Thinking it would be good to not warm up before oil change.

OK, 2018 Panigale V4S. I'm one of those oil freaks, but I have never had bike over heat, seize, get lower hp on a dyno after years etc. So my amputation had me on a little break then the weather came. Bike has been sitting for a month at least. I feel like warming it up is just gonna flush all the particals around the engine again. Why not just drop the oil as it sits. Its been draining to the pan this whole time and The oil pan dont have much of a bottom. Am I missing something? And I'll still let it sit all night. What's your thoughts?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231029_133405_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20231029_133405_Google.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 60
Last edited by a moderator:
A few previous threads on this popular topic:

Well, if you believe that there are "particals" circulating in the engine, then the thing to do is to warm it up and get them suspended in the oil. So that when you drain the oil, they will be removed because they are in suspension in the oil.

By now, those particles are all in the bottom of the sump, where they will stay when you drain the oil.

So, are there, in fact particles in the engine?

Well, if you believe that there are "particals" circulating in the engine, then the thing to do is to warm it up and get them suspended in the oil. So that when you drain the oil, they will be removed because they are in suspension in the oil.

By now, those particles are all in the bottom of the sump, where they will stay when you drain the oil.

Curious... Wouldn't the particles be washed out by the oil flowing out the drain? Always wondered.
Maybe some enterprising young scientist can run some experiments?

If I am pulling the plug, I prefer cooler because the service is easier on a cooler engine. Now the MityVac hates cool oil.

Curious... Wouldn't the particles be washed out by the oil flowing out the drain? Always wondered.
Maybe some enterprising young scientist can run some experiments?

If I am pulling the plug, I prefer cooler because the service is easier on a cooler engine. Now the MityVac hates cool oil.
Not necessarily. Depends on the location of the plug. Not everything in the bottom of every pan gets drained.

I don't know that I've intentionally heated up any engine to drain it, but I do recall at least having it cool enough to not burn my hand. I don't think I'd want to wait for molasses to drain out so depending on how cold it is where you are I'd be inclined to let it run for a few minutes for that.

A few previous threads on this popular topic:

Wow… who knew that the search function on Xenforo actually worked?

If you change the filter when it's cold then not much oil spills out, at least on my Hyundais.

I thought that, among all the other things I have learned here on BITOG, one of them is that among the additives in modern motor oils some of them have the specific function of keeping "particles" in suspension. The function of these additives is not so much to keep particles off the bottom of the crankcase, but rather to somewhat encapsulate the "particles", so they don't come in contact with the metal surfaces. If this is true, it shouldn't be needed to warm up an engine before oil change.

If it is not true, I've often wondered, which is worse? Draining a cold engine and risking "particles", setting in the bottom of the crankcase, not getting flushed out with the drained oil. Or, getting all those "particles" well distributed in warm oil, but now splattered all over and sticking to, all the interior surfaces of the crankcase.

I've drained hot, warm, and cold. IMHO, the only disadvantage to cold is the slow drain time. If that doesn't bother you, go for it.

@kschachn, I'm shocked that your search turned up only 14 previous discussions here on BITOG, on this subject. Are you sure you got your search criteria set right? :unsure:🤭 ;)

IIRC, the last discussion on this subject was only a few weeks ago.

I don't know that I've intentionally heated up any engine to drain it, but I do recall at least having it cool enough to not burn my hand. I don't think I'd want to wait for molasses to drain out so depending on how cold it is where you are I'd be inclined to let it run for a few minutes for that.
I hated that on cars when I worked at Sears. Some would come in hotter than a 2 dollar pistol, and trying to not get skin cooked off pulling filters than were near the exhaust.

We even had asbestos type sleeves to put on our arms but that was like trying to reach in with 2x4s wrapped around.

This saga goes on and on - I have poured a quart through with the drain plug out many times - and it’s always clean as bottled regardless of hot, warm, or cold …

I've always thought that you'd get the maximum amount of whatever crud there might be draining hot so that's what I've always done. My preferred method has been draining the oil immediately after the car is in the driveway,
It should be noted that plenty of residual oil will remain in the engine and contaminants along with it.
We aren't so much changing the oil as we are replacing most of it.

I say hot is best because I tried changing the oil once in my Civic that I didn't let get warm hot because I wanted to change the oil pan gasket but instead rounded the drain plug and had to make a special trip to Sears to get a bolt out extractor set which wasn't too costly just more of a pain.

Really I can see both thoughts on it, if the oil is cold then everything should be down into the pan ready to come out but if you let it warm up then the oil is all over inside the motor and when you remove the drain plug it takes awhile for everything to drip back down from the upper part of the motor, what's in the pan comes out fast but the rest of it just drips and drips for awhile. When changing the oil in my car I've gotten into the habit of putting the plug back in when it's trickling out and then replacing the oil filter and when that's done I remove the plug again and drain out the extra bit at the end. I use ramps so it's kinda tight in there with the drain pan as it is.

Back