Those with 150,000 miles or more, check in

789,546 miles in 14 years with oil changes every 3,000 miles. That's an oil change every 3 weeks or less!

Good Math! Yes every 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 weeks. Fortunately my boss approved of the 3000 mile OCI's. Originally I was only going to get reimbursed for fuel, but I explained that I change my oil myself, and that I could save the company a few $$. So he approved to pay for the oil and filters. Cool guy.

1993 Volvo 240 wagon, 201k miles, owned 6.5yrs, purchased w/68k miles
3-4K OCIs w/dino(Chevron/Havoline/Maxlife), Mann filters
Just put in Castrol Syntec 5W40(BC)last weekend. UOA to come.
burnout.gif

Don't know if Ive posted to this thread... Here it goes:

1994 Toyota Previa: 186K mi: first ~150-160k (have to check the records) dealer 10w-30 aqt 7500 mi OCIs, since then M1 10w-30 at ~10k ocis with excellent results.

1983 MB 300D: 228K mi: First 200K on varios top brand HDEOs, with OCIs at ~3000mi. Since then M1 T&SUV at ~4000 mi OCIs, and able to go further. Car has been smashed and is awaiting repair.

1996 MB E300D Diesel: 157K mi: First 142K, dealer HDEO changes (Pennzoil LL). Since then, M1 T&SUV at 7500mi OCIs. Going to 10k+ mi OCIs.

1994 Acura Integra: 163k mi: First 140K mi, dealer oil (76 lubricants) 5w-30, 3000mi OCIs. Next 20K, castrol GTX 5w-30 at 3000 mi OCIs. Since, M1 5w-30, OCI TBD.

Brother's 94 3000GT VR-4 has ~120k miles, run on M1 10w-30 for first 110K, 0w-40 since. Charging hard towards 150k.

None of the vehicles use ANY oil, and all run extremely well, getting above the EPA MPG figures, and averaging higher MPG (we log every tank in all cars) then when on dino, only by a small amount though. MPG is more consistent.

JMH

[ April 22, 2005, 01:20 PM: Message edited by: JHZR2 ]

quote:

Originally posted by Alan:

quote:

Originally posted by Jeepster_nut:
1991 Jeep Cherokee I-6. I use mobil dino 10w-30. I have racked up 789,546 miles to date. Traveling sales will do this to a vehicle! Original motor, burn about a quart every 3000 miles. But I change it @ 3000 miles anyway, have since new. Countless other repairs to my Jeep, but the motor is original.

Has the head gasket ever been replaced?
I have heard it's actually pretty rare for a Jeep I6 to have a blown head gasket.

O.K here goes:

Motor maintenance/repairs:
3 radiators
Serpentine belt 9 times
Complete tune up every 90,000
Air filter every 30,000
OCI every 3,000
Transfer/transmission/diffs every 60,000
15 front brake jobs (4 new sets of rotors)
Rear brakes done 7 times
Countless little things ( hoses, clamps, etc.
Front end rebuilt 3 times (ball joints, tie rods, etc.)
Universal joints 4 times (front and rear.
16 sets of tires (4).
Wheel bearings 3 times
Rear main seal twice (Jeep thing).
2 sets of fuel injectors
No motor work though.

Edit: forgot to add 6 water pumps and 2 power steering pumps.

1995 Ply Neon has....198K on it now.. I bought it new and gave it to my daughter 5 years ago.. Looks like **** , but still drives good, even with the same head gasket...
shocked.gif

When I had it, I ran M1 5W-30 in it for 156K miles. Now it gets Driver Clean 5W-30.

You guys aren't going to believe this one! My father-in-law owns his own business and drives a combination of highway and city miles. This gentleman isn't a believer in regular maintanence. However, the story I am about to tell is a true occurance and will cause many to shake their heads in disbelief with the miles that he put on these cars.

The first car, yes there is more than one, was a 1993 geo prism that racked up a total of 700,001 miles before it was retired. The engine was never replaced in this car and the standard oil change interval was 12,000 miles. My father in law reported that this car did go through oil, about a quart every 12,000 miles, and didn't leak oil.

The second was a 1997 geo prism that when sold had accumulated 517,000 miles. Once again this car was worked like a government mule with standard oil changes done anywhere between 10k and 12k miles. The engine was never replaced in this car and an interesting side fact is that after putting in a quart of oil in between oil changes he left the cap off, took a trip from Milwaukee, WI to Rockford, IL realized that the oil light was on, the car was making some engine noise. He proceded to fill the oil up and remembered to place the cap back on and then continued on his way. He figured this was at 386k miles. There were no futher problems with the engine. This car was sold to a neighborhood teenagers for $200 and is still in service today.

