The YouTube Ford Tech Makuloco makes the case for a 3000 mile oil change on the Ford.Ecoboost

BIL put over 200K on a first year 3.5EB in an F150, issue free. He took it to jiffy lube every 3k for oil changes.
My BiL has a 2015 F150 (3.5 eb) … zero issues - not sure where he is on miles now - but know he does 5k on M1 …
I gave him lots of XG10575’s (lower bypass)

Last edited:
FordTechMakuloco is very thorough with his videos.
5,000 mile OCI is what I do. Forget about API-SP and ILSAC GF-6A. Find yourself some ACEA C3 Euro oil and use it. That stuff will handle the soot. Most of the C3 oils will be VW 504.00/507.00, BMW LL04, MB 229.31, MB 229.51.

"This is Why You Never Run Extended Oil Change Intervals on The Ford Ecoboost Engines!"

This is their title & they are directly telling their three quarters of a million subscribers to not follow the Oil life monitor based on this one example.
Issue is, people are deciding for themselves what "extended" means. If Ford's OLM runs down to 10% at 8976 miles, that is NOT an extended oil change interval. Extended is when you go past what the manufacturer says. There are still people who think you need to change full synthetic oil every 3000 miles in a NA engine that does 90% highway miles, so to them, 5000 miles is "extended".

Issue is, people are deciding for themselves what "extended" means. If Ford's OLM runs down to 10% at 8976 miles, that is NOT an extended oil change interval. Extended is when you go past what the manufacturer says. There are still people who think you need to change full synthetic oil every 3000 miles in a NA engine that does 90% highway miles, so to them, 5000 miles is "extended".
I agree & what is defined "extended use" should be exceeding past OEM's OLM. They are blaming oil for this sooty looking filter clog issue. It appears this is a very hot area & Synthetics might do better but it may not be the fault of the oil. I would say 224k miles on a "Screen filter" is asking for trouble to begin with especially in this hot zone.

Even if a person changes every 3k it would make little sense not to change these filters out every 150k, for preventative maintenance, unless it's a pile on it's last leg. That's only 1 time change if your ecoboost lasts 300k miles.

Wondering where the rule of thumb for 3K oil changes on a turbo come from? Especially if it's with synethetic oil. Many manufacturers (especially in Europe) seem to be spec'ing long OCIs even on their turbo'd engines. Is there something inherently different on newer turbo engines that allow them to run on a longer OCI?
Saab, VW and a few others extended the OCI on some turbo engines, they made it through the warranty most of the time but not much longer. With frequent oil changes they were no trouble.

This isnt the only engine the Ford Tech has changed. He doesnt say exactly how many, but he is a professional and has changed many engines. So his opinion formed as a result of a mechanics experience opening and changing engines as well as other parts. No he did not do a scientific experiment. Everyone should know this is of course his opinion.

I have done many oil changes on the Ecoboost myself and based on what comes out...black watery looking oil...well my opinion is I am not running it to 10,000 miles. I did not do a science based study, but its my car and I wont run it to 10k.

This isnt the only engine the Ford Tech has changed. He doesnt say exactly how many, but he is a professional and has changed many engines. So his opinion formed as a result of a mechanics experience opening and changing engines as well as other parts. No he did not do a scientific experiment. Everyone should know this is of course his opinion.

I have done many oil changes on the Ecoboost myself and based on what comes out...black watery looking oil...well my opinion is I am not running it to 10,000 miles. I did not do a science based study, but its my car and I wont run it to 10k.
The crappy little Kia Rio I bought for my kids looks the same. I change that one at 3000 miles. I have to admit, that even if there was a science-based study that proved it was unnecessary to change, I'd still change it early because of the way it looks. LOL... I stick with 5000-7000 miles even on the ones that are easy on oil. I change all the fluids early relative to the normal maintenance schedule.

So when I run multiple analysis of 10k OCI's and everything comes back in great shape, what am I missing? I don't see them analyze "soot", so maybe I should request that.
UOA's don't measure engine cleanliness. There is no measurement in a UOA for gummed up piston rings, sludge, varnish.
I prefer short oil change intervals so the oil isn't in the engine long enough to cause engine cleanliness issues.

