The YouTube Ford Tech Makuloco makes the case for a 3000 mile oil change on the Ford.Ecoboost

My wife has a Fusion with an Ecoboost engine and based on my anecdotal exposure, it's not just a mileage counter. I have read - stories from people where it happens to them - that it will track time, i.e. 12 months/1 year, in cases where the vehicle gets driven very little. It will trend to 0% very quickly when it approaches 1 year interval.
This is true. I've been babysitting mom's Maverick for the last year and I've probably driven it no more than 200 miles in that time. It was around 50% when she dropped it off almost a year ago. Yesterday I looked and it is at 18% and starting to tell me to plan for an oil change soon in the Fordpass App.

I was originally one of the doubters about the time thing, but it appears to be true.

I should have paid closer attention to mine when we took our Disney trip with the camper. Chewing through gas at 9mpg should have dropped the monitor down more than usual, but I didn't give it much mind when we took the trip.

Yeah that guy is a grade-A rubber dildo. I commented one time, and he was a **** to me and said it wasnt open for debate. I was just bringing up a point i thought could be considered. But then preaches at the end of his crap vids to be nice to someone. So im just gunna troll him now. F it
Sounds about right for these clowns.

Lol, I agree, ford boss is a complete goof. I commented on one of his videos recently because he hates so hard on Mobil 1, keeps complains how low moly it has compared to other oils. I attempt to explain the tri nuclear moly used in it and he went off and threw a tantrum about it lol.
He's such a manchild, he tried to be an anti Scotty kilmer but somehow ended up being even worse than Scotty. Haven't seen his vids in a long time.

Also, I wanted to adopt a maintenance strategy that nearly all mechanics would agree with and do on their own vehicles.
Ask any mechanic if they would approve of a 15,000 mile oil change interval with any oil, and I bet all of them would say they don't approve. We need to be careful not to think we are smarter than the mechanics. It's analogous to: Me doing a little medical research on WebMd and thinking I am smarter than a Medical Doctor.
I wouldn’t give mechanics that much credit. There are some really good ones but also some really bad ones, and sometimes it’s hard to tell which you’re going to get. They are more like nurses than doctors although I don’t think the analogies work. Most of them know very little about oil. I would listen to your manual first and foremost.

Why waste money & time on short oil changes when there are engine oils formulated to address all of your concerns while giving a service life of 15k or more?
In what engine and driven how? A large set of unaccounted for variables.

In what engine and driven how? A large set of unaccounted for variables.
Considering the 15k interval is based on the 3.5 EcoBoost that also includes hundreds of hours per OCI idling in the south Texas/Arizona/California heat with 5k filter change intervals & top-offs, with nearly 200M miles over 12,000+ fleet vehicles of UOA data per year to support this… I’m not going to say it’s impossible, but it’s unlikely that your average daily driver is going to tax the oil as much as this, especially if you simply cut out the hundreds of hours of idling with a known fuel diluter. I’d need to see clear objective data disproving that the oil is capable of this interval at this point.

Why waste money & time on short oil changes when there are engine oils formulated to address all of your concerns while giving a service life of 15k or more?
Because the economy is most likely there (3 shorter economy oil 5K changes similar cost as one 15K $$$ oil change) and it makes folks feel better. I get it.

If you are an alert and knowledgable consumer the oil change cost wont be so much. RockAuto Motorcraft filters purchased in bulk. Walmart "rollbacks" and shopping the big oil shelf. Costco oil deals...etc...

No one should fear Kirkland oil or SuperTech...

I have been driving Ecoboost engines since 2018 and you learn fast this is an engine that loves fresh oil. I didnt need a Youtube video or an engine teardown to figure this out.

This is a great video with engine teardown. Currently I do 3000 mile changes on mine.

When using non full synthetic, I agree. I operate 2 Ecoboost engines, one with 150K. No issues what so ever. I expect it to make it to 400K. I use M1, 10W-30 and change at 5K intervals.

When I see a teardown and varnish or sludge, I already know it was poorly maintained. Generally using the oil life monitor and NOT using M1.

