Thinking Im going to buy this '91 Vic

Status
Not open for further replies.
While out tooling around, I saw a White '91 LX in the WalMart parking lot with a For Sale sign on it for 800 smacks.. Didnt look too bad on the outside. The passenger clear corner is cracked. So close to a good set. (Clear corner/turn signal lenses are a '91 only thing and finding an intact set is like trying to find a needle in a haystack) Took a look under it and found it had no exhaust. It was torched off under the rear seat area (After the Y-pipe; Why?) The rear shocks were aftermarket and leaking. 2.73 gears in the diff which was seeping. Engine and trans were coated in oil. It looked to me like much of it may have been from the drain plug as it was clean around it. Tires had 50-60% tread and were from '10.
I found it was unlocked so I helped myself. "58k" miles on the odo. Carpet needs help, but the seats were not as bad. Blue interior. Ignition switch was messed up.
I popped the hood and took a look around. Oil was decent looking, though it had some white crud on the bottom. Closer inspection revealed condensation at the top of the dipstick tube which was getting picked up by the dipstick. I checked the TV bushing and while it was plastic it was intact and in good condition. I checked the coolant and it is in dire need of a change. It was about 6-8" below the fill neck and nasty brown crud. Recent reman alternator. Recent distributor cap. Wires were not as recent but had been replaced at some point nonetheless. I think it had a water pump put on it some time too.
Battery hold down was MIA so the battery is just floating around. Transmission fluid was ok but needed changed.
91Vic1.jpg

91Vic2.jpg

91Vic3.jpg

91Vic4.jpg

91Vic5.jpg

91Vic6.jpg

91Vic7.jpg

If it is still there Saturday Ill see about contacting the owner.

i love 5.0 engines. smooth and reliable. offer a few hundred under 800, they will probably take it.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
i love 5.0 engines. smooth and reliable. offer a few hundred under 800, they will probably take it.

Yeah, I was thinking about offering 600 or 700 cash now.

So, because it had a "For Sale" sign in it and it was unlocked, you decided it was OK to just go ahead and look under the hood?

Do you also just walk into houses that have a For Sale sign in the front yard, when the door just happens to be unlocked?

I think that is an incredible lack of good judgement. That's not your car, keep your hands off of it... for sale sign and unlocked or not.

If that had been my car, and caught you doing that, I would have called the police.

What if the owner had walked up as you were performing your impromptu inspection under the hood and claimed something was missing from inside the car. With the hood up, you'd obviously been inside of the car.

Wow. A better idea would have been to at least call the phone number on the sign and *ASK* first, before helping yourself.

My cousin scrapped one of these a few years ago for like $400 at the recycling center. Heavy car, his car trailer and winch was straining to get it on the trailer.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
So, because it had a "For Sale" sign in it and it was unlocked, you decided it was OK to just go ahead and look under the hood?

IDK it's kind of customary for beaters around here. Instead of writing details like mileage or engine size on the for sale sign lazy sellers just leave it unlocked.

I could understand it being taboo elsewhere.

Do you also walk into houses that have a For Sale sign in the front yard, when the door just happens to be unlocked?

I think that is an incredible lack of good judgement. That's not your car, keep your hands off of it... for sale sign and unlocked or not.

If that had been my car, and caught you doing that, I would have called the police.

What if the owner had walked up as you were performing your impromptu inspection under the hood and claimed something was missing from inside the car. With the hood up, you'd obviously been inside of the car.

Wow. A better idea would have been to at least call the phone number on the sign and *ASK* first, before helping yourself.

Im not going to call someone at 3am. Its not your car either so go somewhere else.

A local car dealership in NY used to leave ALL new and used cars unlocked. During the day, they even had keys in the cars.

Some places in this country are still friendly and trusting. -And I find that the vast majority of people who show trust/respect receive trust/respect...

Do you also just walk into houses that have a For Sale sign in the front yard, when the door just happens to be unlocked?

Seriously? Around here this is fairly common practice. Few people will buy something they can't look at, and most sellers don't want to waste their time with every single person who wants to look inside and under the hood.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
IDK it's kind of customary for beaters around here. Instead of writing details like mileage or engine size on the for sale sign lazy sellers just leave it unlocked.

That's exactly how it is here, in my experience.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws

Do you also walk into houses that have a For Sale sign in the front yard, when the door just happens to be unlocked?

Im not going to call someone at 3am. Its not your car either so go somewhere else.

At 3am no less... Wow. It just keeps getting worse.

And by the way, I have no plans on going "somewhere else".

Originally Posted By: Nick R

Seriously? Around here this is fairly common practice. Few people will buy something they can't look at, and most sellers don't want to waste their time with every single person who wants to look inside and under the hood.

Yeah, seriously Nick.

Whatever happened to "If it's not yours, keep your hands off of it?" My Dad was a policeman, and that's how I was raised.

Apparently, that kind of courtesy seems to be missing anymore.

Do we just walk into unlocked houses with a For Sale sign in the front yard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back