Thinking about switching from Amsoil to Pennzoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I first got my 2005 s2000 I switch to Amsoil SS 10w-30. This was the SS before the recent reformulation (when XL was still only rated for 10000miles or 1 year)
Here is one random check on Blackstones. This was my first ever analysis of any oil, am new to the whole process. I understand I need to do it regularly to check trends. I lost no oil on the dip stick on the SS 10w-30.
[Linked Image]

Currently on my 2005 S2000 I have the new Boosted Amsoil XL 10w-30 in the engine. I have already gone 1 year on it and have sent a sample to Oil analyzer to see what it looks like. I did notice the dip stick lost about half of the oil. I do once a year oil changes because I come under 2500 miles and it's my once a week use/ HPDE car. I have already done the oil change and am on my 2nd year with Amsoil XL boosted. Awaiting results now from Oil analyzers.

Since I don't rack up enough miles and this car is used for HPDE I want to find an oil I can change once a year as being the only determinant. We don't get much HPDE where I am located, maybe 4 max a year.

Been reading and comparing prices of the new reformulated Amsoil vs Pennzoil.

I know people rave about Pennzoil Platinum Ultra. The Pennzoil Ultra 10w-30 is actually pretty cheap to buy online ($27 from walmart online). However limited info of specs online, I can't really compare it with say the Platinum or Amsoil. In another thread there seems to be indication that the Pennzoil Platinum is better in noack thank the Ultra. So I am confused if Ultra really is better at the current formulation. Could use advice on this.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4718980/Pennzoil_Platinum_and_Ultra_Pl

I also have a Honda that takes 0w-20 and a VW that is currently on M1 Euro 0w-40. I'm thinking of switching all to Pennzoil. For the VW likely 0w-40.
(0w-40 euro ($28), 5w-40($43) )

Last edited:
I use both oils, and I am happy with both. The Amsoil Signature line is their most robust oil for gas engines. PUP seems to be the most robust in that product line for gas engines. I use the term robust a bit loosely: best ? Highest Price ? HIghest Quality ? If you are running the S2000 on the track, then I would say your numbers are fine. If it were mine, I would run the Amsoil SS rather than the XL.

Originally Posted by rubberchicken
I use both oils, and I am happy with both. The Amsoil Signature line is their most robust oil for gas engines. PUP seems to be the most robust in that product line for gas engines. I use the term robust a bit loosely: best ? Highest Price ? HIghest Quality ? If you are running the S2000 on the track, then I would say your numbers are fine. If it were mine, I would run the Amsoil SS rather than the XL.

Keep in mind there is a margin of error on these tests and there are standard deviations for average wear levels. You can ask BSL to calculate the standard deviations for your type of engine, but if you are running outside the normal use, as on a track occasionally you will be a bit higher regardless. The viscosity I don't believe is out of spec. The "should be" values fluctuate based on the same grade of oil and are not absolute. I would do VOA analysis and use that as a reference. 10% drop in viscosity is notable, and when you get to 20%, time to change.

UOAs should not be used to determine performance of an oil over another equally comparable oil due to many different variables and conditions. If viscosity shears significantly, or wear metals skyrocket, it likely a mechanical or fuel problem, and not likely a lube problem if the oil is properly selected for the application. I would recommend using Polaris Labs. They provide more tests for less costs, and do actual Fuel contamination testing.

They are both great oils but if your engine is consuming a bit over 1 oil change interval and you aren't doing that many miles I would switch to Pennzoil or some other shelf oil.

If you have started consuming a bit it may not be worth the extra cost for Amsoil at such short intervals. If NOACK is important 10/30 atm is about as good as it gets. If I were running it on the track I would jump up to a 5/40 or 0/40 and your consumption may be less as well. Just have to experiment a bit.

10/30 ATM NOACK 4.1 HTHS 3.11
10/30 XLT NOACK 4.8 HTHS 3.3

Heck i'd run the XL and cheaper to boot if you are stuck on Amsoil if not PP will do the trick to. Curious to see your results on the XL.

If you are inclined to believe the 540Rat blog, Quaker State Ultimate Durability outperforms Pennzoil.
I think you are fine no matter what way, AMSOIL, PUP (or QSUD, RL, RP, etc.) as long as analyzing and changing accordingly.

Originally Posted by beanoil

If you are inclined to believe the 540Rat blog, Quaker State Ultimate Durability outperforms Pennzoil.
I think you are fine no matter what way, AMSOIL, PUP (or QSUD, RL, RP, etc.) as long as analyzing and changing accordingly.

No & No Believer
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4339959/1

Amsoil XL boosted 10w30 2237 miles up to 2-3 HPDE per year
[Linked Image]

Amsoil Signature Series 10w30 (2017 version) 2337 miles up to 4 HPDE per year
[Linked Image]

Funny how I came to about the same mileage as I don't pay attention to the miles but change by the 1 year mark

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back