Thinking of getting a kei truck...

If it’s over 25 years old the state has no say in legality

Any vehicle can be imported plates and insured once it hits 25 years old PERIOD.

You need to validate it was imported after hitting 25 years of age though since that’s a thing for some reason

Correct.

My statement was tailored around the newer than 25 year-old trucks but there are still state laws concerning on-road use

Last edited:
I see them from time to time here in Omaha. I'm not sure how they go about registering them and what the laws are but they're pretty cool little trucks.

The Suzuki super carry and it’s Indian analogues the Tata Ace, Leyland (++ Nissan collab) Dost, Mahindra Jeeto are incredibly popular as light goods movers in India, mostly with greedy boards installed and strengthened leaf springs for gross overloading. Those things still manage to chug along, somewhat to my surprise,

This is the Dost, manufactured less than a couple of hundred miles from where I am.

They are totally impractical to share the roads in America. Unless you have a death wish....Any motorcycle accident here is almost always fatal. These wouldn't be any different.
Like a Smart Car.

Driven my Smart from DC to FL and back on I95 a few times no problem. Cruise at 75-80 mph. And that's the diesel.
This is the vehicle that get less mileage (gas version) than a Corolla. The reviewers could find absolutely no reason to buy one other than being ultra small for city parking. Used they can be had dirt cheap-and the diesel probably even cheaper because who wants one of those?

You bought it used and cheap? Right?

Last edited:
These are cute little things and can be picked up cheap.
My main concerns would be parts availability, ability to keep up with traffic, durability and crashworthiness.
We've had small engined vehicles offered for US sale in the past.
Remember the 600cc Hondas that came before the first Civic?
How about the Subaru 360 imported by Malcom Bricklin?
Then there were the Cushman three wheel micro vans the post office used to use.

Get the Dihatsu over the Honda. The bed will easily carry a heaping full load of Oak firewood with no problem.

Put some ATV tires on it and it is unstoppable.

Back