The YouTube Ford Tech Makuloco makes the case for a 3000 mile oil change on the Ford.Ecoboost

I do 5000 mile oil changes myself.
Never once had any problem and engines stay very clean.
Amsoil Signature Series 5w30 in 3 vehicles.
Amsoil 0w16 OE in 1 vehicle.

Sure, I get that, but even if you’re DIYing you’re spending 3x the time and 3x the cleanup and 3x the oil waste? That’s not economy.

I’m not throwing stones from a glass house, because I used to think that way too… but there are better ways 😉
3x the time, 3x the cleanup, 3x the oil waste, but 1/3rd the sludge. LOL.

Even when there’s over 2 Billion (yes, with a B) miles of data from a single oil manufacturer over the past decade that objectively proves the first and third points of your statement false?
Just to give some insight here. I live in a part of the world that sees -30f cold in the winter that I'm starting my truck in for a week or so at a time. I've drained the oil after a few months of this type of cold, and you can smell the gas in it from all the cold starts. I'd rather not use that oil for longer then I need to. I'm actually doing this more for timing chain wear then anything else. Do what you want with your truck and I'll keep doing what I'm doing.

What year is your Vette ?
I don't have a Vette but I do acknowledge that it's a world class performance vehicle. A couple of years ago Vettes were still affordable but, like everything else these days, they've become pricey (but still more affordable than their foreign competitors).

Reactions: 4WD
Yeah that guy is a grade-A rubber dildo. I commented one time, and he was a **** to me and said it wasnt open for debate. I was just bringing up a point i thought could be considered. But then preaches at the end of his crap vids to be nice to someone. So im just gunna troll him now. F it
Yeah, he seems to attack people and get bent out of shape.

I think oil change intervals are a very personal thing, which makes the topic so interesting. But one thing I can’t stand is the...oil is cheap, engines are not, type comments.

Yes, there are some engines that do have oil related failure issues, but those engines usually have known problems...bad bearings, rings, fuel dilution, whatever. The ones that don’t, and there are many, aren’t going to need excessively short drain intervals. And some people that make these types of statements hardly drive their cars and trade them in at 70,000 miles and it’s off to the new one.

Yes, I really like HPL's Ester based oils and their cleaning abilities.
They are filling a niche in the market where most other name brand oils have cheapened their product over the years by removing PAO's and Esters and are just providing group III full synthetic, and in my opinion there is no noticable difference between any brand's group III full synthetic.

Group III full synthetic might be all you need.
I've found that it's very cost effective to use a low priced group III full synthetic costing only $4 a quart (Ex: SuperTech with 5 quart jug), and do a 4k/6 month oil change interval. The oil isn't in the engine long enough to cause dirty oil control rings/piston rings, sludge, or varnish.

Also, I wanted to adopt a maintenance strategy that nearly all mechanics would agree with and do on their own vehicles.
Ask any mechanic if they would approve of a 15,000 mile oil change interval with any oil, and I bet all of them would say they don't approve. We need to be careful not to think we are smarter than the mechanics. It's analogous to: Me doing a little medical research on WebMd and thinking I am smarter than a Medical Doctor.
I think this is a reasonable post. I feel similar. Part of me wants to use an Amsoil or HPL, and run it 15,000 miles, get my money’s worth out of the oil, experiment a little, but in the end (as of now) I don’t have the stomach for it. That might change though. I’m open to trying new things, and I feel I have an engine that is “easy on oil”, otherwise I wouldn’t attempt long drain intervals at all.

But you’re right, mechanics don’t recommend or do extended drains. I’ve never in my life even seen a tech go over 7,000 miles on an interval (And that 7,000 miles was with Amsoil Signature series). Even today, a friend of mine is doing an oil change on his wife’s VW Passat using Signature series 0W40, and I know he won’t go over 5,000 on that oil change...and I’m trying to talk him into going 10,000 on it. And then there are the techs that will stick to 3,000 miles using synthetic, like clockwork. I’m looking at the stuff they’re draining and I joke...hey, can I have your used oil? I can probably run that another 3,000 miles without issue. Haha.

You’ve done a complete engine tear Down to see they are very clean? Just asking is all. Amsoil ASL is a great oil
No I have not. It just comes out clean after 5,000 miles of driving so, I'm hoping
it's very clean.
Yrs ago my oil changes would always come out very dark, almost black.
This oil after the 1st or 2nd change doesn't do that anymore.
This oil seems to clean and protect very well. I'm very satisfied using it.

I think this is a reasonable post. I feel similar. Part of me wants to use an Amsoil or HPL, and run it 15,000 miles, get my money’s worth out of the oil, experiment a little, but in the end (as of now) I don’t have the stomach for it. That might change though. I’m open to trying new things, and I feel I have an engine that is “easy on oil”, otherwise I wouldn’t attempt long drain intervals at all.

But you’re right, mechanics don’t recommend or do extended drains. I’ve never in my life even seen a tech go over 7,000 miles on an interval (And that 7,000 miles was with Amsoil Signature series). Even today, a friend of mine is doing an oil change on his wife’s VW Passat using Signature series 0W40, and I know he won’t go over 5,000 on that oil change...and I’m trying to talk him into going 10,000 on it. And then there are the techs that will stick to 3,000 miles using synthetic, like clockwork. I’m looking at the stuff they’re draining and I joke...hey, can I have your used oil? I can probably run that another 3,000 miles without issue. Haha.
There is a temptation among many people to do extended oil change intervals.
I think I'll have a better outcome (no sludge, no varnish, no stuck oil control rings, etc) if I do short oil change intervals with a low priced full synthetic oil. If I were going to see 2 used cars on Craigslist on the same day, 2 similar models, and 1 owner changed his oil every 3k-4k miles and the other every 15k miles, I would much rather buy the car from the owner who changed his oil every 3k to 4k miles.

I think I'll have a better outcome (no sludge, no varnish, no stuck oil control rings, etc) if I do short oil change intervals with a low priced full synthetic oil. If I were going to see 2 used cars on Craigslist on the same day, 2 similar models, and 1 owner changed his oil every 3k-4k miles and the other every 15k miles, I would much rather buy the car from the owner who changed his oil every 3k to 4k miles.
Capture.JPG

Yeah absolutely...if I saw two cars for sale, I’d definitely pick the one with the shorter/more frequent oil change intervals. However, I have done three 10,000 mile intervals on my current car, no issues (as of yet). But like I said, I don’t really have the stomach for them - I have 122,000 miles on my car - out of all those miles and oil changes, 90,000 miles of them have been 5,000 mile intervals. Yet I’m still tempted to run an Amsoil or HPL and experiment. I don’t care about the resale on my car, when I sell it, it will have probably close to 300,000 miles on it, and the clientele will be tire kickers and and people offering me $1,200 bucks and a bag of beef jerky. But I get what you’re saying, 100%.

Back