warming oil before an oil change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else wing the pee out of their car/truck before taking it in for an oil change?

His dropped the work truck off for a change and wrung the holy heck out of it on the way there, you know, to warm the oil up:)

Problem is, when you have someone else doing it, it might have time to cool. I make sure it has been driven long enough to be up to temp, and have the oil draining within a minute of shutdown. It is the only way to be sure.

But I do not "Wing the pee" out of it....Normal operating temp, and circulating is all that is necessary. Spinning it faster doesn't help, AFAIK.

Last edited:
No.

I do my oil changes at my Mom's place (level driveway and no HOA to get bent out of shape) so after the drive there, I let the vehicle sit for a while. I start the vehicle, line it up to where I'm going to put the ramps and get everything all set up for the change, and that's usually enough time to bring the oil back to toasty without needing asbestos gloves to handle the filter.

Originally Posted By: meborder
Anyone else wing the pee out of their car/truck before taking it in for an oil change?

His dropped the work truck off for a change and wrung the holy heck out of it on the way there, you know, to warm the oil up:)

No. If I'm going to change it the same day, I drive it to full operating temp, put it on the ramps, and let it cool for a while then drain. If I decide to change it on short notice and don't have time to warm it up, I put it on jackstands without starting it and give the cold oil about an hour to drain.

In my mind, the critical thing is that the last shutdown before the change be from full operating temp. The only thing I avoid is starting a cold engine briefly (say to drive it on ramps) and then doing a change, because in that case cold, thick oil is spread all over the engine and would take forever to drain completely.

i try to let it drain for a looooooooong time.

if i time it right, i drain and replace filter half hr later,then let the oil drip over night.

the boats got it good... i just push the drain hose out the plug hole and drain it when i get home... they set for days. if i wait a while i get all 6/7 qts out of the volvo, and it takes 5 per change

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: meborder

No. If I'm going to change it the same day, I drive it to full operating temp, put it on the ramps, and let it cool for a while then drain. If I decide to change it on short notice and don't have time to warm it up, I put it on jackstands without starting it and give the cold oil about an hour to drain.

In my mind, the critical thing is that the last shutdown before the change be from full operating temp. The only thing I avoid is starting a cold engine briefly (say to drive it on ramps) and then doing a change, because in that case cold, thick oil is spread all over the engine and would take forever to drain completely.

What's critical in an oil change is that you screw the drain plug back on snugly. And install the new filter correctly, if you're using one. Everything else is inconsequential.

Originally Posted By: bigt61

What's critical in an oil change is that you screw the drain plug back on snugly. And install the new filter correctly, if you're using one. Everything else is inconsequential.

I agree. I change whenever is convenient. The amount of oil that stays in the engine when cold is minimal especially since most people are using pretty lightweight oils now.

bigt61 nailed it. Don't screw it up or hurt yourself. I stopped getting radical about getting every last drop of oil drained, when I noticed the oil light stayed on for what seemed to be an age.
grin2.gif

The issue is making sure you get anything that settled to the bottom of the oil pan out with the old oil. Rather than having it drain fast. Warm is enough.

How many people (myself included) have dropped the drain plug in a drain pan of hot oil. Then try and fish it out with a wrench.

Now Fumoto valve and a drain pan with cover and screen so it will not happen.

Drain plugs are so 20th century. Get a fumoto valve.

I drain the oil warm, let it go until no more comes out. It takes a few minutes. Then I pour in an ounce or so and when it starts coming out I know I'm done.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

No. If I'm going to change it the same day, I drive it to full operating temp, put it on the ramps, and let it cool for a while then drain...

Pretty much what I do...

Drive it on the ramps, drain, change the filter, and fill.

Anything more is OCD.

But I always have my lucky rabbit's foot in my pocket and you can't let any of the new oil bottles touch the ground, except the black squares are okay.

I like to pull the plug when it's as hot as possible. I wear gloves when I do an oil change so burning myself hasn't been an issue.

I drive my vehicle for about 20 mins before changing the oil. I let it sit for about 5 mins before pulling the plug and filter.

I worked in the oil change business for ~7 years so I know how to be careful with hot oil and filters.

Originally Posted By: horse123

Drain plugs are so 20th century. Get a fumoto valve.

I thought about getting one, but the probability of a traditional oil drain plug being accidentally taken out is virtually zero. A Fumoto can get opened accidentally.

With this being said, if I had a car with skid plates(like a BMW where you open the little flap to get to the drain plug), I would get one.

My car just has a plastic undertray with the drain valve exposed. No issues after about 2 years so far.

I would never put one on any vehicle I take off road unless there was some sort of cage to block the valve from rocks and [censored].

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back