What does a Ford dealer use in this engine? I believe it's the 5W20 or 30 Motorcraft syn blend correct? No way I'd use that for long drains on this...5K. My Focus is 10 years/125K on primiarly MC 5W20 syn blend at 5K OCI but NA, not turbo.

Last edited:
Yes, I really like HPL's Ester based oils and their cleaning abilities.
They are filling a niche in the market where most other name brand oils have cheapened their product over the years by removing PAO's and Esters and are just providing group III full synthetic, and in my opinion there is no noticable difference between any brand's group III full synthetic.

Also, I wanted to adopt a maintenance strategy that nearly all mechanics would agree with and do on their own vehicles.
Ask any mechanic if they would approve of a 15,000 mile oil change interval with any oil, and I bet all of them would say they don't approve. We need to be careful not to think we are smarter than the mechanics. It's analogous to: Me doing a little medical research on WebMd and thinking I am smarter than a Medical Doctor.
Agree on HPL, but not on the cheapening of competitor products. Oils get better over time, not worse. Baseline specs are always been re-evaluated and the performance parameters increased.

Mechanics often don't know much about oil other than the basics. And they're often servicing cars that people neglect. Motor Oil is a very misunderstood subject. Mechanics are not lubricant engineers. They know the very basics. Sometimes they even get a lot of that wrong.

Mechanics are not tribologists. They fix mechanical problems.

Because the economy is most likely there (3 shorter economy oil 5K changes similar cost as one 15K $$$ oil change) and it makes folks feel better. I get it.
Sure, I get that, but even if you’re DIYing you’re spending 3x the time and 3x the cleanup and 3x the oil waste? That’s not economy.

I’m not throwing stones from a glass house, because I used to think that way too… but there are better ways 😉

Sure, I get that, but even if you’re DIYing you’re spending 3x the time and 3x the cleanup and 3x the oil waste? That’s not economy.

I’m not throwing stones from a glass house, because I used to think that way too… but there are better ways 😉
3 more times/less time between getting under your car and looking etc. also has value for folks, just not you. It's cool, do 15K, I get it. I also get 5K/Supertech changes. I could easily do the HPL 2-3 year drains on 2 of my older vehicles based on their mileage but it's better for me to spend the same money and change them one or two times a year. If I was still a 30K/year highway commuter, yep...all over HPL 15K changes...that's the value at least to me. Should I go 15K on HPL in my Sportwagen with track use? Of course not....5K all day HPL regardless. 15K on my Atlas with a heavy fuel diluter all short trips? Nope. 5K free FCP Liquimoly all day. Actually now that I am typing...the Passat W8 would be a good one for multi-year drains on HPL Euro 5W40 vs. the annual/3K changes I do now with the free Liquimoly but...free is hard to argue with in these cases.

Last edited:
Some people come up with all sorts of reasonings to justify their behavior/biases. Oil changes are one of the few areas of car ownership in which the owner has control of the maintenance regimen. The urge to "do something" is extremely strong. We see it all the time on BITOG.

Mechanics fix vehicles. They have observational opinions only typically. They see long drains/neglect with cheap oils and say "only do 3-5K" but do they see an engine tear down of a 15K OCI engine with HPL/other high-end oil? Likely no - their sample population is heavily skewed. Their opinons work for average folks.

Normal maintenance, no they are not. Whenever a turbo is replaced it is required to change them. We generally do them whenever we remove one of the lines just to CYA.
Same reason Subaru told all dealers to remove them from the variable valve solenoid as it can restrict oil flow to the turbo.

Considering the 15k interval is based on the 3.5 EcoBoost that also includes hundreds of hours per OCI idling in the south Texas/Arizona/California heat with 5k filter change intervals & top-offs, with nearly 200M miles over 12,000+ fleet vehicles of UOA data per year to support this… I’m not going to say it’s impossible, but it’s unlikely that your average daily driver is going to tax the oil as much as this, especially if you simply cut out the hundreds of hours of idling with a known fuel diluter. I’d need to see clear objective data disproving that the oil is capable of this interval at this point.
I guess I lost the context here. I thought you were recommending a 15k interval in general. I still am loathe to recommend anyone go beyond any mfg OCI unless the manual and engine are specifying conventional oil.

Back