Thinking about buying a beater car

But then all you are doing is the work of saving enjoyment of the car for the next guy, punishing yourself with a beater.

That doesn't seem right.
I've raved about my beater before..... It's roomy, reliable, comfortable, has a good stereo, etc. It's not punishment. And when I hear the rock salt getting sprayed up in the wheelwells I can just laugh at it.

But then all you are doing is the work of saving enjoyment of the car for the next guy, punishing yourself with a beater.

That doesn't seem right.
You can enjoy a vehicle while preserving it. My current 1994 Explorer doesn't get driven a lot, but does get driven a couple times a week, and I love driving it. I do want to keep it kind of original and extend its life though, so the 1997 with 240k on it is the daily. And it's not punishment either, not a single rip in the seats, great stereo, AC, etc. But as I mentioned it's a know what you are getting into thing. For me it's not about economics, it's that I really like old Explorers and that's what I want to drive despite the terrible gas mileage. I sold my real beater Ranger and already have the itch for a "new" one...I can tell you it's either going to be a 2 door Explorer or gas Excursion because I am an idiot.

You can enjoy a vehicle while preserving it. My current 1994 Explorer doesn't get driven a lot, but does get driven a couple times a week, and I love driving it. I do want to keep it kind of original and extend its life though, so the 1997 with 240k on it is the daily. And it's not punishment either, not a single rip in the seats, great stereo, AC, etc. But as I mentioned it's a know what you are getting into thing. For me it's not about economics, it's that I really like old Explorers and that's what I want to drive despite the terrible gas mileage. I sold my real beater Ranger and already have the itch for a "new" one...I can tell you it's either going to be a 2 door Explorer or gas Excursion because I am an idiot.
I still don't understand the advantage.

When I love a car, I want to drive it every day. Anything less is a punishment, call it sacrifice made. Who gains? The next owner who will get to drive it. Not you.

I suppose this will be an eternal debate. I'm on the other side. If I really like my car, I want to drive it every chance I get. If I still love it after driving it every day, I buy another one if it needs replaced. Everything is replaceable.

I guess I don't get so attached to my "things" that I feel the need to keep them around forever. I'd rather use my things to gain experiences.

When I love a car, I want to drive it every day. Anything less is a punishment, call it sacrifice made. Who gains? The next owner who will get to drive it. Not you.

I suppose this will be an eternal debate. I'm on the other side. If I really like my car, I want to drive it every chance I get. If I still love it after driving it every day, I buy another one if it needs replaced. Everything is replaceable.

I guess I don't get so attached to my "things" that I feel the need to keep them around forever. I'd rather use my things to gain experiences.
For me, it isn't about putting miles on it. It's the risk of a collision. My '96 Cherokee means the world to me, it was my grandpa's and I'll own it forever. I drive it once or twice a month, partially because if someone were to run a red light or something, it's irreplaceable. But when I do drive it I take it out to the desert out of town and do some serious off-roading in it. It gets some use.

I know for @01rangerxl he had a nice Explorer that was totaled.

I mean the amount of money I've put in my Eddie Bauer is probably less than a year of full coverage insurance on a new Explorer, and I don't want a new Explorer, I want the old one. Punishment is bleeding money for something you don't really want.

Back