The YouTube Ford Tech Makuloco makes the case for a 3000 mile oil change on the Ford.Ecoboost

I have been driving Ecoboost engines since 2018 and you learn fast this is an engine that loves fresh oil. I didnt need a Youtube video or an engine teardown to figure this out.

This is a great video with engine teardown. Currently I do 3000 mile changes on mine.

My method of buying oil is go to Walmart oil aisle, look for full synthetic and API SP and then look for the top oil in each brand and then buy the cheapest. So if its Castrol Edge on sale I get it for example.

So when I run multiple analysis of 10k OCI's and everything comes back in great shape, what am I missing? I don't see them analyze "soot", so maybe I should request that.

I generally like his videos. However I take some exceptions to the statements he makes:

- he implies that "they" created the SP oil spec due to Ford EB engines. The API didn't just do this for EB engines; it's a market driven thing because of all GTDI engines

- further, though we know the frequency of the OCIs for this vehicle, we don't know the details about the lubes and how it was done? Was this done at home with high-end syns? or was this Expedition taken to a local quick-lube and low quality bulk drum oil used?

- he states that if you don't do OCIs often enough (following the IOLM) the oil "filter will get plugged real quick"; that's rubbish. He clearly doesn't understand the concept of soot particle size and the role of anti-agglomerates in the add pack

- he uses the term "extended oil changes" referring to the factory IOLM intervals. Most of us consider "extensions" to be PAST the IOLM.

- the engine does have 224k miles on it. Yes; it would be nice if it lasted longer, but is this anecdotal example a reason to condemn all OCIs simply because the engine didn't go to 500k miles, or whatever he believes is reasonable?

- he mentions that the engine didn't look too bad, but the turbo inlet screens are in very bad shape which led to failed turbos. So why condemn an entire engine if only some components need replacement???? That's a bit of hysterical over-reaction, is it not? Maybe the owner wanted a new engine rather than just new components? Don't know ...

- he mentions that one of the turbo's failed, and the initial shop only changed the turbo and didn't check the inlet screens for both turbos; that's not the fault of the engine or lube when a supposedly skilled mechanic does a half-ass job. This is probably the root cause of the engine demise; that the turbo oil inlet screens were clogged. This engine could have lasted a lot longer if the turbo lube screens were changed out. Don't blame the oil for a lack of mechanical maintenance. He states that the EB turbos have coolant leak issues and states the oil screens should always be replaced when ANY work is done on the turbos ...

- he also mentions that the engine had 2 quarts of oil in it, because the failed turbos were letting oil burn out the combustion process. If the oil was THAT low, is that not the fault of the owner to check the oil levels even occasionally ???

- As we know, there are lubes that don't clean well, and lubes that do clean exceptionally well. Perhaps if this engine was run with oils with esters and ANs, the coked oil on the turbo oil screens would never have happened in the first place

Bottom line is this ... He's making a blanket statement with assumptions based on a lot of missing info. While short OCIs never killed any engine, the IOLM OCI was not necessarily the root cause of this engine failure. There are too many unanswered variables to make that giant leap.

Are the turbo lube feed screens part of the "normal" maintenance routine?

Does the fact that the screens get plugged indicate the engine oil filter is often in the bypass mode? (I assume those feeds are downstream of the engine oil filter).

Following the Dash monitor while letting the oil get low is going to cause failure. Continuously running low on oil is going to increase wear tremendously. I'm sure this contributed to the screen clogging issue.

However, those screens don't have much surface area & especially the dinky one. I suppose Ford wanting to protect the turbo & in this case a clogged filter prevented oil circulation. Which should be more reason to change them on a schedule.

Filters on or in an engine is a maintenance item IMO. Filter Screens like this should be changed by 150k. Running a filter screen for 225k & then Blaming the oil instead of a lack of filter maintenance is not helpful or the solution. This is just another Youtube "Personality", "Amazon Associate" with click bait titling to get paid for you watching & clicking their links to purchase stuff.

This is their Disclaimer:

Disclaimer:The information, demonstration and any content contained in this video is for informational purposes only. The user and BSG Automotive (hereinafter “FordTechMakuloco”) makes no warranty, express or implied, regarding the effectiveness or safety of the contents of this video. In no way should the contents of the video, including the tools used, be repeated or tried by anyone. Viewers should only seek the help of a trained professional located at a licensed auto repair shop for any fix, modification, alteration, or any change to their vehicle. FordTechMakuloco shall not be liable for any injury, damage, or loss to any person or property that may result from use of the tools, equipment, or any content contained in this video. In addition, there is no way to guarantee that the video is not altered or modified or is not in the final form submitted by FordTechMakuloco and therefore, FordTechMakuloco does not warrant that the video is unaltered or not modified. The links on this video to products are for informational purposes only and in no way are an endorsement of the safety or effectiveness of the particular product. Viewers understand that anything contained in this video or linked to or from this video is the sole responsibility of the viewer and in no way provides an express or implied warranty as to the safety or effectiveness of any linked tool, product, or video. Therefore, viewer agrees to release, waive, and discharge FordTechMakuloco or anyone affiliated with FordTechMakuloco, from any and all liability, claims, demands, actions, and causes of action whatsoever arising out of or related to any loss, damage, or injury, including death, that may be sustained by the viewer, or to any property belonging to viewer, regardless of whether the loss is linked to the use of the contents of this video, or otherwise and regardless of whether such liability arises in tort, contract, strict liability, or otherwise, to the fullest extent allowed by law.

Last edited:
@dnewton3 is correct. He made some very broad generalizations. SP wasn't developed bc of the Ford Ecoboost either lol.

I'm not in favor of short or long drains. It's dependent on the oil used, engine type, how it is used etc. I think for 90% of the public that doesn't care about oil, sure, change it sooner rather than later.

Are the turbo lube feed screens part of the "normal" maintenance routine?

Does the fact that the screens get plugged indicate the engine oil filter is often in the bypass mode? (I assume those feeds are downstream of the engine oil filter).
Maybe a torn filter from the mother ship 🙄

Lots of engines especially turbo engines do not like extended OCI. Personally I stick to 5K with synthetic regardless and 3K on the turbo cars.
I agree and follow the same principle. I don't think extended drains are necessarily a bad thing, but it is heavily dependent on the engine and the use case as well as the oil used. There is not a one size fits all solution. My BMW is N/A port injected and holds 7 quarts, and I used to commute 100 miles a day where the oil always got up to operating temperature. I could've easily done extended drains with a quality Euro oil. Now my commute is 7 miles a day.

A life of working fleet maintenance on Pickups cars, forklifts and semi trucks has proven to me that depending on many factors and engine types as well as operation , frequent oil changes usually provide the operators of such vehicles a clean and long lived engine..

Wondering where the rule of thumb for 3K oil changes on a turbo come from? Especially if it's with synethetic oil. Many manufacturers (especially in Europe) seem to be spec'ing long OCIs even on their turbo'd engines. Is there something inherently different on newer turbo engines that allow them to run on a longer OCI?

Back