Are you normally a new or used vehicle buyer?

I can be either based on what deals I get. I won't pay 90% of MSRP to get a car 2 year old, or triple for a new one if I can find a very good used car exactly the way I want it.

It is very hard to find something of a great deal used these days, everyone wants their used cars overpriced.

My first three cars in the '90s were used. Since then all new cars until my current one which was like new with only 5k miles on it at 6 years old. I do hold on to my cars for at least 150k miles. The exception was my grandpa's Rabbit Rabbit that he gifted me when I was a teen. I kept that car for 32 years before I sold it to an enthusiast. I've had a few backup cars/pickups that were used.

The Impala and the Accord in my sig were bought new. The Park Ave was an estate sale purchase. I'm keeping an eye out for another older Accord or similar sized older car in nice shape to add to the family fleet, since the Accord is our favourite (size and handling) car for bombing around the city we recently moved to. Hopefully I can find something decent if I'm patient, for 1/4 of the cost of new. It's not as easy as it used to be to buy a good used car at a good price.

Last edited:
Bought plenty of used cars over the years.

The last few have been new, that way I know the fluids and stuff were done to my liking.

Last I bought new was a 2018 Forester. Was looking at used ones with about 40,000 miles. For an extra $2000, I could buy brand new. It was a no brainer for me.

The last new vehicle I purchased was a 2011 Toyota Sienna, now passed on to the mother in law. It has had no issues except the dent I put on the sliding door.
I helped my parents buy a brand new 2014 stripper Grand Caravan. It has 36.7k today on the odo, needs a new clock spring and exterior rubber trim re-glued on.
I'm shopping for a replacement truck soon, diesel, and at least a 1 ton. Its a hard market to sift through the chaff.

From a financial standpoint buying new today makes very little sense. @macarose has written one or two essays on the topic about how reliability increased dramatically in the late 90s to early aughts, partially thanks to oil research development, bearing clearances and customer expectations.

never had a new car. always used.
'87 olds 98 - Inherited in fall '98 just shy of 100k mi. ( was grandpa's car)
'00 Sonata - bought used ($10k) Aug. 2001, 16k mi
'05 neon - Bought from brother (original owner, $4k) Feb, 2010. 54k mi
'09 Sable - Bought used ($10k) Jan 2014, 69,997 mi
'13 C-max - Bought used ($10k) March 2019, ~64k mi

I bought a lot more new cars when I was between the age of 18-29 and still lived at home with my parents. During that time I bought 6 brand new cars (88 Dodge Shadow ES Turbo, 93 Sunbird, 94 Grand Am GT, 95 Trans Am, 98 Firebird Formula, 00 Civic) The Shadow and the Formula were custom factory orders. But I didn't buy another new car until I was 47, that's when I factory ordered my 2018 Corvette. I had originally planned on buying that one used though, but the higher used prices up here ended up pushing me into a new one because there was only a slight difference in price. I was not seeing 2014-2017s on the market for under $55,000 here in the summer of 2017, and my factory order on my 2018 was $63,000 (I got a GM employee discount through a family member). That was an easy decision, plus I had always wanted to custom order a new Corvette to my specs anyway. The used market was way different here prior to that time period though. For instance, when I bought my used 98 Corvette in 2004, and my used 05 in 2013, I paid about half the cost of a new one at those times. With my last two Civics, I bought both of them when they were 5 years old and both ended up being about half of a new one. I drove my 06 Civic for ten more years and I will probably drive my current one at least that long if not longer.

I've never been able to afford a new car, so I just buy used (when I buy at all). I'm more of a just keep repairing it kind of guy.

I am a sucker for projects though, running or not.

I generally buy new because that’s what my dad did. He always said “I’d rather have my own used car than someone else’s.” In the last few years I’ve bought a couple of used ones and am looking for another. The current crop of new cars almost all have expensive mandatory features I don’t want to pay for. I goofed up and missed out on buying a base model 2024 Camry before they went all hybrid.

I’ve never been able to afford new, so I’ve always bought used. That said, hopefully in a few years I’ll be able to afford a new car. In the meantime, my Bolt was a crazy good deal and has battery warranty til 2031 so there’s nothing wrong with used cars.

I've found good value in used cars 1-2 years old with under 15k miles. Basically get a new car with a hefty discount and prior maintenance, for the most part, is a non issue. Some dealerships will want nearly new prices for these cars, so you have to shop around and be patient.

I've only ever bought two vehicles new, a 1999 Toyota Tacoma and a 2018 Subaru Forester. Everything else dating back to the 1980s I've bought used.

I went from vehicles that needed a rebuilt engines to vehicles that just needed cleanup and some engine, transmission repairs to now only brand new since I can afford to pay cash. I do keep my vehicles for ~ 125,000 miles running very well without any issues. ed

I buy new or nearly new. I don’t trust others to maintain vehicles properly. Most don’t think like us on this site.

New, bought 3 1998-2011.

Then used in 2016.

I get the concept of buying used. My used car was $65,600 list in 9/05, and I got it for $14,000 in 10/16. It has been problem free and I drive it daily. I think it was a purchase thst turned out favorably.

But I do think the next car will new and I know the list is over $90k. I’m not willing to pay list, and not willing to pay the add ons. So maybe we won’t be able to get it. I don’t see any on the lots so that’s even more power to the dealer. But I desire new and am ok with the price if it could be like 12 years ago where they sell below invoice (GM).

Anyone can appreciate a brand new vehicle. The kicker is spending the money for it is worth it or not.

Back