The thrid car, is a 1994 honda accord ex which was purchased from one of my co-workers in pristeen condition with 35k miles on it two years ago. This car currently has 309k miles on it, and once again abides by the standard 10k mile oil change interval.

Lastly his work truck, purchased new, is a 1992 gmc sonoma with a 2.8l v6. This truck has a very interesting history and remains very dear to this man. Ever since I met my wife and new this truck it went through a period of 3 years with NO oil changes. My father-in-law doesn't even know what the oil change intervals are on this truck, but swears it gets done every once in a while. This truck currently has 302k miles, and looks real pretty with that dull red finish.

Now what gets me is that the oil he uses he picks up for 69 cents at a local parts store and it is called Parts Master Oil. This oil is manufactured by Ashland Oil Company, it maybe Valvoline, and he uses either Fram filters or Parts Master filters.

This is a guy who will synically laugh and schoff and us because we charish our investments and want to see them last a long time. It is rather obvious that is operation and maintence costs are rather low due to the fact that he completely defies the laws of physics and cheats the odds of probability. I will chalk all of these up to him just being a lucky ******* .

Agent 48

quote:

Originally posted by agent48:
You guys aren't going to believe this one!
1993 geo prism that racked up a total of 700,001 miles before it was retired. The engine was never replaced in this car and the standard oil change interval was 12,000 miles. My father in law reported that this car did go through oil, about a quart every 12,000 miles, and didn't leak oil.

The second was a 1997 geo prism that when sold had accumulated 517,000 miles. The thrid car, is a 1994 honda accord ex which was purchased from one of my co-workers in pristeen condition with 35k miles on it two years ago. This car currently has 309k miles on it, and once again abides by the standard 10k mile oil change interval.

Lastly his work truck, purchased new, is a 1992 gmc sonoma with a 2.8l v6. This truck currently has 302k miles, and looks real pretty with that dull red finish.

Now what gets me is that the oil he uses he picks up for 69 cents at a local parts store and it is called Parts Master Oil.

how many times did he change the timing belt in the corolla..oops prizm..and the honda accord? at least he didn't change his oil every 3k miles. If he did, I would blame him personally on our oil dependency.
lol.gif
btw, can you do a UOA please
wink.gif

On the 93 prism he recalls having over 215k miles on the timing belt before it broke, which happend in Janesville, WI. That wasn't an interferance motor, so he got lucky on that one.

That negative experience gave him a slight change in attitude and the timeing belts were done around somewhere around the 100k to 125k mile mark.

With the Honda Accord, with much coercion on my part and much explaination of what an interferance engine is, he does that on a regular basis every 90k miles.

I'm working on having him foot the bill on the UOA on the Accord. Hard part is getting him to fork over the twenty bucks to do it.

Agent 48

quote:

Originally posted by Jeepster_nut:
1991 Jeep Cherokee I-6. I use mobil dino 10w-30. I have racked up 789,546 miles to date. Traveling sales will do this to a vehicle! Original motor, burn about a quart every 3000 miles. But I change it @ 3000 miles anyway, have since new. Countless other repairs to my Jeep, but the motor is original.

Has the head gasket ever been replaced?
I have heard it's actually pretty rare for a Jeep I6 to have a blown head gasket.

jeepster nut... NOW THAT is a testament to the 4.0 and a great jeep engine.

all those fancy schmancy DOHC engines would have needed a rebuild about 3 trips to the moon back

Jeepster Nut, with that much highway driving I would think you could greatly extend your drain intervals with no loss of protection.

1991 Buick Park Avenue, 3.8 Liter V6.

160k when I sold it. For the vast majority of the time I used Tech 2000 / SuperTech 10w30 with a Fram Extraguard Filter, and never had a bit of problem. OCI's between 3 and 5k miles.

quote:

Originally posted by C4Dave:
Jeepster Nut, with that much highway driving I would think you could greatly extend your drain intervals with no loss of protection.

Yes, I probably could, but I have since "mastered" the 10 minute oil change. I have a quick drain oil plug so I dont have to remove it, and I keep cases and cases of mobil 10w-30 in my garage with a few cases of Quest auto parts brand oil filters. I get reimbursed for the oil and filters by my boss anyhow.

Everyone at work is always asking how my Jeep is running and what my mileage is. Its cool. Maybe when I hit a million miles I can get a bonus?
grin.gif

My current daily driver is a 98 Ford Contour SVT that I have owned since new. It now has 205,000 miles on it and still runs as well or better than it did when it was new.

Up until about 190,000 miles I changed the oil every 3,000 miles, nearly all of that with Mobil 5W30 dino. The oil level on the dipstick never dropped between changes.

