 150K miles.
With a new car, you get to drive it for its best 100K miles, where you'll do nothing beyond oil changes and a set of tires and a battery, maybe brakes.
I can see the case for buying either way but neither is a silver bullet in terms of saving on ownership cost.
The logic changes for those who can only afford well used, especially if they're willing to develop their skill set and get their hands dirty.
Also, you wanna a Mercedes, a Jaguar or a BMW? These cars have dramatic depreciation early in their lives so can be a very sensible buy if you want one. Been there, done that, was happy with the outcome.

One of my problems with new is as soon as I made a few payments the newness started to wear off.

The 2008 Volvo is the newest vehicle year I've ever bought used. I could go and get almost any brand new car or truck right now w/cash but that's just not how I roll & believe there are plenty of decent used vehicles out there. Although, out of around 35-40 vehicles I've owned the general outcome was the higher I paid the better vehicle I was able to get into. New vehicles are just not worth their value to me unless you drive it until the wheels fall off but sadly the majority of owners don't do that. Wait a min, don't be sad that's what gets me into the used market when folks buy new. I'll take the good used leftovers they no longer want. 😜

Have only bought used, usually higher mileage until my last purchase which was a CPO so I got a warranty and stuff. New would be nice someday but hasn't made financial sense for me

Usually new. Not a mechanic so fixing things is no longer appealing to me. But I have bought used. Really depends on the needs and wants, and a hefty dose of emotions at the time.

Right now buying used is such a gamble... but new is expensive. The middle ground is full of unknown risk it seems and isn't what it used to be.

I’ve bought new twice.
A 2009 Jeep Liberty in 2009 that had been test driven up to 50 miles and the dealer did everything to get me to buy it.
A 2015 Jeep Wrangler two door built to my specs, paid way too much for it but was a good experience.

Now, that was only ten years ago but since 2014 my automotive knowledge has grown tremendously and i’ve bought quite a few used cars with issues for deals and fixed them up myself…but I do miss my Wrangler 🥲

Since 06 I have bought five new and one used. I prefer new but the used was was a once in a lifetime bargain. Early on it was used only. Too many mouths to feed and clothe.

Never bought new, always used. Too cheap, and rarely find anything I wanted SO much that I wanted it new. Like changing up vehicles once I’ve gotten a decent amount of life out of them.

I could go and get almost any brand new car or truck right now w/cash but that's just not how I roll & believe there are plenty of decent used vehicles out there. Although, the general outcome was the higher I paid the better vehicle I was able to get into. New vehicles are just not worth their value to me unless you drive it until the wheels fall off but sadly the majority of owners don't do that. Wait a min, don't be sad that's what gets me into the used market when folks buy new. I'll take the good used leftovers they no longer want. 😜
This⬆️

Just depends on what I am looking for. The Malibu and this truck were new. The last two trucks were used. I got the WS6 with 18,000 miles on it 19 years ago.

Buying a car, new or used is no longer fun. Most recently tried to buy a used car, 2 - 4 years old with under 50K miles. Didn't find any worthwhile deals, just a lot of fights with overpriced dealerships and used car salespeople. Ended up buying new from a dealership as minimal savings didn't warrant purchasing used. Drive my vehicles till they are no longer worth maintaining. Then give them away to charity. Hope to get 15 years life on a used/new car. Time will tell with my current crop.

So at the end of the day, it depends. If a used car is worthwhile and fits the bill I will go used to minimize depreciation.

I got a kick out of one poster from the past who said he only bought new cars because he didn’t like the idea of some other guy farting in the drivers seat. Maybe he was right? :oops:
Few years ago someone said they'd only buy new because they were afraid someone might have used 0W20 in it.

In watching the way people drive very poorly these days, the overall lack of care or maintenance, and the general carelessness of people these days has me thinking new for my next replacement (Hopefully not anytime soon).

A good used car is going to be hard to find. Usually when I am shopping it’s because my current vehicle is fully broken and I need a car now, so being picky isn’t an option.

The only caveat is how bad new cars are. My mother’s 5600 mile Lincoln has been in the shop for two weeks over a cam phaser issue. She’s having to drive Dads Mustang in the interim (his toy) while they wait. But, that’s why I now drive Toyotas and Nissans. I don’t have the problems we have had with the big 3.

Back