Think with your dipstick! (Castrol Edge)

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.castroledgeusa.com/ is live.

Edit - WOW!! The FAQ specifically mentions PAO as a prime ingredient.
crazy2.gif

ANY honesty from a motor oil company is refreshing.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
On the other hand....
The Seq 4A plot comparing Edge to M1 (wear vs. time) lacks wear value units. ("It's more, trust us!")
smirk2.gif

It never says PAO is a "prime" ingredient. It says it contains different base oils "including" PAO.

Does mention Mobil 1, Mobil 1 EP, Royal Purple and Synpower by name.(No Amsoil or Redline?)

**Why is that monkey laughing at us? Mocking us? What are they trying to tell us?

Last edited:
Tried the link in the first post and it is now inactive. MSDS for 5W-30 says it is "highly refined"base oil 90-95% and 10W-30 is highly refined base oil 80-85%. Does not sound like a lot of PAO to mke. Sounds like a group 3 oil.

How does the hours mentioned in the motor wear test correlate to real usage? In the test results the Mobil seems to drop significantly after 75 hrs but what does that mean in the real world.

Can they correlate hours to actual miles on an engine? For example, does a 7500 mile change interval equal say a 25 to 50 hr life range. I would expect Castrol performance to perform better as the test progresses for an extended OCI oil

Given that engines are already last the usual life of most vehicles with regular change intervals, how will anyone actually see these results unless they want a longer OCI?

Unless we are just trying to reduce oil use in general (less to recycle), Edge does not seem to be cost effective. A truly cost effective oil would give you better cost per mile...

Of course, I bet Amsoil is just ticked that Castrol is hypng stuff they have been doing for years.

There is no secret here. Castrol will get some early sales but since the buying public is NOT going to accept longer OCI's quickly (remember the original M1) it will be short lived when all the other oil sells market similar oils.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Interesting.

If they price it below the others, I bet they do well.

Bill

Edge is the most expensive oil you'll currently find on the shelves of your local auto part store. At $8/quart, it costs what Amsoil costs.

Going to be sold at WM from what they site says, so perhaps it will be priced just above M1 EP.

If it's at WM and priced OK, I'll give it a try.

Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
I won't be rushing out to buy any of this. Edge doesn't do anything better than GC, IMHO.

Anyone think GC (Gold) will still outperform EDGE 5W-30?

"This also sounds like a slam against Syntec, admitting that it fell short."

It looks like they are positioning Edge as a super premium synthetic, much as Mobil has positioned M1 Extended Performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back