Thinking about buying a beater car

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
I'm not driving the Camry very much, and when I do it's mostly short (less than 3 miles) trips. I like the car and would like to keep it for a long time, so I'm thinking that a beater would be a good way to extend the Camry's longevity. Short tripping on our poorly-maintained roads can't be a good thing.

So, if the price were low enough (under 1k or so) do you think this might be a good idea? What do you look for in a beater? I've never owned one, although I have owned cheap cars.

(Never mind, I've been convinced not to do this)

Last edited:
Actually, cars will break even if you are not driving it.
So, in your effort not driving the Camry may cause it to break down due to lack of running.

I had a 93 Lexus ES300, in my wisdom, we drove it sparingly since it was a second car.
When I tried to sell it after owning it for about 6 years, a lot of leaks (oil and leaky radiator) and the car run but smoking.
I had to drive hard for a good 6 months and approx. 2000 miles to get it not to smoke.

Trying to find sub $2000 cars is not impossible if you know somebody who happens to want to sell it in good condition.
Most of them, nowadays, have something that cause it not driveable.

How much are you willing to spend on yearly registration, insurance, repairs, etc. on a cheap beater to preserve your 2011 Camry?

Going to a severe service maintenance schedule on the Camry might serve you better, and maybe forget HPL oil on really short OCIs.

Having 2 cars you don't drive much doesn't sound like an economical win.

Maybe look for a car with a known issue like bad transmission. If you can get the car for $300-500 then another $300-500 transmission.

If you buy a beater you're going to be spending $ on small stuff and possibly larger items that break. I'd just run the Camry. Can you get it out on the highway once a week or so?

Engines tend to well when run for long sustained periods of time.

If you buy a beater you're going to be spending $ on small stuff and possibly larger items that break. I'd just run the Camry. Can you get it out on the highway once a week or so?

Engines tend to well when run for long sustained periods of time.
Y'know, I think that's what I'm going to do. Your comment and that of @JMJNet, made me realize that keeping the Camry parked may not be the best option for longevity. Thanks!

If your only reason is to preserve the camry, I wouldn't bother. Take the Camry for a decent run once a month to clean out the cats, etc - it will likely last another 10 years at which point you won't be able to find parts for it anyway?

Actually, cars will break even if you are not driving it.
So, in your effort not driving the Camry may cause it to break down due to lack of running.

I had a 93 Lexus ES300, in my wisdom, we drove it sparingly since it was a second car.
When I tried to sell it after owning it for about 6 years, a lot of leaks (oil and leaky radiator) and the car run but smoking.
I had to drive hard for a good 6 months and approx. 2000 miles to get it not to smoke.
I dunno about that.
Many on this forum (including myself) have old vehicles we use sparingly as "summer" or "fair weather" cars.
Aside from regular items failing with age, my 34 year old BMW has been as reliable as any of my Japanese vehicles.

I don’t think there are a lot of “cheap” cars available right now—and those that are, are in need of work. Sometimes serious work. IMO you would be better off putting the miles onto your current car, and if something wears out due to poor roads, you’ll be in a better position to afford to repair it, from not having to purchase, fix, insure and register a beater.

Where this can work is when your labor is free. And the car you are trying to save costs an arm and a leg in fuel (or tires, or other costs). Or you’re a tightwad like me and are bouncing between a pair of beaters, fixing whichever is down (again).

Being a tightwad must be a New Hampshire thing! All kidding aside. I have always wanted a beater car, but when thinking about it, ALL of our cars in the family are beaters! The newest car between my wife and I is a 2008, the oldest is a 1992. All but one car has over 200K miles on them.

Keeping four cars in running condition seems like full time work when being driven in New Hampshire. Brake parts don't last that long, or any other part that see road salt. I am always replacing brake parts, sway bar end links and things that have grease fittings (despite greasing things regularly). Rear bumpers aren't lasting very long on my Toyota pickup even though I do oil undercoating every fall.

Yet, I have the urge to go to Arizona to buy some old 1990's or early 2000's Crown Vic or Chevy Impala for sliding around with. Besides, a road trip sounds fun when cabin fever sets in.

This makes absolutely no sense. Buy a beater to preserve an 11 year old Camry? I hate to say it, but an 11 year old Camry is a beater.
I was counting the posts before someone commented that my car is a beater ... and I even figured you'd be one of a few that I expected to make the comment.

I was counting the posts before someone commented that my car is a beater ... and I even figured you'd be one of a few that I expected to make the comment.
People's definition of a beater varies a lot. To me a 4 year old luxury car can be a beater if it's been neglected and thrashed hard. Your Camry is undoubtedly well taken care of and doesn't look the part at all but some people are just going to see an 11 year old low spec Camry as something hard to care much about. Keep it and get that adventure van you were hot for a month ago. (y)

I don't consider our 20 year old Xterra a beater but many would.

Just the other day as I was walking to my car at Walmart, one of the rug-rats from the car beside it opened their door into the side of my car. The mother said, "I am so sorry!" I told her not to worry about it, got in and drove away. And that, my friends, is why I drive a beater. There was a well written article many, many years ago by one of the editors at Hot Rod about the virtues of driving a beater.

I dunno about that.
Many on this forum (including myself) have old vehicles we use sparingly as "summer" or "fair weather" cars.
Aside from regular items failing with age, my 34 year old BMW has been as reliable as any of my Japanese vehicles.
Plastic and rubber age mostly due to oxidization. So just sitting around those parts will fail maybe not as quickly, but they still are degrading and will fail eventually either way. And that usually what fails, so not using it makes little sense.

My guess is your 34 year old BMW has less rubber and plastic, and was just built better to begin with. Friend of mine had a 90 ish 5 series that he more or less beat on and ignored, and he finally sold it due to the crazy covid prices. It still ran fine.

If the car has over 100,000 miles on it-and it's 11 years old-what are you hoping to preserve?
The car has less than 100,000 miles, there's not a dent on the body, although the paint can use a cleaning and wax, there's not a rip or a tear anywhere in the interior, no material is faded, the dash is perfect, and every knob, button, switch, gauge, and interior light works just as it came from the factory.

Compression is high and even, on a 6,500+ mile trip the car used about 4-ounces of oil at most, highway mileage was above 37mpg, and many tanks were kissing 38mpg.

The only repairs needed are a replacement for a turn signal bulb and a new battery for the key fog ... oh, one of the windshield wiper squirters is out of alignment ... it doesn't squirt quite where it should for best coverage.

That said, I've been convinced that getting a second car, a beater, is probably not the best idea right now. I appreciate all the suggestions.

Back