At about 190,000 I switched to Mobil 1 and 5,000 mile oil change intervals. I found that it consumed oil, but not until after 3,000 miles. The dipstick level is still full at 3,000 miles, but drop after that. I need to add a quart after 3,000 miles (about 3,500 to 4,000) before changing oil. Actually it may not be consuming any, as there is a slight oil leak from the front crank seal and the oil pan gasket.

I tried Valvoline high milage full synthetic and it is also dropping at the same pattern.

When I get around to it, I will repair the leaks. I'm still thinking of going back to the dino oil and 3,000 mile intervals. The newest Mobil 5000 looks really interesting.

My intention is to get to 300,000 miles and then see if I still like the car (I probably will) and determine if I like it well enough to provide any major things it may need by then. I'm sure it will need paint, but maybe not much more. I would almost like an excuse to put a 3.0 Duratec engine in it, or maybe even a 3.5 Duratec when Ford starts making them. But then, one of the reasons for not making any modifications on it yet is to retain it's dependability.

If you agressively maintain a car, you can make it last longer than you probably want to keep it.

The car before it was a 1971 Mercury Tracer LTS (that's the one with the high performance Mazda DOHC engine). It had 170,000 miles on it when it met it's untimely death at the side of the road against a guard rail. It also had the oil changed every 3,000 miles, mostly with Mobil 5W30 dino oil and also consumed no oil between changes.

The family van was finally retired at 260,00 miles when it was donated to charity. It was a 1984 Ford Econoline Club Wagon. It was in service with our family for 19 years. I finally got tired of it and tired of fixing it. The EGR spacer plate below the carb had blow out so that exhaust was mixing with intake all the time. It was a company vehicle that I took delivery on when it was new. When I left that company, I bought it from the lease company. I did most nearly all of the maintenance and repairs on it, including replacing the water pump three times and the timing chain once. I followed a 5,000 mile oil change interval with it because that is how it started life under the direction of the leasing company. Most of that was with Castrol dino. In it's younger days it usually had 20W50 since it had a lot of heavy use with a heavy load in hot weather. After I bought it and it had lighter use, I found it started better with 10W40 and still used Castrol. When I replaced the timing chain at 175,000 miles, I also replaces the leaking valve cover gaskets. I was shocked at the quantity of sludge. It may not have been Castrol's fault, but I have avoided their oil ever since. I know that everyone's oil has improved a lot since then, but a 5,000 mile oil change interval should not have been a problem.

my highest mileage is a 1997 Toyota Diesel pickup with almost 600,000 km (close to 400,000 miles). Runs all over the place with heavy loads of oil, mostly on dirt and mud roads. Has had Group I 20W-50 since new with changes every 6,000 to 8,000 km. Now it is on Group II 20W-50 as I have discontinuted all Group I. Consumption is less than 200 ml between changes.

1985 Mazda RX-7 GSLSE 13B fuel injected ROTARY.

195788 miles tonight, back-n-forth between various HDEO 15w-40 and now behaving nicely on Royal Purple 15w-40 and K&N oil filter. UOA shows no bad things (save for some shearing when using Mobil DC 20w-50 a while back), runs great and gets 20mpg city and 25mpg highway....and like 3mpg when autocrossed!

1995 Saturn DOHC, wife's car...150K miles or so. Consumption down to 1qt per 1K after TSB, various runs of HDEO 15w-40 and currently in a run of M1 10w-30 because it was free, about to change back to Delo for a short stint and then some flavor of Royal Purple until the erngine dies.....have a good line on RP for nearly free, so there.

-James W.
DaveTurnerMotorsport.com

1988 Lincoln Town Car, various oils from quick lube places, but mainly dealer oil changes, 198,000 miles so far, OCI unknown, 3-5k miles. Just got the car from my parents, going to run mobil 5000 with wix filters from here on out at 5k intervals.

2000 Mazda Protoge, various oils until 45k when I met my wife, then M1 5-30 and wix filters, 5k OCI, current miles 107k, just switched to M1 15,000, OCI will be 10k.

2002 F250 Diesel, OCI 5k, Fleetguard filters, Rotella T, thinking of switching to Delo 400. Current miles 77k

quote:

Originally posted by agent48:
Now what gets me is that the oil he uses he picks up for 69 cents at a local parts store and it is called Parts Master Oil.

What viscosity grades does/did he use?

1999 Chevy S-10 Blazer LS 4.3L (W) motor. Owned since new (7-miles on it) and now has 164,500 miles and still going strong.

This car has lived on 3K OCI using Quaker State, and Fram X2, then learning more on this forum and others, switched to Castrol GTX 5W-30 with Ac-Delco filters.

No knocking, valve train rattling, runs smooth as silk.

Just completed a 1500 hundred 26 hour round trip drive and ran perfectly...

Secret: Change your oil, when in doubt take it out...the max this car has gone on oil is 5K once....

Back