Thinking Im going to buy this '91 Vic

Status
Not open for further replies.
The way I want to do the exhaust, it will probably cost me about that much to get it going. Ill post an ad locally for factory Fox body manifolds. Those shouldn't cost me much. Go to a summmit catless 2.5" H-pipe (for a Fox), $130, then have it connected to mufflers (I havent picked which ones, yet. Need some thing cheap, and relatively quiet) then connect that to 2.5" Impala SS tailpipes and have it extended out and put turn downs on it.

Then it needs shocks. Motorcraft shocks are on close out at RA for $10-13/shock. OR, KYB GR-2s are only $34/shock.

Parking light is okay. It just has a small crack in it; nothing worth fretting over. It is still in one piece.

Brakes, I have no idea. If I get it, that will be one of the first things I check.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Explain, in detail, EXACTLY why it would cost $800/$1000 in parts to get it to pass inspection. Be specific.

For starters, an exhaust system and battery hold down would be nice. The parking light is cracked, and this is before checking the steering, suspension and brakes.

OK, so that's maybe $200, total, probably less. (The light looks fine to me.)

was this a car in the lot just sitting around or had someone driven it to store, went inside, and was coming back out with groceries? we see cars around here in public places clearly left out for inspection. OTH I wouldn't want someones wife to show up with goodies and find me in car.

Its in an area I call the 'WalMart Used Car Lot' next to about 6 other vehicles with For Sale signs. This particular WalMart was closed at the time I visited.

At a local Dodge dealer that sells big trucks for business me & my fil were tooling around the lot late one weekend evening.

We happen upon a dodge ram 2500 w/ a plow on it. We check if the door is unlocked(they never are), yup opens right up and what do we find but the keys in the ignition. This is after hours so there is a security guard patrolling the lot. He never hassles anybody just there to observe.

We take the keys out and call the guard over and hand them to him explaining we found them. He thanks us because if someone stole the truck we would have got the backlash for it. Most likely some enthusiastic sales person didn't put them in the lock box on the window after a showing.

Not every person is a thieving crook and based on the all the annoying calls I got selling certain cars over my life I should leave them unlocked as well. I am talking calls asking me for info that is already written on the sign and low balling me right away on the price only 10 secs into the call.

Nice! Speaking of inspections, in Idaho we don't have them, and ... we're still alive! Imagine that. People are self-motivated to drive safe cars. Government red-tape not necessary.

I would buy it in a heartbeat, but I already have seven cars...

Originally Posted By: crw
Nice! Speaking of inspections, in Idaho we don't have them, and ... we're still alive! Imagine that. People are self-motivated to drive safe cars. Government red-tape not necessary.

It's not about safety in NY ... its' about emissions.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Its in an area I call the 'WalMart Used Car Lot' next to about 6 other vehicles with For Sale signs. This particular WalMart was closed at the time I visited.

Soooo, did you buy it?

Not yet. My work sechedule isnt conductive to business during the week. I did contact the owner and he can meet up with me on Saturday.

Last edited:
I would want to hear it run and drive it a couple of miles before I made up my mind. But if it runs and drives and has no major issues, (head gasket, bad tranny), I'd buy it and drive it like I stole it.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Originally Posted By: crw

It's not about safety in NY ... its' about emissions.

No. It is about MONEY!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back