Last edited:
He made a video early on (in the Ecoboost's life) explaining how all turbo DI engines coke up and the Ecoboost F150 was no different. That hasn't turned out to be the case (find me a confirmed case). Sadly that video is still out there and has probably cost Ford a LOT of sales. He's probably a great mechanic, but based on that one video, I file his stuff under "hack". My 2.7 Ecoboost gets an oil change at about 7500 miles.
A lot of mechanics like to think they are engineers.

Ive looked around for a table of Fords algorithm like the excellent white paper we got out of Honda and I've never seen one.

Ive heard from 2 Ford Eco boost owners its a simple dumb mileage counter.

Ive heard from others its a penalty and input based system like Hondas, and Gm's but I've never seen the scheme.

Ive heard from 2 Ford Eco boost owners its a simple dumb mileage counter.
My wife has a Fusion with an Ecoboost engine and based on my anecdotal exposure, it's not just a mileage counter. I have read - stories from people where it happens to them - that it will track time, i.e. 12 months/1 year, in cases where the vehicle gets driven very little. It will trend to 0% very quickly when it approaches 1 year interval.

Lol, I agree, ford boss is a complete goof. I commented on one of his videos recently because he hates so hard on Mobil 1, keeps complains how low moly it has compared to other oils. I attempt to explain the tri nuclear moly used in it and he went off and threw a tantrum about it lol.
Yeah that guy is a grade-A rubber dildo. I commented one time, and he was a **** to me and said it wasnt open for debate. I was just bringing up a point i thought could be considered. But then preaches at the end of his crap vids to be nice to someone. So im just gunna troll him now. F it

My wife has a Fusion with an Ecoboost engine and based on my anecdotal exposure, it's not just a mileage counter. I have read - stories from people where it happens to them - that it will track time, i.e. 12 months/1 year, in cases where the vehicle gets driven very little. It will trend to 0% very quickly when it approaches 1 year interval.
Much like our VW. I change the oil in our Tiguan yearly. It never makes it to 10,000 miles. 8,500 miles has been the maximum, when the reminder came on.

UOA's don't measure engine cleanliness. There is no measurement in a UOA for gummed up piston rings, sludge, varnish.
I prefer short oil change intervals so the oil isn't in the engine long enough to cause engine cleanliness issues.
Why waste money & time on short oil changes when there are engine oils formulated to address all of your concerns while giving a service life of 15k or more?

From my Fusion, Transit Connect, and F150, it’s a 10k OLM, but you have to be doing some SERIOUS idle time to significantly impact the algorithm. My wife idles the TC way more than I ever do in my F150, and her OLM may drop to ~9400 miles or so. Not a huge impact, but then again I live in a rural area so only maybe 10 hours or so idle time over a full OCI.

I’ve had my F150 for 2.5 years and only accumulated 42 total hours of idle time since I got it.

Why waste money & time on short oil changes when there are engine oils formulated to address all of your concerns while giving a service life of 15k or more?
Yes, I really like HPL's Ester based oils and their cleaning abilities.
They are filling a niche in the market where most other name brand oils have cheapened their product over the years by removing PAO's and Esters and are just providing group III full synthetic, and in my opinion there is no noticable difference between any brand's group III full synthetic.

Group III full synthetic might be all you need.
I've found that it's very cost effective to use a low priced group III full synthetic costing only $4 a quart (Ex: SuperTech with 5 quart jug), and do a 4k/6 month oil change interval. The oil isn't in the engine long enough to cause dirty oil control rings/piston rings, sludge, or varnish.

Also, I wanted to adopt a maintenance strategy that nearly all mechanics would agree with and do on their own vehicles.
Ask any mechanic if they would approve of a 15,000 mile oil change interval with any oil, and I bet all of them would say they don't approve. We need to be careful not to think we are smarter than the mechanics. It's analogous to: Me doing a little medical research on WebMd and thinking I am smarter than a Medical Doctor.

Back