Thinking about buying a beater car

The best beaters are cosmetically challenged (dents, dings, bad paint, etc.) but are good runners. I've owned a couple, my last one was a 1998 accord. I don't know how to describe it but there's something satisfying it. I didn't care where I parked, wasn't worried about scratches or dents and people tend to park away from your car.

The best beaters are cosmetically challenged (dents, dings, bad paint, etc.) but are good runners. I've owned a couple, my last one was a 1998 accord. I don't know how to describe it but there's something satisfying it. I didn't care where I parked, wasn't worried about scratches or dents and people tend to park away from your car.
There also something satisfying about heated and cooled leather seats......trust me!

I tried this 👀
What started as a $1500 experiment? eventually turned into a $3750 "I was so preoccupied with whether I could, I didn't stop to think if I should?
I mean, I still have it, and it's a turn key daily runner, but my long term objectives were unclear

Establish how much of a project it'll be vs expected/needed utility first

Shel,

I suspect you don't want a beater car. I speculate parking is either a high cost or high hassle in much of the Bay area. You want something productive to do that provides the satisfaction of completing a job.

The psychotherapist in me (I am not- my Wife is one though), tells me you want a challenge. You don't want to sit back at watch reruns of Sanford and Son and the like all day and night. You want to be "in the ring", doing something. I speculate that if you had another project, the beater car would not be so high up on the menu.

Here is a crazy alternative to buying a beater. I bet many high school males in the Bay area would love to have you mentor them on how to live a full life. I suspect a lot are in single family homes and have no direction. Talking with you might be one of the best things that may ever happen to them, and the positive benefits will be happening well after you and I have moved on from this earth.

For that kind of money it’s not even worth dealing with the effort. It’ll break down half way through winter or you end up dumping good money into it to make it reliable enough to daily. I suppose if your schedule allows for down time it’s possible to just hope it’ll last winter and ride it as is. But as someone with a 9-5 I cannot afford to be late.

If you’re gonna spend the money just get something that’s a little newer so it’ll actually last a bit. Doesn’t need to be mint just cheaper that still has decent life left in it.

I'm not driving the Camry very much, and when I do it's mostly short (less than 3 miles) trips.

That's what you need most:
mens-sneakers-for-football-flat-isolated.jpg

That said, get a less boring car and you'll like to take enduring trips far more often I bet.

"And it could be something fun to drive, like Miata, GTI, etc."
^^That is the way to do it. I like having an extra vehicle. You have to enjoy the car, or it will just be a headache.

From the news reports on San Francisco, that **** box corolla might be perfect. Put a gun turret on the top and lead the charge. I heard a rumor there was a shortage of automotive glass over there from all the smash and grabs. They portray it as a hellscape.

^^That is the way to do it. I like having an extra vehicle. You have to enjoy the car, or it will just be a headache.

From the news reports on San Francisco, that **** box corolla might be perfect. Put a gun turret on the top and lead the charge. I heard a rumor there was a shortage of automotive glass over there from all the smash and grabs. They portray it as a hellscape.
I visited the area a few months ago. Its not any where near as bad as the media portrays it. Turn off faux news.

That is embarrassing.
I'd drive that in a heartbeat; practical, reliable. Not spending extra money so people can think good of me. It doesn't work for BMW drivers @ 100 times the cost. (j/k)

My friend who teaches college has a 2006 Vibe with peeling and chipped paint. Wears it like a badge of honor

I'd drive that in a heartbeat; practical, reliable. Not spending extra money so people can think good of me. It doesn't work for BMW drivers @ 100 times the cost. (j/k)

My friend who teaches college has a 2006 Vibe with peeling and chipped paint. Wears it like a badge of honor
I dunno, a missing seat is a big turnoff for me. That said, my daily looks worse. I didn’t even try to get matching paint to fix rock chips.

Does it have a passenger seat?

Reactions: CKN
I would keep driving my 11 year old Camry. Stay up on the maintenance. An old beater is fine for non mission critical transport or if you can use public transport or a second vehicle.

Paco

We have an older Mazda 5 in the family and it acts kind of like our beater. I have a nice full size truck and so I use the thing for short trips dropping the kids off to school, for urban destinations, or for when parking is going to be a problem. It is a manual, so I‘m using it to teach my kids how to drive; and we also have projects we’ll do so I can actually have grown kids that know how to do more than put gas in it. My older son will likely be driving it to HS next year and maybe my younger if it doesn’t get wrecked.

A spare affordable car for bad weather, errands, or emergencies is legit. Mine has saved me a number of times when my primary isn't available or I don't want to use it. Dead battery, flat tire, or any number of things where you don't have time/ability to fix it on the spot. You have a 2nd car to get in and go!

A spare car can be very affordable. A few thousand dollars up front, cheap tags, and storage insurance on whatever vehicles are not being driven. I doubt my inexpensive extra car costs more than a couple hundred dollars annually. The utility value far exceeds the economic costs, especially if it's a different "type" of vehicle for versatility. Car+Truck, or Car+SUV, ideally something with AWD or 4x4.

If you can turn a wrench, fix stuff or identify it and get it to the shop proactively, it's not that expensive.

Back