Cadillac DTS vs Lincoln Town Car

Hey all. I've had two Panther Platform cars and my most recent one just got totaled with only 90k on it. I've looked at half a dozen very low mileage Town Cars all across the country. I had a week off from work and drove about 3000 miles looking at some from Facebook marketplace. They were pretty tired and beat more or less... Ford's paint is pretty notorious on these cars in the later models for peeling off as well...

I love the "land yacht" American luxury cars like this but think I may move on from the panther platform. What about a later model DTS from 2006+? How is the reliability and what other advice may you have? Probably looking at ones sub $10000 and 70,000 miles more or less around me.

Thanks!

The devil you know is better than the devil you don't. There's got to be some old lady driven Town Car with 20k miles if you keep looking. Look in Florida, LOL.

The Caddy has way more tech, and way more opportunities for trouble. If you can swing it, yeah, try it. If you like the reliable, affordable experience you already had, take steps to repeat it.

If you can find a clean and well maintained DTS, I say go for it. General consensus seems to be they are solid.

i currently have an 03 deville. its same engine and tranny as dts. they're great.... comfort personified. Can hold high rpms for a long time without breaking a sweat. I'm getting ready to buy a new 2011 dts this year as already have 2 other vehicles more than old enough to buy beer. Just service the cooling system every other year and the headgasket issues shouldn't arise. Other thing to note....they are notorious oil leakers and if you wanna reaseal they gotta pulll the whole engine. That aside, I'm upgrading to one this year for my wife to drive.
Also drove a 07 crown vic for work. Dead reliable.....am getting town car next year for myself as my daughter will be getting her drivers license and my 03 Buick. I want a new daily driver too....so planning on an 2011 town car next year as well.
Done tons of research on both and have extensive experience with both drive trains. Can't go wrong either way.
Dts is gonna be cheaper than a town car..... they dont really feel like a land yacht though. More expensive to fix and a pain in the ass to work on.....but not much goes wrong as long as you really really baby that cooling system.
The panthers are more sought after and easier to fix. Less control than the front wheel of the the dts but its got that land yacht feel.
I look at it this way....it isn't as snazzy or techy as the Euro stuff or as reliable as the Japanese stuff but both are bigger,better looking, and more comfortable. Seen plenty examples of either one making it to 300k miles on original engine.

Hey all. I've had two Panther Platform cars and my most recent one just got totaled with only 90k on it. I've looked at half a dozen very low mileage Town Cars all across the country. I had a week off from work and drove about 3000 miles looking at some from Facebook marketplace. They were pretty tired and beat more or less... Ford's paint is pretty notorious on these cars in the later models for peeling off as well...

I love the "land yacht" American luxury cars like this but think I may move on from the panther platform. What about a later model DTS from 2006+? How is the reliability and what other advice may you have? Probably looking at ones sub $10000 and 70,000 miles more or less around me.

Thanks!
You will find the biggest concentration of Town cars in Florida. Very popular with the retired especially the golfers because of the trunk size. Myself, I would rather have a Town car versus the Cadillac.

Why not 05-11 Cadillac STS rear wheel drive. That should give you more engine options like V6 or the V8 Northstar.

Chose the Town Car Everytime. I sold my sister Town car at auction. It was 2005 with 12K mile and she had it serviced at local Ford dealer 2 times per year from new. Went for 13K at auction Garage kept all its life.

Did the CTS come with RWD and a V6? Seems like that would also make a nice mix of an economical and comfortable ride as well? Maybe not quite as much of a floater, but easy to live with?

I really liked the Lincoln LS, but the reliability of them was kinda rough. I think the chassis was Jag, but, if you got the V6, the driveline was ford. A very small number of them were available as a 5 speed manual. I drove one - and almost loved it. I think they were trying to compete with BMW. My friend sold it because he fatigued of replacing coil packs and window motors. If I had been at a place to buy it….

Did the CTS come with RWD and a V6? Seems like that would also make a nice mix of an economical and comfortable ride as well? Maybe not quite as much of a floater, but easy to live with?

I really liked the Lincoln LS, but the reliability of them was kinda rough. I think the chassis was Jag, but, if you got the V6, the driveline was ford. A very small number of them were available as a 5 speed manual. I drove one - and almost loved it. I think they were trying to compete with BMW. My friend sold it because he fatigued of replacing coil packs and window motors. If I had been at a place to buy it….
RWD V6 or V8
CTS = Catera Touring Sedan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadillac_CTS

I love the DTS and it, in my opinion, has it all over the Lincoln with features, power, FWD and handling etc. BUT - the Lincoln wins in reliablity and ease of repairs. Remember simple things in the DTS are not simple - it's tight in there. The starter is under the intake, the head gasket issues if you get an older one before the issue was fixed and other small things. I have owned one and service/repair several and have done 2 motors in them.

Just my views but even with the DTS "concerns" they are still a great car and everyone loves them -my pick would be the DTS. Whatever you finally decide will still be a solid choice -finding a good one that already doesn't have 26" ghetto wheels and such may be hard :ROFLMAO:

Thanks!
What about the Cadillac STS STS-V? Super comfy and the V model is relatively rare but quite the sleeper from numerous reviews. What about the Lincoln version or a Mercury Marauder?

I had a 2008 1SD, luxury. Great seats.
I also rode in a Lincoln Town car of that same year. The Cadillac ride was better controlled, especially the rear suspension.
If you can find a 1SE, that would be the hot setup. MRC, 292 hp, better (think 1999 STS) gearing.
Shocks were about a grand each though!

I'd definitely go with a Panther platform myself. Owned three of them, great cars. Definitely not as modern of a ride as a first gen CTS which is the first car I ever drove (family friend started teaching me to drive in it) but from what I remember that CTS burned almost as much oil as my aunt's 03 Corolla that burned a quart per gas tank towards the end.

Back