Things Stupid People Say About Winter Tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well we all can't be Schumacher can we? That's why we're lucky as hell to have you!
You're argument appears to be that you have some type of juvenile issues with someone doing something successfully for decades without any special equipment, that you seem to require. But don't worry, you'll get over it. People like yourself just need more time to catch on.
Good God kid, take a chill pill and relax. .......
Before you have a hemmorage.

Repeatedly your are getting personal, apparently because you're lacking arguments.
Are you proud of it, don't you even notice it?

Where is the line that Y'all believe snow tires to be a wise investment and worth the time to put on?

One day of snow covered roads?

A week-2,3........

1,2,3 months?
Snow setup is a luxury and its more about how often its really cold where you live. Another factor is how much you like the vehicle and how long you plan to keep it. For example, we like our Carnival and plan to keep it for years, so i bought a nice set of wheel/tire for the winter season. This takes all the salt, wear, possible curb damages off my OE wheels. Over a long enough period of time the cost of the wheel and tire setup is minimal because you spread the wear out.

For my daily driver, 05 Escalade AWD, it has high tread depth hard as a rock Bridgestones all seasons. I'm not gonna bother swapping tires on it. I can just drive it easy and it certainly has no acceleration traction issues. Just stopping/turning. That can be handled by going slower.

For my work hauler that sees a day or two a week of use and is only 2WD (06 Yukon XL) i can also live without the snow tires. I typically drive this one in the afternoon when roads are fine. Same with my old ram, its a fair weather vehicle for the most part.

Also having the garage space, tools, willingness to rotate out a snow tire set plays a factor.

Where is the line that Y'all believe snow tires to be a wise investment and worth the time to put on?

A week-2,3........

1,2,3 months?
Here in Wisconsin we have about three, three and a half months where snow is expected. I have a set of winter tires for all my cars. As I get older they are getting heavier to carry up out of the basement but it's still worth it to me.

Another new entry!

"I don't need winter tires because I'm a good driver."

"I don't need winter tires because I have AWD."

"I don't need winter tires because I have All-Seasons."

"I don't need winter tires because just drive to the conditions."

"I don't need winter tires because I've never had a problem before."

"I don't need winter tires because snow plows."

"I don't need winter tires because road salt."

Edit: UPDATES FROM MEMBERS:

"I don't need winter tires because all you need is common sense."

"I don't need winter tires because it all boils down to how you drive."

"I don't need winter tires because I understand physics."

"I don't need winter tires because I watched my old man drive on bias ply tires."

"I don't need winter tires because people also drive all-seasons during the summer, so there."

"I don't need winter tires because it's not rocket science."

"I don't need winter tires because snow tires sucked 30 years ago."

I didn't say they were "needless". Nor did I say people who own them were "stupid". I'm saying they don't perform all that well. And many people tend to over drive them. They're no better on ice than all season tires, unless they're studded. And most aren't.

Try to keep track of all the 4WD's and, "Winter Tires".

The answer is none of them have real winter tires on it, which does not prove your point at all.

Also, California is Chain country, so people with 2WD would be chained up, as 4WD/AWD will still be on all-seasons or usually an All-terrain tire, before they are required to be on chains (which that condition is rare).

A week-2,3........

1,2,3 months?

Switch it out to Hoosiers R7s in the dry summer so they can have the best handling and braking performance possible and then switch it out to Conti DW for the best possible wet traction when it rains, then switch it to snow tires for the 1 day it snows here. That way we can all have the best possible traction in all types of weather, because if you don't, you'll slide into a bus full of kids at a gas station and it'll explode and destroy the town. That's all I got from this thread.

We can summarize this entire piss poor thread by stating "properly prepare yourself for the conditions that you will be driving in."

When I address a single person who I am directing my reply to on a public forum, yes, that is correctly called, "getting personal". I've explained myself to him several times. And I'm not about to explain it to you.
You didn’t explain anything. You tried first to convince everyone here how you are rare breed that has common sense and judgment, because we don’t. And we never drovw in Chicago. And you posted some ridiculous videos which make no sense whatsoever trying to discredit data and FACTS! You came a bit around trying to argue that you really didn’t mean that but you still have to put that, while performance is better, somehow it is still questionable (because shorter braking in ice and snow is somehow questionable).
I drive twice a week to ski. I see those “common sense” people in ditch every time there is snow event. I have only few times seen people in ditch or crashing going uphill. But, boy did I see these “common sense” people crashing going downhill. It is almost like braking matters more than going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back