"I don't need winter tires because I have All-Seasons."

"I don't need winter tires because just drive to the conditions."

"I don't need winter tires because I've never had a problem before."

"I don't need winter tires because snow plows."

"I don't need winter tires because road salt."

Edit: UPDATES FROM MEMBERS

"I don't need winter tires because all you need is common sense."

Last edited:
I lived and drove in Chicago for 38 years. I never bought "Snow Tires", and never owned a 4 wheel drive vehicle in my life. I never was late for an appointment, or a day of work because I, "got stuck".

I'm not arguing that "Winter Tires" don't work, or aren't helpful. It's just that I never had it proven to me that I needed them. I never drove aggressively, or stupidly in the Winter. And I stayed off lesser traveled roads. Even if it meant I had to drive a bit further to get to my destination.

I always allowed myself more time, and paid more attention in bad Winter weather. I think that's the key, as opposed to trying to equip your vehicle to, "boldly go where no man has gone before". As always YMMV.

Winter tires make STOPPING in weather effective much more appealing. I have installed sets on my cars and my kids cars for many years ( Michigan) and I can attest to driving on shear ice with a set of Michelin X Ice with a BMW 328i X-drive with zero loss of traction, starting or stopping. The all-season tires I had for same car got me in to a ditch from an early season snow that I thought I could manage. Well, the car slid off the road (downhill and right hand turn). This would not have happened with the winter set installed. Also, drove to Jackson Hole with same car and all around the Tetons that year. Super quiet ride and best traction money can buy.

From my view point, I would like to see insurance companies give premium discounts to drivers that invest in using these tires. Really hard to find a tire that can compare to a Winter tire in performance and safety. Life is precious, tires are cheap and will last up to 4 seasons.

Older tires are the worst for winter driving. I had a set of Michelin tires that aged to over 5 years on a Tundra. I could not keep that thing on the center of the road. Changed to a new set of Michelins and it was night and day.

Biggest threat to driving in winter is people. People believe they have AWD and the car is "Great in the snow" then go try to stop suddenly...

My .02 cents

Hehe YEE YEE truck on all terrains go WHEEEE!!!
895F1D71-99A9-4A57-86BD-60EF0C410150.gif

From my view point, I would like to see insurance companies give premium discounts to drivers that invest in using these tires.

Because it's not going to matter when someone slides into you with no insurance. When you see these huge Winter, 50 car pileups on the Interstates, you'll lose count of how many of those wrecked vehicles are equipped with, "Winter Tires".

Winter tires aren't going to matter, when they're on a car being driven by a ****.

Stupid people not only say stupid things they also do stupid things. One example is they think that winter tires means they can drive on snow and ice like dry pavement. Or they can drive their 4x4 PU or AWD SUV at 80 mph in a blizzard. When they find themselves in a ditch or wrapped around a tree on the parkway if they're lucky they wonder why.......

If you have a light car, with an inexperienced winter driver, and ridiculously wide all season OEM tires-they’re an absolute necessity if you live in an area that gets any snow at all. When I bought my Vibe, back in the winter of ‘04, it snowed 3 inches the day I picked it up. I’ve driven in snow since I turned 16 (which was back in 1980, when we got REAL winters), and I almost didn’t make it home on the piece of crap OEM Contis!

Because it's not going to matter when someone slides into you with no insurance. When you see these huge Winter, 50 car pileups on the Interstates, you'll lose count of how many of those wrecked vehicles are equipped with, "Winter Tires".

Winter tires aren't going to matter, when they're on a car being driven by a ****.
Zero.

That‘s how many of the wrecked vehicles actually had winter tires.

The correlation between crashes and all seasons in Vermont was 100%.

Fascinating to watch. The list of reasons, and rationale of flatlanders, read just like your post.

My son just had a Québécois ignore his warning about slick conditions at Sugarbush ski area. “I am fine, I have AWD” was the reply.

Then the Québécois crashed his Tesla into a pickup truck. The left front wheel spokes of the Tesla slid onto pickup‘s hitch and he was well and truly stuck.

But my son‘s FWD Volvo got by on his four winter tires. Nokian Hakkapelliittas.

Chicago salts and plows the roads. On that surface, in those limited conditions, perhaps all seasons worked well for you.

I‘m sure the Québécois thought the same, after all, they plow the roads and salt in Montreal, but when he met an unprepared, icy, steep, Vermont ski area parking lot, he discovered how much better winter tires truly are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back