The World Has Turned UPSIDE-DOWN!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fellow OILERS,

I was reading The Detroit News and found this item of interest and I believe that ________ has frozen over too!
driving.gif

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061116/AUTO01/611160390/1148

The big surprise is to look where Honda and Toyota are.
crushedcar.gif

That fits my limited experience this year. I bought a Chevy online and by phone from Stanford Chevy in Dearborn, Mi and an Acura through Elk grove Acura in Elk grove, Ca. Both transactions were about as close to perfect as you can get.

When we bought the Acura we had originally set out to buy a Camry, but the two local Toyota dealers we went to were such Richard Craniums that we got an Acura instead. I suspect the sleaze ball dealer tactics at the Toilet dealers would have also colored our buying experience had we bought from them.

OTOH, I bought the Chevy from the Dearborn dealer because the local Chevy dealers were even bigger Richard Craniums than the local Toyota dealers. Acura didn't have suitable Corvette substitute that fit my budget though, so I went outside the local are to get a Corvette.

When I bought my truck in central Oregon I thought that the heavens had opened a beam of light illuminated the dealership :^) I found a candidate vehicle online, called them, told them that I'd probably buy one but it would be a couple of hours before I got down there. They said that since it was an advertised loss leader (which I didn't know) they'd appreciate my DL# to hold the vehicle for me. When I got there I looked it over, didn't test drive it, and was on the road in an hour or so, in a truck that is still the lowest price that I've heard for a 4 door diesel 4x4.

We bought a Taurus from our local Ford dealer recently, and it was also a pleasnt, no hassle, incredible deal; even the sales people told me that 'I got a really good deal'.

Bad ones are obviously out there though, as I've had a couple try a classic bait and switch.

Most Honda dealers act as their cars are manna gifts from the sweet inner thigh of an Asian goddess. And you no got the money you no get the whoopee.

Bull punky on that.

I bought my wifes 06 4 runner as a an advertised loss leader. 23,500 out the door. It was in the paper we went to the dealer and they said they had it (we couldn't find a 4 runner for less than 30k before that, it was right off the truck and had not been dealer prepped we said "prep it" it took a little longer to prep than it took us to finish the paper work and 2 hours after showing up on a busy saturday we were gone. The only hassle is of course finance managers tryihng to sell Warrantys and Gap insurance. Maybe it's because my wife & I know what to expect but I can usually get a good deal at the Toyota dealers as long as I time it right (rebates/closeout holiday months when auto sales are low). Of course we always have another toyota or high residual vehicle to trade.
It's always nice to find a good dealer regardless of the brand.

Last edited:
In reference to the previous post where the drivers license number was requested - Why do dealerships want to photo copy your license or in this case get the verbal descript of the license? Are they running unauthorized credit checks?

Toyota has been towards the bottom of that list for a gazillion years. It was even at the very bottom or next to last at one point, if I remember correctly.

Yet, on other satisfaction lists Toyota is waaay up there, amongst the clouds, looking down upon the foolish mortals below.

Hmmm.....

"Sales satisfaction can determine whether a customer returns to a dealer for service or recommends a vehicle, said Tom Gauer of J.D. Power.

"What happens with the sales process pretty much sets the tone for the entire ownership experience," he said."

Well, in regards to Toyota and Honda, at least, appears those two makes knock the proverbial stuffing out of that Power's rep's statement.

But, since Powers is seeking profit from their lists one must assuredly look askance at anything they spew or babble or mumble, etc.

Stuffing.

Reminds me.... Turkey Day is near.

Gobble.

Eat and be merry ye lads o' lubrication.

You can even be joyful and gay if yah' wants!!!!!

Burp.

Stuffing. And mashed taters, some gravy, and a bunch more food!!!!!

burp

I got a price on my Acura from Edmunds. Called the sales guy and looked atthe car. Price was inclusive and low enough not to want to go elsewhere, like $1500 off msrp. I oked the price, and tested a silver car w/ 7 miles on it, actually helped take the shrink wrap off. Only thing is I wanted another colour. They could not get my 1st colour and my 2nd choice had to be driven there, 50 miles....blah. I took the silver with only a few miles, barely anyone except me had driven it. Now I like the colour, pretty neutral. Anyway, the deal was smooth...after I decided to just take the one off the lot, it was about 1 hr.

Bottom line, is I could not imagine being BETTER treated. Heck do I want to sit on the salesman's lap and have him sing me a lil song? I'm a man and can wait next to the coffee machine for an hour. Thinking about it, when i bought my used Audi from a Chrysler dealer, I was on-time for delivery appt and had to wait over 2 hours. It was total bull and I was actually ________. There is a big difference between waiting for necessary preperations and paperwork to be done and waiting for stupid staffers who are inept and cannot schedule a paying customer in.

I recommend that anyone buying a new vehicle do the following. Go to Edmunds and use their feature that gives you the average new vehicle sales price in that area for that vehicle. Then access the websites of a few dealerships in your area (including nearby towns) and find out what their asking price is for the vehicle. Then, when you call or stop in at a dealership let them know that you've been on the internet researching sales prices. I've found that a lot of dealership salespersons, once they find out that you've done your online reseach and are shopping around at various places will be much more reasonable about the price that they offer and won't play games with you, because they know that your an informed shopper who can't be snowed under with tricky sales pitches and high prices. Also, know (and tell the salesperson) exactly what you want as to engine, tranny, package, options, etc.

I bought a new Ford Ranger pickup this way. The local dealer knew exactly what I was looking for, called me up a few days after I first talked to them, and told me their was one at a dealership 84 miles away. I went in and talked to them. The first thing I said was that I would not dicker and they should give me their best offer up front and if I didn't like it I'd keep looking. The salesman gave me a figure that was a real good deal. I knew that because I'd done my research. I accepted it. We talked less than 10 minutes before I signed the papers. They had the truck at their dealership in the late afternoon of that day and I drove down and picked it up. Easiest and fastest new vehicle buying experience I've ever had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back