Are you normally a new or used vehicle buyer?

As a teenager and young adult, used with cash.

As an adult and parent, new with warranties and pretty much zero interest loans.

In 2024 - I’ll probably end up buying a low miles used truck with a loan (will play with numbers to minimize interest paid and maximize returns on cash I would have spent on the truck) to offset the obscene vehicle costs and higher interest rates.

I've only bought new since the early 90's. But would make an exception for a specific vehicle (car, motorcycle, RV) I wanted that's need made anymore.

New , that way you know its history . Like to break in as stated in owners manual . Then change out factory oil / filter around 1,500 miles .

In my younger years, I bought well used because thats all I could afford. Now, I normally buy new base models of a reliable manufacture( example Toyota, Honda) at end of year discount pricing. It takes some effort keeping a vehicle rust free here in the salt belt so I figure I have a better chance of doing so starting with a new car under only my care. I enjoy maintaining the best I can with frequent fluid changes, fluid film undercoating, washes, etc.

CPO for me, typically off lease, low miles, 4 year warranty.
That's my usual approach as well; I've bought 4 BMW and 1 Mercedes that were CPO cars. I have only bought new when I wanted a car that was relatively rare and not available used- that was the case with the Club Sport and the Mazdaspeed 3.The Club Sport was ordered and it took a wide-ranging dealer search to find an MS3 that was equipped as I wanted.
I know some wring their hands and fret about a prior owner's maintenance regimen, but with one exception 40 years ago I've never had an issue with a used car that could be laid at the feet of a prior owner. Depreciation is my friend and has allowed me to buy cars that I never could have afforded new, so I'll gladly take a chance with an entertaining used car as opposed to a new car that would bore me to tears.
Every time.

For me it’s a mix of either. Also depends on the deal.

Right now most used stuff is still selling for closer to new around here. So for a few grand more, new still makes more sense year.

My Trax and Equinox started as leases as I wanted to see how the turbos held up. They did well, so now they are almost paid off.

Actually looking for a few beater cars now…..

Used. New is a 30% drive off loss. Now, I’ve bought 3 cars new and lost money on all. I like private, one or two owners.
Depreciation has depreciated (see what I did there?) over the last 5 years though. 1-2 year old cars selling for 10% of new.

Used. I don't want new. I figure I save a bunch of money (and time actually) by buying something that's already had the kinks worked out. Would be interesting to own a vehicle from new just for testing, but can't justify the cost.

I bought a motorcycle new once.

For cars, I have been buying cheaper and cheaper cars (accounting for inflation) through the years. In 2000, I bought a three-year old Maxima with 60,000 miles. That has been the only car I made payments on. My most recent purchase was a 14-year-old Prius with 208k and peeling paint. But I think the NEXT car we get will be a nicer one.

Used. New is a 30% drive off loss. Now, I’ve bought 3 cars new and lost money on all. I like private, one or two owners.

Not these days it isn't. I paid $63,000 (Canadian dollars) for my 2018 Corvette new and to this day I could still get close to that amount for it if I sold it. The used market has changed a lot.

Back